Clear All
  • sand
    • Jan 2007

Qnap Ts-109 /109 Pro

Hi all,

Has anyone here got the QNAP TS-109?
    128MB.. twice what's on the TS101!
    (I'm not sure how new it is)

QNAP 提供 NAS/DAS、網通及智慧視訊方案,並提供 myQNAPcloud Storage 雲端空間與 Cloud NAS,滿足個人與企業需要的儲存、效能、安全性和擴充性。

I just got a reply from Progressive - they are recompiling Slimserver for the 109 and will release in the next week or so. Good news!
    Last edited by sand; 2007-06-12, 07:13. Reason: got more information
    2* Squeezebox 3
    1* SB Duet
    1* SB Radio
    1 * ReadyNAS Pro
  • roamingstudio
    • Aug 2006

Im guessing pretty new as it was not announced last week. On their home page it is 06/06/07 - so erm recent. However the details were leaked by their listing of the TS100 - which had specs for 100, 101 and 109 on it. It will probably appear in Europe sometime in next months...

Comment

• sand
      • Jan 2007

OK, but what do you thnik regarding its Slimserver possibilities..?

Seems like it could solve the performance problems on the TS101, since it has twice the memory (and a more powerful CPU?)
      2* Squeezebox 3
      1* SB Duet
      1* SB Radio
      1 * ReadyNAS Pro

Comment

• Ian_F
        • Nov 2006

It'll be very interesting to see how well Slimserver performs on it. The initial belief was that Slimserver would perform much better on the TS201 but that turned out not to be the case.

If you look at the reported read speeds (and believe them ) then, ignoring Slimserver for now, it'll be a much more impressive performing NAS than the TS101. I could do all sorts with it
        Build your own media server

Comment

• simonjedrake
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Ian_F
          It'll be very interesting to see how well Slimserver performs on it. The initial belief was that Slimserver would perform much better on the TS201 but that turned out not to be the case.

If you look at the reported read speeds (and believe them ) then, ignoring Slimserver for now, it'll be a much more impressive performing NAS than the TS101. I could do all sorts with it
          Now this does look like the real thing, and with the specific support for MySQL I reckon all our niggles on responses times, disc sleeping etc will be a thing in the Past.

This will be "cooking on Gas".

As soon as Progressive have it in the UK & set up etc I will be in there............!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• wahmaster
            • Jan 2007

TS-109 comes to town 18th June!

"Good news everyone!"
            I just got a (very prompt) reply from a UK distributor of QNAP and other NAS's stating the TS-109 Pro will be coming in around 18th June.
            Would love to think this device will give silent/low power 'SS on QNAP' a new lease of life.

Comment

• bonze
              • Jun 2006

The MySQL bit confuses me.

Which version would Slimserver see, the version that is inbuilt into the QNAP or the Linux version on the harddisk??
              Can the installation be made to 'see' the inbuilt version?
              LMS Version: 8.2
              Synology 216+II & Docker
              2x Touch, 2x SB3

Comment

• Ian_F
                • Nov 2006

I presume we'll have to wait for a QNAP version of SS from Progressive? ie. we won't be able to load the existing ones made for the TS101 (or TS201)?

Comment

• funkstar
                  • Nov 2005

I would suspect Progressive would need to tweak the install of SS to take advantage of the built in MySQL. They might also need to change the install mechanism, but that depends on how similar/different the TS-109 software is to the other TS-10x devices.

[Project Log] Funkstars Digital Lifestyle - HEXUS.Community

In use: 1x Touch, 1x Boom, 2x SB3, 1x Controller
                  In a box: 1x Radio, 1x (Beta) Controller, 1x Receiver, 1x SB2 wired (silver), 1x SB (black), 1x SliMP3 (with rear shield)

If you have any others, let me know, I'm interested!!

Comment

• Seineseeker
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Ian_F
                    I presume we'll have to wait for a QNAP version of SS from Progressive? ie. we won't be able to load the existing ones made for the TS101 (or TS201)?
                    I wouldn't count on it. What's in it for Progressive? I think they made the current SS free just to get out of their ongoing commitments to supporting QNAP and SS.
                    SlimServer: 7.4
                    Amp: Rega Mira (Salon) / Creek 4040 (Pallier) / Denon System.
                    Speakers: JMLAB Chorus (Salon) / Scandyna MiniPods (Pallier) / Old Missions.
                    Clients: 3 x Squeezebox 3

Comment

• wahmaster
                      • Jan 2007

I guess Progressive's aim (as a distributor on commission or by adding a small premium for SS preloads) would be to shift boxes to a targeted user base (SS geeks). Especially interested would be TS-101 users who've hit the performance ceiling early and are looking forward to SS releases which can't run on the 101.

For all we know, porting (Progressive) Paul's SS on QNAP to the 109 is easy (-ish) and will help make the device more saleable. I'm sure this thread will extend to reflect the interest in a 101-like enhancement.

Comment

• Seineseeker
                        • Mar 2006

Yes well their commercial website (cooltopia) has been offline for ages, and even if it wasn't I wouldn't buy from them after they left me high and dry with a dud HDD in my QNAP.
                        SlimServer: 7.4
                        Amp: Rega Mira (Salon) / Creek 4040 (Pallier) / Denon System.
                        Speakers: JMLAB Chorus (Salon) / Scandyna MiniPods (Pallier) / Old Missions.
                        Clients: 3 x Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Ian_F
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Seineseeker
                          Yes well their commercial website (cooltopia) has been offline for ages, and even if it wasn't I wouldn't buy from them after they left me high and dry with a dud HDD in my QNAP.
                          Personally I'd prefer one of the many gurus around here to take on the task. It can't be hard, if you know what you're doing obviously. I would give it a go if I had half a clue

In an ideal world QNAP themselves would do it since it undoubtedly increases their sales Infact I may just write to them and suggest it!

Comment

• bonze
                            • Jun 2006

Maybe the guys on the openturbostation group could pick it up.
                            Although I'm not sure any of them actually run SlimServer.....
                            LMS Version: 8.2
                            Synology 216+II & Docker
                            2x Touch, 2x SB3

Comment

• roamingstudio
                              • Aug 2006

Well I for one would be interested... but first I have a PhD to finish this summer... (sorry guys!). However the OpenTS group have got a lot of native applications running... but unfortunately only in chroot (i.e. everytime you reboot you have to chroot back in). One guy working on the installer mechanism unfortunately bricked his TS101 (not from the installer routine though)... and things did not progress much from there.

The currently available software is here http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Ope...ation:Software
                              It includes Perl v.5.8.8 - although im not 100% sure what is needed by SS. There is also a mysql / php / apache integrated server setup also available.

Instructions are a little basic - but once you get your head around the idea of chroot-ing then the packages are relatively easy to install...

Just need to get my hands on a TS109.

NOTE: The TS109 uses a different processor and things might need a recompile first.

Comment

Working...