PDA

View Full Version : TS101 + Slimserver

Grey Fox
2007-05-29, 05:58
Hi to everyone, this is my first post.
I am running slimserver on a TS101 NAS drive connected via ethernet cable to a netgear wireless router. My PC is running XP and also connects wirelessly. Basically, I cannot run squeezebox without having the PC on. Squeezebox only seems to recognise the main PC as the host despite me trying to force it to look at the IP address of the NAS drive. Internet radio is OK, Antivirus is NOT installed (yet) and the router is set to allow traffic between IP addresses.

Any ideas on how to acheive this would be most welcome.

Thanks

Dworin
2007-05-29, 08:08
How did you install the Slimserver on TS101? Thanks.

jjrobb
2007-05-29, 08:27
You have configured the Slimserver on the TS-101 using the ip address:

aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:9000

I assume? (e.g. 192.168.001.002:9000)

Let us know how you get on.

shake-the-disease
2007-05-29, 18:29
Hi to everyone, this is my first post.
I am running slimserver on a TS101 NAS drive connected via ethernet cable to a netgear wireless router. My PC is running XP and also connects wirelessly. Basically, I cannot run squeezebox without having the PC on. Squeezebox only seems to recognise the main PC as the host despite me trying to force it to look at the IP address of the NAS drive. Internet radio is OK, Antivirus is NOT installed (yet) and the router is set to allow traffic between IP addresses.

Any ideas on how to acheive this would be most welcome.

Thanks

First confirm the IP of the TS101 and try to connect to SS via the web interface (on port 9000) via your web browser. If you connect successfully then it's just a matter of pointing your SB at it, if not then there is likely a problem with the installation of SS on your TS101.

Grey Fox
2007-05-30, 00:33
Basically, I downloaded the 6.5.2 slim server version for Windows, copied it into public folder of the TS101 and ran the .exe from there. I pointed the slimserver to folders where I wanted it to look for music and playlists on the TS101, but the quick launch and systray icons I accepted the defaults for C: drive.

roamingstudio
2007-05-30, 01:14
In other words you have configured your PC as your slimserver; and have stored the files on the remote TS101. This is not actually they way to do it!

The TS101 uses a PowerPC processor running linux. It uses a service called 'Samba' to allow the hard disk to be served to remote computers (like windows). To install SS on the TS101 you therefore need to install the PowerPC version of SS... and do a lot of other magic stuff. The quickest install package is provided by progressive AV - http://www.progressiveav.com/ts101_update/

1. Update the firmware to a telnet enabled version (firmware number should end in a T)
2. Then install the SS packages - start with 6.3.1 then upgrade to later versions.

Search this forum for further SS on TS101 instructions.

Grey Fox
2007-05-30, 05:45
Message to Roamingstudio.

Many thanks my friend, your suggestions about telnet etc seem to make sense to me. I will try them out and let you know how I get on.

Once again thank you.

Grey Fox
2007-06-02, 11:45
Please Help. I have updated my firmware on the TS101 to Version 2.0.1 Build 0302T for telnet. I have also Un-"RAR"ed the "install_ts101201.rar file from progressiveav.com to my P:\Public drive on my TS101. Using the command line, I can telnet to the TS101, but as soon as I try to reach the folder with the "install.sh" file by using the "cd/share/HDA_DATA/Public", the command line tells me "folder not found". I cannot therefore install the 6.3.1 version of slimserver. Do I need to create "/share/HDA_DATA/Public" folders or what?
Would it be incorrect to just extract the 6.5.2 version that I have onto my shared P:\ drive?

terry_gardener
2007-06-02, 11:55
instead of typing cd/share/HDA_DATA/Public try typing cd /share/HDA_DATA/Public. i made this mistake at first.

there is a space between cd and /share