PDA

View Full Version : Harman Kardom Soundsticks II

Siduhe
2007-05-25, 16:19
Hey all - we are in the throes of purchasing our third SB, for a bedroom set up.

We have good speakers downstairs and a soon to be even better set in the study / listening room...so the bedroom set just needs to be usable and look great.

Considering the Soundsticks, but they only have a 3.5 headphone jack output. Could we get an adapter to turn 3.5 into analogue inputs suitable for the SB or is that just a waste of time?

Anything similar looking you would recommend (but sub-Nautilus prices) ?

Edit, I of course, mean Harman Kardon...

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-25, 16:23
Considering the Soundsticks, but they only have a 3.5 headphone jack output. Could we get an adapter to turn 3.5 into analogue inputs suitable for the SB or is that just a waste of time?

Available at any Radio Shack - a 3.5 mm (1/8") stereo to 2 RCA adaptor.

Like so:

http://www.daydeal.com/files/images3/blk_rca_cable.jpg

BTW I assume you mean the Soundsticks input is 3.5 mm and how to connect it to the SB output, right? Note, of course, the signal can flow both ways in an adaptor like I included.

funkstar
2007-05-26, 02:51
I have the same setup in my bedroom.

I connected them with stereo to 3.5mm jack and then a barrel connector to couple the two 3.5mm jacks together.

They do sound spretty good, but i am usually just listening to BBC radio with them at relatively low volume. I don't know what they would be like if you cranked them up :)

Pale Blue Ego
2007-05-26, 06:54
The Soundsticks look like a worthy option if you can get them for about $130. The only thing I would worry about is the blue LED maybe being too bright in a dark bedroom.

funkstar
2007-05-28, 10:33
The blue LED on mine is no longer visible :)

For long enough i just threw an old t-shirt over the sub to cover it up, but eventually got round to doing something a bit more permenant.

There are four feet, these have rubber pads on them. Pull the pads off (no glue is involved) then lever out the feet using a flat headed screw driver (they can be a bit tight). Using a long thin phillips head screw driver you can remove the screws holding the thing together.

I can't remember if there was anything else i needed to un screw, but i removed the plastic push on diffuser over the LED and covered it with a couple of layers of black electrical tape and re-assembled the whole thing.

Job done :)

datakits
2007-05-28, 10:47
I have the Soundsticks connected to the headphone 3.5mm of my 3rd SQ3 in my bedroom. it sounds very impressive. the other 2 SQ3 are linked to separate Amps and wall speakers so are a klot louder than the self powered Soundsticks but i didnbt expect the same output.

These soundsticks look the part and sound very good. I also tested thge JBL Spot in Black. They have a very similar sound and are a lot cheaper. Take a look at: www.datakits.co.uk/store/jbl-spot-black-piece-powered-satellite-speakers-subwoofer-p-3124.html

Just depends what style you like i think

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-28, 20:52
I have the Soundsticks connected to the headphone 3.5mm of my 3rd SQ3 in my bedroom.

Just a comment - you may want to consider the adapter cable I linked to. They are quite cheap.

The SB headphone output is connected to a small amp. If you amplify the already-amplified signal you will compromise sound quality. Better to use the unamplified analog signal (RCA jacks).

mephisto
2007-05-31, 07:20
I'm pretty sure the adapter you want comes in the box with the Soundsticks.

Sam Lowry
2007-05-31, 07:36
The Soundsticks look like a worthy option if you can get them for about $130. The only thing I would worry about is the blue LED maybe being too bright in a dark bedroom.

My solution to the "alien under the bed problem" was to get a switch (a few $) from my hardware store which I plug the speakers into, easy to switch it off at night. Saves electricity also.

funkstar
2007-05-31, 16:15
My solution to the "alien under the bed problem" was to get a switch (a few $) from my hardware store which I plug the speakers into, easy to switch it off at night. Saves electricity also.
Not so good if you use your SB as an alarm clock though :)

My SB and soundsticks in the bedroom are actually switched off during the day.