PDA

View Full Version : Streaming CD Content

slutz
2007-06-02, 01:33
Hi,

I now have several Squeezeboxes. I also have lots of CDs. What I was thinking about was streaming my CDs directly to the Squeezeboxes. That means I am looking for some software that not only plays the CDs but also creates a stream URL while playing. With that I could use the Squeezeboxes to connect to that stream and listen to music coming from my CD.

Does somebody know of such software?

Thanks,
-slutz

point7
2007-06-02, 08:07
Why direct streaming ? Why not ripping (EAC + FLAC) ?

aubuti
2007-06-02, 08:12
Especially if you have multiple SBs, you'll enjoy them a lot more if you rip them to a lossless format and stream them using slimserver. I dare say that for 99.3% of users(*) that is the main point of having a SqueezeBox. And far better than some kludge to get your CD player to stream to the SB.

(*) completely made up statistic.

erland
2007-06-02, 15:49
Check the Wave Input plugin announced recently in the third party plugins section, when I read its description it sounds pretty close to what you want.

autopilot
2007-06-03, 14:43
I'm completely baffled. What exactly do you use your several SB3's for then?

You do realise that FLAC sounds as good as, if not better, than CD's.

Sounds like they are a bit wasted, please send one to me :)

slutz
2007-06-03, 23:20
It's pretty simple. I have lots of un-ripped CDs. And I don't want to rip them before I listen to them.

autopilot
2007-06-04, 03:07
There was a plugin that allowed you to play a CD in the PC's CD tray through the SB, not sure what it was called though.

Also, Foobar2000 can generate a stream that can be played through slimserver. I have done it with an MP3, But as foobar can play CD maybe you can stream that too.

Seems like a lot of work though. Why not just listen to them on the PC or CD player to decide which ones you want to rip?

Georgie
2007-06-06, 09:24
@slutz: I understand your wishes very well. I use also such a solution to listen to the CD to decide if I would rip it or forget it.
The solution depends on your equippment. If you play your CD on a PC with Win 2000/XP and have a copy of the slimserver running on the same machine, then you can use winamp or foobar to play the CD and feed the output of your soundcard to the excellent "Wave Input plugin" (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35718&highlight=Wave+Input+plugin)
If you don't have a soundcard or don't like to use it, then try the software "Virtual Audio Cable" (http://www.ntonyx.com/vac.htm).
The result: You have access from all squeezboxes which are connected to the server above to the music stream with the content of your CD.
Georg

slimkid
2007-06-06, 09:39
There was a plugin that allowed you to play a CD in the PC's CD tray through the SB, not sure what it was called though.

Also, Foobar2000 can generate a stream that can be played through slimserver. I have done it with an MP3, But as foobar can play CD maybe you can stream that too.

Seems like a lot of work though. Why not just listen to them on the PC or CD player to decide which ones you want to rip?

There are solutions and there are solutions. :) Main thing to remember is that if you play CD in your PC and want to listen to it on your main system, you have to get up and walk to the PC in order to skip track - not very effective, especially if they aren't on the same flor. My solution was to buy $50 DVD player and attach it to my main system - good for reviewing CDs and gives you pretty much an idea how it is going to sound through SB. All that while sitting in your chair with the remote in your hand.