PDA

View Full Version : Weird Nokia 770 Skin Problem (w/ Nokia N800)

patherb2
2007-05-28, 10:45
I just upgraded to 6.5.2 to take advantage of the Nokia 770 skin as well as the enhanced Vista compatability. I was previously using the Touch skin with 6.3.1. Everything seems to be working perfectly except for one annoying problem. When I am running SS on my Nokia N800 there is an issue with the bar at the bottom of the screen that displays the number of songs, artists, and albums as well as server settings and player settings. When I scroll, the bar does not remain at the bottom of the screen. Instead, it moves up or down as I scroll and tends to obscure artists, albums, etc. This problem only occurs when running SS on the Nokia. The skin works fine on my desktop. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

NigelMSB
2007-05-28, 13:00
I've just noticed this one too (after updating to 6.5.3 via svn).

It's not the any of the settings (optimised view/zoom level/address bar/full screen) that are causing it. Also, I've got another installation of 6.5.2 via svn that was checked out a month or so ago and that's totally fine, so something recent must have caused it.

patherb2
2007-05-28, 14:24
At least I'm not alone. Hopefully someone will look into this and provide a fix.

NigelMSB
2007-05-28, 15:45
Hopefully someone will look into this and provide a fix.I've created a bug for this problem. http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5093

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-28, 21:25
Has anyone contacted Ben Klaas (bklaas) about this? He's the Nokia770 skin developer and he's usually very conscientious about looking into stuff like this. He must be on vacation - today's a holiday in the U.S.

kdf
2007-05-28, 22:17
On 28-May-07, at 9:25 PM, Mark Lanctot wrote:

>
> Has anyone contacted Ben Klaas (bklaas) about this?

He's been scarce of late, but the bug report is filed and I've left a
task or two for anyone interested in providing more details.

-kdf

bklaas
2007-05-29, 07:01
I'll take a look at it this week. My paying job has been munching up all my spare cycles, which accounts for my relative scarcity.

This sounds like a CSS thing, which means it will take somewhere between 20 seconds and 10 years to fix ;)

cheers,
#!/ben

patherb2
2007-06-04, 09:05
Any luck Ben?

bklaas
2007-06-04, 09:19
My system (6.5.2, Ubuntu Linux) doesn't show this issue when using the Nokia770 skin on my N800. However, it *does* show this issue when using the Touch skin on my N800.

First question: are you sure you are using Nokia770 and not Touch from your N800?

Second question/theory: KDF mentioned something recently about SS now bouncing users to Touch if they were trying to use SS from a browser whose user-agent was identifying itself as MSIE (i.e., Internet Explorer). This is potentially a problem with the N800 browser (Opera), which has the capability of spoofing itself as an IE browser. Could this be that? My hunch is no, since I don't have the issue, but maybe.

bklaas
2007-06-04, 09:22
Alright, I'm clearly confusing myself. After reviewing the bug http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5093, this is marked as RESOLVED/FIXED by our benevolent KDF.

So, pantherb2-- your choice is to upgrade to the latest 6.5.3 nightly to get the fix, or wait until there's another minor or major release to pick up the fix.

#!/ben

patherb2
2007-06-04, 13:20
Will try the nightly. Tks

NigelMSB
2007-07-21, 01:38
My system (6.5.2, Ubuntu Linux) doesn't show this issue when using the Nokia770 skin on my N800.My N800 with the older firmware worked fine (since the UA included "Maemo", so Nokia770 wasn't redirected to Touch), but with the new firmware it didn't (since "Maemo" was changed to "Tablet browser"). Unless you're on the new firmware on a N800, it should work fine.

NigelMSB
2007-07-21, 01:41
Alright, I'm clearly confusing myself. After reviewing the bug http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5093, this is marked as RESOLVED/FIXED by our benevolent KDF.I'm sure I re-opened the bug. Unless I'm being thick, the status is NEW, not RESOLVED/FIXED.

Edit: Sorry. I seem to replying to an old thread in response to an email notification of a new post. Something funny must be going on with the forum software/email notification.

oreillymj
2007-07-21, 03:00
I posted what I believe is a fix for both N770 & N800 users to this bug but it hasn't been added to trunk.

I've been running Slimserver with perl until I can pick up a nightly with the fix.

Toma!
2007-07-21, 08:56
I'm sure I re-opened the bug. Unless I'm being thick, the status is NEW, not RESOLVED/FIXED.

Edit: Sorry. I seem to replying to an old thread in response to an email notification of a new post. Something funny must be going on with the forum software/email notification.

No, you're not crazy... I posted here last night but then found the large Nokia 770 thread and removed my post and added my inquiry over there. Sorry...

So is there a fix out there, or a temp workaround solution?

NigelMSB
2007-07-21, 09:36
No, you're not crazy... I posted here last night but then found the large Nokia 770 thread and removed my post and added my inquiry over there. Sorry...

So is there a fix out there, or a temp workaround solution?
Ha! That explains it.

Yes, if you're running SlimServer via Perl then you can edit Slim/Web/HTTP.pm to change the check for "Maemo". See http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5093 for the three patches to see where to make the change. If you're not, then you'll have to wait for a fix to be made to the nightly builds.

mherger
2007-07-21, 11:44
> I posted what I believe is a fix for both N770 & N800 users to this bug
> but it hasn't been added to trunk.

I'm not sure whether doing this in the server code is the right way.
Wouldn't it be easier to adapt when it was done in JS within the skin?

Michael

kdf
2007-07-21, 11:51
On 21-Jul-07, at 11:44 AM, Michael Herger wrote:

>> I posted what I believe is a fix for both N770 & N800 users to this
>> bug
>> but it hasn't been added to trunk.
>
> I'm not sure whether doing this in the server code is the right way.
> Wouldn't it be easier to adapt when it was done in JS within the skin?
>
the idea was to simply serve up a working skin to a non working IE,
rather than an obvious and slower js redirect
from one skin to another.

however, as nokia can't make up their minds....js could be one option.
"tablet browser" and "arm" should be more reliable things to look for I
expect.
otherwise, looking for the full and exact IE7 and IE6 strings, allowing
anything else to block the redirect may do nicely too.
-kdf

oreillymj
2007-07-22, 14:52
Actually I don't think Tablet Browser is in the Agent string for all firmware version of the N770 & N800

The patch I posted checked for what I found to be common.

Opera, Linux & arm

bklaas
2007-07-22, 19:30
Actually I don't think Tablet Browser is in the Agent string for all firmware version of the N770 & N800

The patch I posted checked for what I found to be common.

Opera, Linux & arm

Sorry for the long delay...

The patch you posted was exactly as I would have written it. The only reason that it hasn't been checked in is because I didn't get around to it over the last week. I do promise to do so in short order. For reasons I will post in a separate thread, I should be a bit more attentive to All Things Slim now.

Michael-- on whether this should go in the JS instead of the server code... perhaps, but it's not the shortest path to a solution here, since there's already code in HTTP.pm to support this (though slightly broken right now). I'll write a note to myself to explore handling this in javascript and when I do that I'll pull the redirect code out of HTTP.pm entirely.

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2007-07-22, 19:47
For reasons I will post in a separate thread, I should be a bit more attentive to All Things Slim now.

this would be that thread...
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=37025

mherger
2007-07-22, 23:34
> Michael-- on whether this should go in the JS instead of the server
> code... perhaps, but it's not the shortest path to a solution here,
> since there's already code in HTTP.pm to support this (though slightly
> broken right now).

For the user it's really not so important at first sight. The only problem
is he'd have to update slimserver to get the new perl code, whereas the JS
could edited rather easily. But then Nokia won't come out with a new
device for the next few months, will they?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

oreillymj
2007-07-23, 08:46
I'd disagree that Javascript would make this issue any better or worse.

Editing the N700 skin to do a re-direct leaves the user with a file that they then have to remember not to overwrite with a nightly or new release. Once you start implementing work-around's like this, it becomes a chore to do upgrades.

The ultimate fix is therefore in the hands of the developer just like it is now.

bklaas
2007-07-23, 12:37
incorrect skin redirect fixed in HTTP.pm for both trunk and 6.5 branches. svn 12410 and 12412, respectively.

markwm
2007-07-23, 12:56
I have this bug also on a Loox 720 with Opera Mobile.

kolding
2007-07-23, 13:00
I just got an N800, and noticed the same thing. I think I noticed that it worked in the intended way, ie, the bar stayed at the bottom, with the software that came on the N800, but when I upgraded it to the newest version from Nokia, the bar started moving when I scrolled.

I think....

Eric

bklaas
2007-07-23, 13:20
I just got an N800, and noticed the same thing. I think I noticed that it worked in the intended way, ie, the bar stayed at the bottom, with the software that came on the N800, but when I upgraded it to the newest version from Nokia, the bar started moving when I scrolled.

I think....

Eric

I just fixed the redirect issue about an hour ago. You'll need to either a) download the *next* nightly build when it comes out or b) use a subversion checkout for your slimserver. Nightly builds can be found at
6.5 branch (stable):
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.5/
7.0 branch (pre-release):
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.0/

#!/ben

oreillymj
2007-07-24, 01:26
Thanks Ben.