PDA

View Full Version : No display on the SB3 unit

robt
2007-06-04, 10:55
It grieves me to write this having waited two months for my SB3, but...

Okay, I plug in the power and switch on (I slotted in the three pronged bit into the plug to get the 'UK plug').

There's absolutely nothing on the display. I can see that there's a red light shining behind the black plastic over the SP/DIF, so there is some power in the unit. Pressing the remote buttons (batteries inserted) does nothing.

Do I have a dead unit?

PS I notice the manual tells you to plug in an ethernet cable before you switch it on. I presume this isn't needed for the wireless version.

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-04, 11:02
At first I wrote: "Can your SlimServer communicate with it?

Have you tried the brightness button on the remote?"

but you should have seen a splash screen on startup, even without a remote or a SlimServer.

Contact support at slimdevices dot com.

robt
2007-06-04, 11:06
Nope, no splash screen at all.

JJZolx
2007-06-04, 11:51
Wouldn't hurt to try doing a factory reset. Unplug the power, point the remote at the unit and hold down the ADD button while plugging in the power again.

robt
2007-06-04, 12:00
Just tried that but it's as dead as a dodo.

JJZolx
2007-06-04, 12:04
Just tried that but it's as dead as a dodo.

(I'm going to hate myself for asking...)

Which logo is on the dead Squeezebox? :-)

Skunk
2007-06-04, 12:11

Should be the same one advertised on the home page (but probably isn't).

robt
2007-06-04, 12:35
(I'm going to hate myself for asking...)

There's a lovely little Logitech logo on it.

Anoop M.
2007-06-04, 16:53
Try a factort reset. Unplug the unit and WHILE you plug it back in hold down the add button on the remote.

crooner
2007-06-04, 17:08
I wonder if they [Logitech] have already "streamlined" production to China...

Seriously though, I experienced the exact same problem with my SB3 (made before Slim Devices was sold). But it wasn't dead out of the box. It had worked perfectly for 5 months before this happened. Had to send it back for repair. Great service, BTW.

Anoop M.
2007-06-04, 17:12
Not in China, still being made in California. Send an email to support if the factory reset did not do the trick.

crooner
2007-06-04, 17:27
Good to know it's still "Designed and manufactured in Mountain View, California, USA"

I'm sure technical support will take good care of this issue.

robt
2007-06-05, 00:46
I've tried the "pressing Add and unplugging/plugging" but it's still dead. I've emailed tech support.

One thought I had was whether the power supply wasn't supplying enough power. I don't have any other PSUs to check it with, unfortunately.

I've done a search through the forum and there are plenty of instances of broken displays/PSUs, so it seems I'm not alone. It's just a pain that this has happened out of the box before I've had a chance to play with it!

I'm hoping I can get a replacement unit from ripcaster.co.uk where I got it from. They are located quite near to me.

robt
2007-06-05, 06:13
ripcaster.co.uk have dispatched a replacement SB3 for me today. Great service from them.

Skunk
2007-06-05, 06:50
Not in China, still being made in California.

That's a linguistic stretch, bordering on misinformation: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=180051&postcount=12

snarlydwarf
2007-06-05, 08:48
One thought I had was whether the power supply wasn't supplying enough power. I don't have any other PSUs to check it with, unfortunately.

I would suspect something lose in the SB itself, jarred in shipping. (Despite "Do not Juggle" labels on the box, some shipping companies think that means that hacky sack is ok...)

I've done a search through the forum and there are plenty of instances of broken displays/PSUs, so it seems I'm not alone. It's just a pain that this has happened out of the box before I've had a chance to play with it!

The fresh-outta-box-death has often been related to the juggling, though. Some people have been given the okay to look inside and reseat stuff themselves, but that depends on how much you trust yourself.

Good for your fast replacement tho: sucks to have the pleasure of new toys delayed in any way.