PDA

View Full Version : Cannot find Slimserver

UNCMo96
2007-06-04, 09:49
I have 2 squeezeboxes. Both are version 3, one is silver and about 2 years old and the other a black one is only a few months old. The black one connects and plays from everywhere. The silver one has a lot of problems finding the slimserver. Is there anything I can do to remedy this?

Both are on a WEP protected network with Windows firewall. The silver one usually has no problem finding the network and connecting, but it does have problems finding the slimserver.

peejay
2007-06-04, 16:39
Check this first : http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cg...BeginnersGuide.
You don't mention if you've performed any rudimentary troubleshooting yourself - such as checking the signal strength of the silver device compared to the black, for instance, even though as you say the silver device finds the network OK.
Does your server have a fixed ip address?
Check the ip address which the silver SB3 has configured for slimserver when it's having problems connecting. Try running the silver device without the black one switched on, as an exercise...
Turn off your firewall and test again.
Cheers

UNCMo96
2007-06-06, 19:56
I suspect my issues are wireless signal strength related. Now the black one is acting up! It seems to be positional as neither one has problems when in my basement (router is in the basement). I tried disabling firewalls, static IP, etc. I was thinking about using homeplug ethernet to connect the squeezeboxes as I don't think I'd be able to get a reliable wireless connection. I was thinking about getting these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833173011
since they cost cheaper than most of the powerline connectors out there and have good reviews. Anyone have any comments?

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-07, 08:58
You have a good point - like radio aerials, wireless access points need elevation. The higher the better. They definitely do not like to be in the basement.

There are a lot of positive comments out there for HomePlugs - it seems when they work, they work well and require no fiddling. Unfortunately it seems most of the negative comments are from North America - the wiring isn't as compatible and can lead to problems. Also you can't use a HomePlug in a surge protector.

UNCMo96
2007-06-07, 09:25
My router is in the basement in one corner of the house, probably the worst place for a router to be. Unforutnately from a home living/ergonomics standpoint it's the best place to be.