PDA

View Full Version : SB3 won't recognize wireless network anymore

cruster
2007-06-03, 10:59
I searched the forums and didn't find anything on this particular issue - if this is a repost I apologize in advance.
My SB3 has arbitrary stopped recognizing my wireless network. I have had the 'Box for about a year; I've had problems with it from time to time but never anything like this. It literally just stopped seeing the wireless network in my house with no preceding event or anything that seemed like it would have caused any issue...I was listening, it suddenly cut out and said that it couldn't connect to the wireless network, and I haven't been able to make it work since.
I've reset to factory settings to no avail. I can't connect to it from my Mac so I have no idea what to try. The wireless network is functioning fine; I can stand right next to the SB3 with my laptop and search the web to my heart's content.
It's pretty frustrating...
The error I get is not that it can't find the network but that it "can't connect" to the network. I do have 64-bit WEP security on, but I've verified the password in the SB3, I've reentered it, I've done everything I can think of.
If anyone has any ideas I could really use the help.
Thanks!

- Brendan

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-03, 11:03
Check the troubleshooting procedures in http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkProblemsBeginnersGuide

cruster
2007-06-03, 11:05
Passed on all counts. The SB3 was working for a year before this "issue."

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-03, 11:06
No, did you actually walk through the wiki? Turned off encryption, tried wired, etc?

cruster
2007-06-03, 11:19
I read through it...I didn't actually apply every step in it because I didn't change anything in my configuration that would have caused a problem. Encryption had been working just fine, the network is fine, I am not using Super G mode, I'm not using MAC filtering, I'm not using a fixed IP address. I get what you're saying but I didn't make any configuration changes so the configuration that I had should be fine I would think...? Wouldn't most of these things be applicable for a new connection that isn't working, not an established one? The only thing I haven't tried that might be of some help is connecting the SB directly to a router, which I haven't done yet because it's going to be a pain in the neck trying to wrestle the power-supply from behind my A/V system so I can take it down the hall to the router. But I guess I may not have a choice...just hoping someone else had been through this already.

cruster
2007-06-03, 11:24
Just for kicks I turned off encryption on my wireless network. The SB3 still wouldn't connect. What is odd though is:

- if I backtrack into current configuration, SB3 will show me the signal strength of the network, so it's "seeing" it somehow.

- it's also "seeing" it well enough to show the SSID, and when I turned encryption off and went back through the configuration options for a wireless connections, it no longer prompted me for a WEP key.

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-03, 11:25
It would help to go through the checklist because we could isolate the problem. It looks like your wireless card failed but we can't be sure - your firewall software may have changed settings without you knowing (this happens).

If you can immediately connect wired, we know it's not software. But before you write it off try connecting wirelessly without encryption.

pfarrell
2007-06-03, 11:45
cruster wrote:
> I read through it...I didn't actually apply every step in it because I
> didn't change anything in my configuration that would have caused a
> problem.

Yes, others have gone through it already, which is why there is the
checklist.

WiFi is not isolated. Your neighbor can put in a WiFi access point and
change the network in your house.

I had exactly this happen to me, the neighbor's WAP was stronger than
mine, and everything in my house wanted to default to connecting next door.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

y360
2007-06-03, 23:57
Be sure to verify the MAC address has not been corrupted, it should match the sticker underneath

I had a similar issue (see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33162) which ended up being a faulty wireless card in the SB3

Rambaud
2007-06-04, 00:27
My SB3 (Wireless version) has not worked for the following reasons :

1. Lost MAC address (remedy = re-input it).

2. PC has lost Broadband connection (remedy = re-move and re-insert USB dongle).

3. New Firewall stops SlimServer from finding SB3 (remedy = revert to Windows Firewall).

cruster
2007-06-09, 11:30
Thanks to all who helped and told me to stop being a stubborn moron. My SB was...well out of whack. The MAC address was quite corrupted, and the player was also showing itself as an SB2 in the player information screen. Nice.
MAC address reset, firmware update, and all is well in the world again.
Thanks!

Mark Lanctot
2007-06-09, 13:28
Thanks to all who helped and told me to stop being a stubborn moron. My SB was...well out of whack. The MAC address was quite corrupted, and the player was also showing itself as an SB2 in the player information screen. Nice.
MAC address reset, firmware update, and all is well in the world again.
Thanks!

Actually the SB2 and SB3 are identical in terms of firmware, so the server normally can't tell them apart.

There was some discussion to detect it by MAC address which may or may not have been implemented, maybe this was why it changed. But a corrupted MAC address will screw things up for sure.

cruster
2007-06-09, 13:36
Actually the SB2 and SB3 are identical in terms of firmware, so the server normally can't tell them apart.

There was some discussion to detect it by MAC address which may or may not have been implemented, maybe this was why it changed. But a corrupted MAC address will screw things up for sure.

I didn't know that about the firmware - after I did the update though it reverted back to displaying SB3.

The important part is that it's working like it oughta. I had no idea how much I relied on the darn thing until it blew up.