PDA

View Full Version : Multiple favourites

Ron1
2007-06-01, 11:53
Hi, hope somebody can advise...

I hoping to receive my SB3 any day now (just been dispatched), but something I'd like to know is if it possible to have multiple favourite lists?

It's something my wife has asked me as we have different tastes in music. Ideally, I would like to come in, select my name, and then play my favourites on random. My wife, with her different tastes in music would like to be able to do the same, but with her favourites list. Is this possible with the basic SlimServer software? If not, is there a plugin that will do this?

Thanks,

R.

Rick B.
2007-06-01, 12:10
There's a few ways to go. I have simply marked all of my wife's favorite albums with a Genre = Nancy. Then I can select Random, exclude all other Genres and select Nancy.

Ron1
2007-06-01, 12:46
Hi Rick,

Thanks for that.

Although I can see how that works, I'm slightly worried that it may be slightly cumbersome to put into practise. My wife is a very clever lady, but when we were initially talking about the SB3, one of the pitfalls highlighted by her was how hard it would be to use in everyday use. I assured her that using it would be a piece of cake...

Is the genre method easy to use on a day to day basis, swapping quite a few times daily? Also, I have two young lads, and it will only be a matter of time before they want their own favourites too.

Thanks again,

R.

Ron1
2007-06-06, 11:28
Hi again,

Just wondering if there are any other work arounds people use for this, or maybe there's a plugin I haven't found?

Thanks,

R.

Siduhe
2007-06-06, 11:45
It's something my wife has asked me as we have different tastes in music. Ideally, I would like to come in, select my name, and then play my favourites on random. My wife, with her different tastes in music would like to be able to do the same, but with her favourites list. Is this possible with the basic SlimServer software? If not, is there a plugin that will do this?

Thanks,

R.

There's a couple of ways to do what you want - the first is simple, but a bit "blunt"; the second & third requires a bit more setting up than the other, but if you're happy to do this for your wife, it will be easy enough for her to operate:

1. Organise your music into seperate libraries. We have //Music/Siduhe/musicfolders and //Music/Ruffers/musicfolders.

She can then use the Browse Music Folder functionality to browse just her own music, or can all her music to a playlist and set it to play at random.

This works fine if she only has a bit of "her" music, but if she partiuclarly wants to listen to favourites, then not so good.

2. Create a "her favourites" playlist - i.e. get her to add her favourites to a playlist - you can use the "zapped" playlist to make it easy to add stuff to the playlist whilst it is being played (there's a recent post on this functionality). She can then add that playlist to now playing and set it to play at random.

3. Use the Custom Browse plugin / Multi Library plugin. I am only just getting to grips with this fantastic plugin from Erland. It basically allows you to define subsets of your music [Her Music] by file path, genre or COMMENT tag. If you have a lot of music (we have over 1000 albums) it's a really good way to keep your music library manageable. You can make Slimserver just look to that defined subset temporarily and get it to play randomly from that subset. We have very different tastes in music too, and use Last.fm a lot, soit's totally stopped me from polluting my other half's history with house music and breaks and beats. Similarly, I've no longer got goth creeping into mine.

HTH

Ron1
2007-06-07, 14:01
Excellent!

Many thanks for reply Siduhe. I'll try some of the methods mentioned and let you know how I get on.

Again, many thanks for all the replies,

R.