PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't there more skins?

shanna
2007-06-06, 10:20
I love the fact that slimserver is so customizable and i really appreciate the time that members here have put into making this the best product out there. one thing though that has surprised me is the lack of additional skins to use with slimserver.

i currently use fishbone which seems to be the best out of the "out of the box" ones but i can't help but wonder why there aren't better ones being developed considering it's the interface into everything. am i missing something?

sean

bklaas
2007-06-06, 10:44
They can take a *ton* of time to make "just so". In my case, I did a bit of a paradigm shift by making my skins heavily use javascript to do server actions, but even a straight classic html style skin is not a small task.

That said, slimdevices has been extremely generous about sending out schwag for the pro-bono and fun (at least for some) work myself and others do. On top of that, some appreciative members of the general slim community have sent me gadgets as tokens of their appreciation. On top of *that*, Nokia has sent me free stuff for my work (since I work on a Nokia-specific skin).

I don't do this work for the free stuff, but it sure as shootin' don't hurt.

#!/ben

snarlydwarf
2007-06-06, 11:25
i currently use fishbone which seems to be the best out of the "out of the box" ones but i can't help but wonder why there aren't better ones being developed considering it's the interface into everything. am i missing something?

For many of us, it isn't the "interface into everything"... I use the remote or softsqueeze much more frequentily.

RobHall
2007-06-07, 02:57
I too would like to see more skin development.

We need more bklaas. Maybe Logitech can get some more web interface development going?

mherger
2007-06-07, 03:26
Imagine somebody combined the excellent extjs.com toolkit and SlimServer's new JSON/RPC interface and came up with something like that...