PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't SS like CSN&Y?

verbatone
2007-05-25, 14:35
I have an odd issue with SS...it won't include Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young as an "Artists." The only album I have by them is "Deja Vu", which is how the folder is represented. The meta data uses "Déjà Vu" for the album name.

I can find it under "Déjà Vu" in Albums, but I cannot find "Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young" under "Artists." I can also play the whole album either through "Albums" or "Music Folder"

Interestingly without Neil Young, "Crosby, Stills & Nash" show up as an artist.

Also, if I search for "Crosby" it comes back with all the CSN&Y stuff, but if I click on the CSN&Y name in any of the song info pages, it finds nothing.

I'm a little puzzled, I usually use "Artists" to find most music.

Ross L
2007-05-25, 14:43
Sounds like it could be this:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4882

Are there any other contributor tags outside of the artist? Perhaps try updating to the latest nightly build of SlimServer 6.5.3:

http://slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/SlimServer_6_5_x_v2007-05-25/

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-25, 14:53
Take a look at Server Settings - Behavior - Multiple Items in Tags. Is there a "&" there? If so, it thinks "Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young" consists of two artists: "Crosby, Stills, Nash" and a second artist, "Young". :-)

If you also had "," in Multiple Items in Tags it would think there was FOUR artists.

Just delete the "&" but be aware if you have other artists this way where there really are two artists, they won't be separated anymore.

aubuti
2007-05-26, 04:42
Just delete the "&" but be aware if you have other artists this way where there really are two artists, they won't be separated anymore.
Or, if you want to avoid the risks of deleting "&" as a tag separator, retag the artist name using "and" instead....

verbatone
2007-05-26, 20:11
I looked at the Multiple Items in Tags setting and found no entry. Again, Crosby, Stills & Nash works and shows up, it's just once it's CSN&Y that it doesn't work. I also looked at the tags with easytag and there's no difference between the CSN&Y files and the rest of my files. It's a mystery to me. Otherwise my files all behave properly in SS. I did upgrade to 6.5.3 and there's no change.

aubuti
2007-05-26, 22:08
What format are the files in? If they're mp3, have you checked for the presence of multiple tags (eg, ID3v1 and ID3v2, or possibly APE)? Almost all the tagging weirdness like this I've run into is with multiple tag types on mp3s, which can make slimserver confused.