PDA

View Full Version : DSL - connection ends when I make a phone call

NauticusLX
2007-05-27, 15:58
I installed a DSL modem yesterday, had been using cable satisfactorily, but noticed just now that when I make a phone call, the connection to internet radio stops as soon as the phone I'm calling starts to ring. The appropriate filters provided by Verizon are in use. I'm checking in here rather than call Verizon because operation of the SqueezeBox wouldn't be something Verizon could specifically address. So, is this typical for all DSL users, and is there a way to avoid this problem?

btw, my intention is to get the cheaper DSL rates, and simplified wiring, even though up and download speed is about the same. But fortunately I still have the cable rigging set up and can easily revert back to cable at this point - I'm subscribing to both right now.

azinck3
2007-05-27, 23:48
I installed a DSL modem yesterday, had been using cable satisfactorily, but noticed just now that when I make a phone call, the connection to internet radio stops as soon as the phone I'm calling starts to ring. The appropriate filters provided by Verizon are in use. I'm checking in here rather than call Verizon because operation of the SqueezeBox wouldn't be something Verizon could specifically address. So, is this typical for all DSL users, and is there a way to avoid this problem?

btw, my intention is to get the cheaper DSL rates, and simplified wiring, even though up and download speed is about the same. But fortunately I still have the cable rigging set up and can easily revert back to cable at this point - I'm subscribing to both right now.

This is not normal. I have two thoughts: if your squeezebox is wireless it's possible your cordless phone is interfering with it when the phone rings. Otherwise I'd suggest the filters are installed wrong or you have some sort of phone wiring issue. Can you confirm that you lose internet access in general when the phone rings, or does your squeezebox just stop working? You say "internet radio stops working"...does navigating the interface with the remote also get sluggish/unusable?

NauticusLX
2007-05-28, 01:38
Since my initial post I've narrowed down the problem:
When I pick up my cordless phone, to MAKE a call, and simply press the on/off button, my Squeezebox immediately loses it's (wireless) connection. This is before I've dialed any numbers. While on the phone, I can reconnect the SB by repeatedly pressing the right arrow. However, when I finish on the phone and push the on/off button again, the SB turns back off again. As if my phone on/off button is acting as an SB on/off switch - very undesireable. (At this time I don't know yet what would happen if I RECEIVED a call.)

I don't know if the SB is responding to the beep made by my phones on/off button, or if some other signal is being sent to the SB wirelessly. The filters that came with the DSL modem are installed properly. I'm experiencing no other anomalies with the phone (a regular cordless phone), SB, or my computer.

I checked with Verizon customer service, but there seems to be nothing wrong with the DSL service generally, so at this point the fault seems to be with the SqueezeBox.

Ramage
2007-05-28, 03:59
This is not normal. I have two thoughts: if your squeezebox is wireless it's possible your cordless phone is interfering with it

As suggested by Azinck, this looks like interference from the cordless phone to the SB wireless link. The systems share the 2.4Ghz frequency band, and mutual interference is common, especially if the wireless signal to the SB is low.

To reduce the effect, the first step is to move the cordless base station as far as possible from the SB, and your wireless access point.

If separation does not work, you could try changing channels on your router/wireless access point.

You could also check the operation of the DSL by using a standard analogue phone to make a call whilst monitoring the SB.

NauticusLX
2007-05-28, 21:08
Unfortunately, your suggestions don't help. Incidentally, my cordless phone is older than the 2.4GHz standard. I'm waiting to hear from tech support - any other ideas, fellow SB lovers?

azinck3
2007-05-28, 22:08
Unfortunately, your suggestions don't help. Incidentally, my cordless phone is older than the 2.4GHz standard. I'm waiting to hear from tech support - any other ideas, fellow SB lovers?

Do you only run off of squeezenetwork? If you have a local install of slimserver you could connect to that, then try using the phone. If the interface freezes or the music stops when you use the phone then it's a wireless problem. If not, then it's likely a DSL problem. Either way, I can't see how it's a squeezebox problem.