PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my music on to server?

DoubtfulBadger
2007-05-30, 17:34
Hi there,

I'm hoping that my SqueezeBox will arrive by the end of the week. I've installed Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn) on to a PC and I have the SlimServer software running OK.

What I don't know how to do is get my music on to the PC (from CD.) Remember this is the server version, so I'm not running it graphically.

Can anyone give me any pointers or tell me of any programs that I might have pre-installed.

Any help will be appreciated.

SuperQ
2007-05-30, 18:45
Hi there,

I'm hoping that my SqueezeBox will arrive by the end of the week. I've installed Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn) on to a PC and I have the SlimServer software running OK.

What I don't know how to do is get my music on to the PC (from CD.) Remember this is the server version, so I'm not running it graphically.

Can anyone give me any pointers or tell me of any programs that I might have pre-installed.

I use "abcde" (apt-get intstall) to rip/enocde my music to FLAC.

There are a couple of other decent command line rip/encode apps, but abcde is very scriptable.

JJZolx
2007-05-30, 20:15
Hi there,

What operating system is your PC (not the server) running?

Getting the music off of the CD and into files suitable for SlimServer is basically a three step process, although it's most often done all at once:

1. You extract the music from the CD to an uncompressed WAV file. This is called Digital Audio Extraction (DAE), although it's most commonly referred to as "ripping".

2. You compress the uncompressed file using some compression scheme (or "CODEC", for compression/decompression). Here you have a decision to make. Either you can choose a "lossless" compression format or a "lossy" one. Most commonly for use with the Squeezebox that would be FLAC for lossless and MP3 or OGG for compressed. The choice is mainly one of fidelity vs. storage space. A lossless compression scheme may only save you you 35-45% of disk storage space when compared to an uncompressed music library. Using a lossy format like MP3, on the other hand, you might save as much as 90%. The tradeoff is in the audio quality. Lossless will sound exactly same as the original CD, but an MP3 or OGG will have some degree of lower quality. The lossy formats usually have different quality levels from which to choose (with the same space vs quality tradeoff) and most people find that at some level the audio is virtually indiscernible from the original.

3. You 'tag' the file with additional data such as artist name, track title, album name, genre, date, etc. This isn't possible with WAV files, but pretty much all compressed audio formats have a means of tagging, with different degrees of flexibility. Flac is the most flexible (equivalently, Ogg and APE), while Mp3 is close.

Like I say, in practice this is usually done all at once. The uncompressed WAV file is usually deleted after a compressed file has been generated from it.

The software you'll need to do this will depend on the PC's operating system - Windows, Mac, Unix, etc. - and on the file format that you choose to store your library.

DoubtfulBadger
2007-05-31, 01:41
What operating system is your PC (not the server) running?I can use either Windows XP (on my laptop) or Ubuntu, Feisty Fawn (on my desktop.) My ultimate preference would be the desktop but for the moment I have loads of music on my laptop in .WMA format and none on my desktop.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-05-31, 03:57
To transfer music files from a Windows machine, you can use WinSCP, a secure FTP program:

http://winscp.net/

DoubtfulBadger
2007-06-05, 01:45
Thanks to all who replied. Thanks, Pale Blue, I now have my WinSCP working. My SqueezeBox still hasn't arrived though I know it has been dispatched.

I have been trying to lay a bit of groundwork and as part of that I have managed to get SoftSqueeze running. However, after transferring loads of WMA files to the server, it wouldn't play any. The message that appears is, "Problem: Can't play file:" followed by the name of the file.

It is working OK for MP3 files.

Any ideas?

bpa
2007-06-05, 03:25
Unlike an SB3 - softsqueeze cannot play WMA files so they have to be transcoded on the server. The necessary app (wmadec.exe) is provided on Windows but on Linux you have to install other apps such as FFMpeg or mplayer see:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?WMA