PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded my router

PhilNYC
2007-06-04, 15:06
I had been having some problems with my Transporter connected wirelessly to my network; it was unable to receive an IP address via DCHP, and it couldn't play Internet Radio (it would say it was connected, but couldn't complete buffering of the stations). Then, over the last week, it seemed like the TP was dropping off the network every 30-40 seconds. Network strength was being consistently reported as 85%+, but it kept dropping. The odd thing was that my SB2 was having no problems at all, so I was pretty sure it couldn't have been my router.

That said, my broadband provider (Verizon FIOS) had recently changed router brands; they had given me a D-Link last year that had firmware dated 1995, and in the last few months, they were distributing ActionTec routers. So I decided to upgrade routers to see what happened.

Wow...what a difference! Without changing anything asides from my router, the Transporter is now able to receive IP addresses via DHCP, I can get Internet Radio...and beyond that, there is no sluggishness in using the remote to navigate my music library whatsoever (a problem I did have with the old router).

So...it appears that the router does play a role in how well things work...

JJZolx
2007-06-04, 16:09
So...it appears that the router does play a role in how well things work...

Well, it's 1/2 of the wireless connection. Unless there were signal strength issues I'd suspect the problem was with the ancient firmware running on the device.

For anyone with similar problems and an ISP-supplied wireless router, you can install your own wireless router and place it on the wired network behind the ISP's router. If you set up your new wireless router in 'router' mode (which is normal - it's also possible to use it as a simple wireless access point) then place the SlimServer computer on the same subnet as your Squeezebox. Usually, you'd do this by plugging it into the switch on the new router. If you do this, disable the wireless radio on the ISP's router or remove its external antenna.

snarlydwarf
2007-06-04, 17:28
I'm of the opinion that consumer routers... suck.

At their selling price, there is little motivation for their manufacturers to fix bugs and update firmware. My Belkin had a nasty tendency to gradually fall offline, and there was no firmware fix from Belkin... easier for them, no doubt, to just make me buy a new router.

So I'm not that surprised by your story: there were probably similar bugs in your router (some sort of memory overflow in the NAT tables is my guess on why the Belkin would periodically get stupid) and it was easier to make you get a new one than to fix the old one.

badbob
2007-06-06, 01:27
I'm of the opinion that consumer routers... suck.

At their selling price, there is little motivation for their manufacturers to fix bugs and update firmware. My Belkin had a nasty tendency to gradually fall offline, and there was no firmware fix from Belkin... easier for them, no doubt, to just make me buy a new router.

So I'm not that surprised by your story: there were probably similar bugs in your router (some sort of memory overflow in the NAT tables is my guess on why the Belkin would periodically get stupid) and it was easier to make you get a new one than to fix the old one.

Well that's your problem Belkin=POS. No problems with Billion 7300A, also Speedtouch 780WL seems ok although computers now take a while to automap network drive on startup with the speedtouch.

Both routers are fast in SQ menus.

Ben Diss
2007-11-14, 13:08
Phil- Can you please tell me if you're using WPA or WEP on your Actiontec?