PDA

View Full Version : Firmware download

thesil
2007-05-29, 07:37
I am sorry, but I just don't understand how to get the latest firmware without the new SS 6.5.1. Bonz explained it to me in a previous post, but I am very confused. I am on a MAC OSx running SS 6.5 ans SBv3. Could someone walk me thru in layman's terms please. Thanks

dSw
2007-05-29, 12:44
The firmware is automatically updated when you install and run the latest version of Slimserver, so when you install 6.5.2 your Squeezebox will automatically update to the firmware that came with it.

Edit: However, I believe (but I'm not sure) you can also get it by connecting to Squeezenetwork then disconnecting. Apparently your Squeezebox will then prompt you to upgrade.

thesil
2007-05-29, 12:47
I understand that; however, I do not want the new 6.5.1 , just the firmware

amcluesent
2007-05-29, 12:59
>I do not want the new 6.5.1 , just the firmware<

Maybe the firmware is written to use new features of the slimserver?

thesil
2007-05-29, 14:05
maybe, but my SB3 has been playing perfectly, and after reading the horror stories about the new download, I do not want to fix what aint broken

dSw
2007-05-29, 14:10
maybe, but my SB3 has been playing perfectly, and after reading the horror stories about the new download, I do not want to fix what aint broken

So, if you don't mind me asking, why do you want to update the firmware?

I wouldn't avoid 6.5.2 simply because you've seen a few "horror stories". Remember that most people will only post if they have problems or need help, which implies that the majority of 6.5.2 installations have gone smoothly (mine included).

EFP
2007-05-29, 14:12

updating the firmware ahead of the software sounds like a good way to break something that doesn't need fixing

azinck3
2007-05-29, 14:17

FYI, we're up to 6.5.2 now (you keep mentioning 6.5.1). Inevitably there are people who have trouble but it's very stable, in my experience far better than 6.5.0 and would really recommend that you upgrade.

Regardless, here are the instructions you seek:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=180849&postcount=8

Note that that post was written a little while ago and refers to firmware 75; you will need to substitute the latest firmware #--I think we're at 81 at this point.

Also, while the consensus seems to be that firmware associated with 6.5.1 and 6.5.2 is interoperable (squeezenetwork-related changes only, I believe), I'm not at all confident that the latest firmware will work flawlessly with 6.5.0. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on that.

prabbit
2007-05-29, 14:46
I installed SlimServer for the first time about a month ago. I installed a build of 6.5.2. I've never used 6.5.1 (or earlier). When I got my Squeezeboxes, I installed firmware 81.

While I've had questions about how to get things to work for me or for clarification about SlimServer, I've never had a problem that I can associate specifically to 6.5.2. So, count me as a happy user of 6.5.2.

Of course, I belong to the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But if there are features in 6.5.2 that you want or bug fixes that you need, then upgrade.

thesil
2007-05-30, 06:43
No, I was on 6.5.1. already. I meant 6.5.2. anyway, I will do it