PDA

View Full Version : IR Controlled ON Off Switch

barrygordon
2007-05-26, 09:19
I decided to upgrade the music system in the Master Bedroom. I had laying around an old (but very good) stereo power amp and two old but very good speakers (Yes, I am a pack Rat). The stereo amp was made before IR came into use and doesn't even have a power switch. The amp is a Mitsubishi DA10 rated at 100 watts / channel and the speakers are Shahanian Obelisks which now go in the neighborhood of $3000/pair

The squeeze box works fine and with the IR plugin I can get an IR command when it powers on and off.

I quick web search found IR controlled AC outlets but the price was unrealistic, generally required some sort of IR Receiver to feed the unit and often just did a toggle on a single command. No Good!

I found a small company called Simerec that makes some IR control chips. They have a very nice wide band IR Receiver and a control chip (SIS-2) that did (after the told me about an undocumented feature) exactly what I wanted. I put the whole thing together in a small Radio Shack project box for a total cost of about $60. The construction details and parts list are posted on my web site (www.the-gordons.net). All parts came from Radio shack with the exception of the two pieces from Simrec.

The unit takes a direct cable connection from the Slim devices player (The IR emitter is in the box taped to the receiver, a poor mans optically coupled IR receiver) and has a set of Normally open contacts rated at 5 amps 125 Volts AC. The box first has to be taught the two commands, then it is on its own.

A $60 IR controlled SPST relay (The actual relay is DPDT)

Claus-DK
2007-05-28, 12:05
I decided to upgrade the music system in the Master Bedroom. I had laying around an old (but very good) stereo power amp and two old but very good speakers (Yes, I am a pack Rat). The stereo amp was made before IR came into use and doesn't even have a power switch. The amp is a Mitsubishi DA10 rated at 100 watts / channel and the speakers are Shahanian Obelisks which now go in the neighborhood of $3000/pair

The squeeze box works fine and with the IR plugin I can get an IR command when it powers on and off.

I quick web search found IR controlled AC outlets but the price was unrealistic, generally required some sort of IR Receiver to feed the unit and often just did a toggle on a single command. No Good!

I found a small company called Simerec that makes some IR control chips. They have a very nice wide band IR Receiver and a control chip (SIS-2) that did (after the told me about an undocumented feature) exactly what I wanted. I put the whole thing together in a small Radio Shack project box for a total cost of about $60. The construction details and parts list are posted on my web site (www.the-gordons.net). All parts came from Radio shack with the exception of the two pieces from Simrec.

The unit takes a direct cable connection from the Slim devices player (The IR emitter is in the box taped to the receiver, a poor mans optically coupled IR receiver) and has a set of Normally open contacts rated at 5 amps 125 Volts AC. The box first has to be taught the two commands, then it is on its own.

A $60 IR controlled SPST relay (The actual relay is DPDT)

Perhaps I'm wrong here, but wouldn't you have been able to do the same with the AMPSwitch plugin?

http://www.gwendesign.com/slimserver/dev_hard_and_software.htm#ampswitch

I use it with alle three SBs of mine. Works perfect.

Regards
Claus

barrygordon
2007-05-28, 12:23
Yes now that I know about it. Still would have to build some stuff but at about half the cost.

What I have is more general in nature. I do a lot of work in Home Automation and Home Theater control systems. I always am looking for a simple IR controlled relay with discrete On and Off codes that can be learned. Now I have one.

Thanks for the pointer.