PDA

View Full Version : Album Artist Browsing - PLEASE

luga00
2007-06-04, 13:35
It would be great if Slim could provide an Album Artist category in the browser.
I understand a lot of SB users on this forum are perfectly happy with the fact that when browsing through artists there are hundreds of obscure artists listed by virtue of the fact that they appear on a compilation album somewhere.

There are also a lot of us that don't want to see this and would rather browse by Album Artist.

I've tried everything to get the behaviour I want using the tick boxes on the behaviour page but to no avail.

Surely having a new browse category would please everyone (?)

Russ

Ben Sandee
2007-06-04, 14:15
On 6/4/07, luga00 <luga00.2ro7sn1180989601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> It would be great if Slim could provide an Album Artist category in the
> browser.
> I understand a lot of SB users on this forum are perfectly happy with
> the fact that when browsing through artists there are hundreds of
> obscure artists listed by virtue of the fact that they appear on a
> compilation album somewhere.

I do this all the time. For id3v2, I set the album's band (TPE2) tag to
what I want to browse by (ALBUMARTIST for FLAC).

For example, here's something from the magnolia soundtrack, which I browse
to through Artist->Film Soundtracks->Magnolia:

id3v1 tag info for 01-Aimee Mann-One.mp3:
Title : One Artist: Aimee Mann
Album : Magnolia Year: 2000, Genre: Soundtrack (24)
Comment: Track: 1
id3v2 tag info for 01-Aimee Mann-One.mp3:
TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Aimee Mann
TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): Magnolia
TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): One
TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 1
TORY (Original release year): 1999
TYER (Year): 2000
TPE2 (Band/orchestra/accompaniment): Film Soundtracks

Then, under Server settings -> Behavior, I tick the 'Band/Orchestra'
checkbox and set "group compilation albums together' and 'list albums by
band' options.

Ben

JJZolx
2007-06-04, 14:40
It would be great if Slim could provide an Album Artist category in the browser.
I understand a lot of SB users on this forum are perfectly happy with the fact that when browsing through artists there are hundreds of obscure artists listed by virtue of the fact that they appear on a compilation album somewhere.

There are also a lot of us that don't want to see this and would rather browse by Album Artist.
The "Group compilation albums together" setting is designed to deal with exactly this issue. When this is ticked and you browse by Artist, then you're essentially browsing only the Album Artists. Those artists who only have tracks on compilation albums should not appear.

If it doesn't work, then there must be a problem with the way your library is tagged.

slimkid
2007-06-04, 16:42
The "Group compilation albums together" setting is designed to deal with exactly this issue. When this is ticked and you browse by Artist, then you're essentially browsing only the Album Artists. Those artists who only have tracks on compilation albums should not appear.

If it doesn't work, then there must be a problem with the way your library is tagged.

This takes a little bit of playing with the tags, but eventually gets you where you want to be. You might want to try combining with COMPILATION tag. It will force the album not to be compilation even if there are multiple authors, so It won't be listed under various artists but under band/album artist.

Thing I'd like to see is feature to enable listing by Band/Albumartist for compilation albums only. The way it works right now, at least for me, is that it lists everything that way if album artist tag is populated, so if you want to have 'Baroque Favorites by Sorr' you also have to accept 'Symphony No. 5 by Herbert von Karajan'.
While in the first case Sorr plays compositions of various baroque composers, so it makes sense for him to be listed as an album artist, the whole Fifth is written by Beethoven, and, while Karajan is album artist for that album, I'd like to see it listed 'by Beethoven'.

This example also gives an interesting posibility, Baroque Favorites usually include Bach, Handel and a few less known composers that I don't want in my regular artist listing. So, I blank out artist tag for those composers (move them into comment), force album not to be a compilation, effectively making it listed under Bach and Handle. Makes sense sometimes since I don't like going into Various Artists to search for the music I have forgotten about.

luga00
2007-06-05, 02:57
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll give it a go one more time I think.

One question though, given that I only want to browse by album artist, I still want to 'search' by track artist. Will an artist search now only find Album Artists?

If, for example, a friend asks me if I have any tracks by 'Billy Whatever' and I seem to remember that he appears as a guest on one of my albums (and is indeed the track artist for the track), I'd quite like to be able to find it with a search.

Ben Sandee
2007-06-05, 04:00
On 6/5/07, luga00 <luga00.2rp8tz1181037601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll give it a go one more time I
> think.
>
> One question though, given that I only want to browse by album artist,
> I still want to 'search' by track artist. Will an artist search now
> only find Album Artists?
>
> If, for example, a friend asks me if I have any tracks by 'Billy
> Whatever' and I seem to remember that he appears as a guest on one of
> my albums (and is indeed the track artist for the track), I'd quite
> like to be able to find it with a search.

Several techniques have been mentioned to get things working, so I can't
speak to all of them. The one I described does allow searching the way you
want it.

Ben

luga00
2007-06-05, 05:42
Great, thanks for you help, Ben.
Russ

slimkid
2007-06-05, 08:29
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll give it a go one more time I think.

One question though, given that I only want to browse by album artist, I still want to 'search' by track artist. Will an artist search now only find Album Artists?

If, for example, a friend asks me if I have any tracks by 'Billy Whatever' and I seem to remember that he appears as a guest on one of my albums (and is indeed the track artist for the track), I'd quite like to be able to find it with a search.

I believe that artist search works for every artist. BTW, if you use search functionality a lot (or any at all) you must try 'Lazy Search' plugin. It makes searching so much easier and faster.

luga00
2007-06-05, 14:37
Well, it nearly worked.

...except that every album that has more than one track artist on it is considered a compilation (which not all albums are of course) and are placed in a generic 'various artists' heading.

I still need to see these albums listed as Album Artist.

I'm going to have to rethink this one.

russ

Ben Sandee
2007-06-05, 16:10
On 6/5/07, luga00 <luga00.2rq58n1181079601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> Well, it nearly worked.
>
> ...except that every album that has more than one track artist on it is
> considered a compilation (which not all albums are of course) and are
> placed in a generic 'various artists' heading.
>
> I still need to see these albums listed as Album Artist.
>
> I'm going to have to rethink this one.

What I have on my system is that albums with an album artist but different
artists for each track are double-listed under various artists and also
under the album artist. This works for me personally but I guess a case
could be made to keep them out of VA. Maybe there's a flag combination
that would do it, but I'm happy with this setup because it separates out
soundtracks from the typical compilation stuff.

Ben

slimkid
2007-06-05, 18:12
Well, it nearly worked.

...except that every album that has more than one track artist on it is considered a compilation (which not all albums are of course) and are placed in a generic 'various artists' heading.

I still need to see these albums listed as Album Artist.

I'm going to have to rethink this one.

russ

Well, here is a trick to do that. You need that artist to have at least 1 album that is not a compilation (definitely a bug in SS).

Alternatively, force tag COMPILATION = 0 .

luga00
2007-06-06, 01:36
OK, cheers.

How do I set the compilation tag? I'm assuming that it is 1 by default (which seems very strange to me) as I've never used this tag.

Russ

elziko
2007-06-06, 03:25
Alternatively, force tag COMPILATION = 0 .

I am having the same problem and have tried as you suggest with COMPILATION = 0. This almost works as it does stop the album being treated as a compilation but it then lists each track artist rather than the album artist! All my other albums show up correctly under the album artist tag. Do you not see the same issue?

How do I set the compilation tag? I'm assuming that it is 1 by default (which seems very strange to me) as I've never used this tag.

I used mp3tag to add and set the COMPILATION tag. Try it and see if you have the same problem as me.

MelonMonkey
2007-06-06, 07:56
You either have a buggy build of Slimserver or your tags are NOT correct.

Slimserver has been working properly with regards to compilation albums since I first installed it in November (a 6.5.x nightly).

If you have a NON-compilation album that features different artists (duets, special appearances, remixes, etc..) then do the following:

set ALBUMARTIST to the name of the main artist
set COMPILATION to 0 (off)
set/confirm the ALBUMTITLE exactly the same for every track

If you have a compilation album that should be listed as "Various Artists" do the following:

clear ALBUMARTIST for every track
set COMPILATION to 1 (on)
set/confirm the ALBUMTITLE exactly the same for every track

In Slimserver go to Settings > Behavior and find the COMPILATIONS heading.

Set the first option to "Group Compilation Albums Together"
Set the second option to "List albums by band"
Clear the text box to make sure comps get listed under their default "Various Artists"

If everything is working correctly at this point you can try changing the second option to the other value - though I believe this only affects tracks that have both an ALBUMARTIST and COMPILATION=1 set. I try to make sure my music is tagged with EITHER, but not both.

luga00
2007-06-06, 08:13
Thanks for the replies everyone. Great reply MM.

I'll give this a go this evening.

luga00
2007-06-06, 13:38
Well I have to say that I'm finding this all extremely frustrating to say the least. After playing around with this for
almost 3 hours trying all sorts of combinations of tags, behaviour settings, and rescanning my library about 10 times, I'm almost
ready to throw in the towel.

Each of my tracks (FLAC) is now setup thus: (using an example)

ALBUM = Classic Steven Stills (for all tracks on the album)
ALBUMTITLE = Classic Steven Stills (for all tracks on the album)
ALBUM ARTIST = Steven Stills (for all tracks on the album)
ALBUMARTIST = Steven Stills (for all tracks on the album)
ARTIST = Steven Stills, Jimi Hendrix (for this track only)
COMPILATION = 0

Under COMPILATIONS in the Behaviour settings I have:

Group compilation albums together
List albums by band

I've also tried the band/orchestra box both ticked and unticked.

AND STILL Jimi Hendrix persists in being listed in the Artist browser.
I have no other Jimi Hendrix tracks in my library except this one.

I cannot see what I'm doing wrong here at all.

Russ

ps I'm using 6.5.2

slimkid
2007-06-06, 15:21
Well I have to say that I'm finding this all extremely frustrating to say the least. After playing around with this for
almost 3 hours trying all sorts of combinations of tags, behaviour settings, and rescanning my library about 10 times, I'm almost
ready to throw in the towel.

Each of my tracks (FLAC) is now setup thus: (using an example)

ALBUM = Classic Steven Stills (for all tracks on the album)
ALBUMTITLE = Classic Steven Stills (for all tracks on the album)
ALBUM ARTIST = Steven Stills (for all tracks on the album)
ALBUMARTIST = Steven Stills (for all tracks on the album)
COMPILATION = 0

Under COMPILATIONS in the Behaviour settings I have:

Group compilation albums together
List albums by band

I've also tried the band/orchestra box both ticked and unticked.

Russ

ps I'm using 6.5.2

COMPILATION = 0 - that's what's wrong

JJZolx
2007-06-06, 15:32

Is that literally the contents of the ARTIST tag for that one file?

Ideally, for flac files, you should use two ARTIST tags.

ARTIST=Steven Stills
ARTIST=Jimi Hendrix

JJZolx
2007-06-06, 21:06

Ok, I just realized that I'm seeing the same behavior with the latest 6.5.3. Track-only artists are appearing in the artist list.

I don't use browse by Artist all that much, so I hadn't noticed it before. Either that or some recent changes may have caused this behavior.

It seems to occur on _non_compilation albums with an ALBUMARTIST tag (I suspect it may also happen without an explicit ALBUMARTIST, but I have all albums like this that have guest artists tagged with an ALBUMARTIST).

On actual compilations the track artists don't appear in the artist list. I'll file a bug if this is new.

JJZolx
2007-06-06, 21:27
On actual compilations the track artists don't appear in the artist list. I'll file a bug if this is new.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure that this could actually be considered a bug. The Server > Behavior > Compilations settings would seem to explicitly address handling of compilation albums. And these albums are explicitly NOT compilations. So, technically, maybe there's no reason to expect the suppression of these "track-only" artists from the Artist browse list.

In past versions of SlimServer I believe these albums would be seen as compilations. It was only when SlimServer began accepting the explicit marking of albums as non-compilations, that this sort of thing became possible.

elziko
2007-06-07, 01:44
So, technically, maybe there's no reason to expect the suppression of these "track-only" artists from the Artist browse list.

I agree. Using the checkbox to include "Band/Orchestra" does what it says - shows the band or orchestra in the list of artist. It doesn't state anywhere that it will STOP using the Artist tag when the AlbumArtist or Band/Orchestra tag is present.

In the "Compilations" settings you do have the option to "List Albums By Band" but since this is in the "Compilations" settings it will not affect non-compilations.

So it's not a bug but just a the lack of a feature that seems to be needed.

I have only been using Slimserver for a few days but I want to add this as a request at bugs.slimdevices.com - can anyone see a flaw in my logic or think that i shouldn't add a request for some reason before I do so?

Thanks

JJZolx
2007-06-07, 01:55
I have only been using Slimserver for a few days but I want to add this as a request at bugs.slimdevices.com - can anyone see a flaw in my logic or think that i shouldn't add a request for some reason before I do so?

I've already filed it - as a bug, but it could easily be changed to an enhancement request. Please add any comments you like and _vote_ for it if you'd like to see it addressed.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5108

luga00
2007-06-07, 02:00
Yes, after hours of exprimentation and frustration that is exactly the nature of the bug.
Thanks for submitting it.

Russ

MelonMonkey
2007-06-07, 07:41
One thing I did not specify in my "directions" post was that I was using Slimserver exclusively with MP3 files at the moment. So while the behavior described (listing by ALBUMARTIST if present) is working, I don't know for certain that it will work the same way for FLAC.

This tagging and setting method turns out to be the cleanest and most straight forward to getting albums listed in the same order in both Slimserver and iTunes.

Case in point:

Groove Armada's "The Dirty House Sessions." For all intents and purposes, it is a compilation album, where all except two tracks are from different artists (those two are by Groove Armada themselves). Lately I have been doing all tagging in iTunes and have cleared the COMPILATION tag and set ALBUMARTIST to "Groove Armada"

This will list the album as being by "Groove Armada" in both iTunes and Slimserver.

Slimserver will not list the individual artists when browsing by artist. IMO, this is the correct behavior and doesn't need a setting. If you set ALBUMARTIST it should override the track artist for the display and sorting of the album unit, while showing the track artist when looking at the individual track. There's not much point to that tag if this weren't the case.

If I set the compilation tag, iTunes will list the album under "Various Artists" regardless of the ALBUMARTIST setting.

Now, iTunes has a bug in it that requires an additional tagging step that has only been possible since 7.1. With the ALBUMARTIST tagged for every track, the album will still not sort under that artist in iTunes. Instead it gets sorted according to the name of the artist for the first track. To fix this you have to change the TSOP (ARTISTSORT) for the first track (or all tracks) to be the same as ALBUMARTIST - "Groove Armada" in my example.

This may very well have broken in a recent nightly. I was having all kinds of scanner issues with the nightlies last month so I reverted to an older version from February. I will probably update sometime this week and manually clean out all caches for a complete rescan to see what's what.

In summary, I believe the above bug report is only valid because ALBUMARTIST is set. Otherwise I would not consider it a bug to see the individual artists listed. There's no fool-proof way for Slimserver to otherwise know what constitutes a "full album."

slimkid
2007-06-07, 08:45
I agree. Using the checkbox to include "Band/Orchestra" does what it says - shows the band or orchestra in the list of artist. It doesn't state anywhere that it will STOP using the Artist tag when the AlbumArtist or Band/Orchestra tag is present.

In the "Compilations" settings you do have the option to "List Albums By Band" but since this is in the "Compilations" settings it will not affect non-compilations.

I don't thing it's a bug - just very slopy and 'not well though' solution. Even though 'List Albums By Band' is in the Compilation section, it actually applies to all albums. To me it makes sense to to list compilations by band, but not clear one artist albums. However, there are scenarios where it might be different. So, it takes a lot of time and the creativity with your tags to get things to behave the way you want it most of time. Bad thing is, once they change it in SS, it will be doing it all over again.

elziko
2007-06-07, 09:00
Even though 'List Albums By Band' is in the Compilation section, it actually applies to all albums.

If that is true then there is a 'bug' in the UI since that is not what the UI states. And if you are correct then there is a scanning bug too... I have 'List Albums By Band' checked but Slimserver performs a 'List Albums By Band And By Artist'!

This is all starting to make me feel a little dizzy! LOL

slimkid
2007-06-07, 11:25
If that is true then there is a 'bug' in the UI since that is not what the UI states. And if you are correct then there is a scanning bug too... I have 'List Albums By Band' checked but Slimserver performs a 'List Albums By Band And By Artist'!

This is all starting to make me feel a little dizzy! LOL

You are right since we are talking about slightly different things. I'm talking about how album title shows in listings and in SB when 'by artist' option is included in formatting.

luga00
2007-06-08, 06:03
OK, I've been round the houses with this and I've finally hit upon a way to get exactly what I wanted.

I now get all my artists listed as Album Artist with no various artist folder at all.

Just one point - I'm using MP3Tag to tag my FLAC files so I can't vouch for any other method of tagging or other file formats.

Firstly, I realised that having the COMPILATION tag was generally messing everything up for me (even if it was set to 0), so I stripped it out of all my tracks. I then realised that the band/orchestra tick box was not working at all so after a bit of digging in these forums I found that although I was using both ALBUM ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST tags, the key tag in MP3Tag is the BAND tag. I copied the ALBUMARTIST tag value to the BAND tag value for all my tracks, rescanned and, voila, it shows all my album artists (ahem Bands) in the artist list with no track artists at all.

So to recap.

1)Don't use the COMPILATION tag
2)Make sure the there is a BAND tag in all your tracks showing what would normally be the ALBUMARTIST
3)Make sure the Band/Orchestra tick box is ticked.
4)Clear and rescan.

Hope this info works for someone else.

Russ

shlomomofo
2007-06-15, 12:20
did you leave the ALBUMARTIST tags intact? i have the same server setup as you, and still can't seem to get the BAND to appear in the artist list. they all just go into the generic various artist category.

for all album artist albums, i have BAND (i.e. ID3 TPE2) and ALBUM ARTIST (i.e. ID3 TXXX) set to the same thing. i use ALBUM ARTIST because it works well with foobar2000.

i use foobar2000 to tag, so maybe that is the issue. shouldn't be, though......

ec461
2007-09-10, 08:50
Is "ALBUM ARTIST" = "ALBUMARTIST"?

Foobar, my main player, seems to like "ALBUM ARTIST" instead of "ALBUMARTIST" but I wanted to be sure that SlimServer recognizes "ALBUM ARTIST". I can't test this yet as I haven't bought a SB yet.

Secret Squirrel
2007-09-10, 10:32
Is "ALBUM ARTIST" = "ALBUMARTIST"?

Foobar, my main player, seems to like "ALBUM ARTIST" instead of "ALBUMARTIST" but I wanted to be sure that SlimServer recognizes "ALBUM ARTIST". I can't test this yet as I haven't bought a SB yet.

You don't have to wait to download Slimserver. It's FREE. Sounds as though there might be a few unexpected behaviors when you have both, but it's easy to test. Just go here, http://www.slimdevices.com/su_downloads.html, to download and test for yourself.

Then you can adjust your tags if necessary using Foobar.

Best of luck! HTH

SS