PDA

View Full Version : A Couple Newbie Questions

Videodrome
2007-05-25, 06:44
Hello everyone! This is my first post. I just got my Squeezebox about 2 weeks ago and I love it!

As background, I am using EAC with AccurateRip and FLAC for compression. For the moment, the CDs are being saved to my hard drive, but I plan on purchasing an external USB harddrive for music storage. The Squeezebox is currently streaming digital to an external DAC which then goes analog out to my pre /pro.

After working out a couple bugs with my EAC configuratrion, things are going pretty well. However, I am still struggling with a couple newbie issues I thought you may be able to help me with. Forgive me if my questions and assumptions appear stupid, as I'm still learning my way around FLAC, EAC, ripping, etc:

First, my CD drive is running painfully slow. Either I have set FLAC to a very high level of compression and/or my internal CD drive just ain't cutting it. It takes 15-20 minutes to rip a CD. One took about 90 minutes, and I noticed the message "cooling down drive" appeared on the status screen during various stages of the ripping process. I've only ripped about a dozen CDs on a fairly new computer, so I doubt I could have burned up the drive that quickly. Would an external CD drive be more robust / faster, or is something set up wrong here?

Second, can someone point me to the steps for ripping double CD sets? I recall seeing a link somewhere, but cannot seem to find it.

Third, I'm at a loss as to how to set the "Various Artists" thingy on EAC. Looks like people's setting are all over the place and I can't discern why one is preferable to another.

Thanks in advance!

- VD

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-25, 07:05
First of all, welcome to the forum!

First, my CD drive is running painfully slow. Either I have set FLAC to a very high level of compression and/or my internal CD drive just ain't cutting it. It takes 15-20 minutes to rip a CD.

This is slightly on the slower side for EAC, but not unusual. EAC is not a fast ripper - it's an accurate one. There are tricks you can do which will speed it up like switch to burst mode then test & compare, but your speeds are not unusual. There's a setting to rip & encode simultaneously, make sure to enable that as the drive won't wait idle while the encoding takes place. Ripping is I/O bound - i.e. the I/O speed of the optical drive takes precedence. Encoding is CPU bound. You can easily do both simultaneously.

One took about 90 minutes, and I noticed the message "cooling down drive" appeared on the status screen during various stages of the ripping process.

EAC must have detected errors. Did you notice the little red checkboxes filling up and did you see "Read Error" and "Synch Error" notices in the ripping status window?

I've only ripped about a dozen CDs on a fairly new computer, so I doubt I could have burned up the drive that quickly.

Still, heat kills electronics. Also a hot drive doesn't read as well as a cool one. You can set whether your drive will stop to cool down at all as well as how long it will go before cooling down and how long it will wait to cool down.

Would an external CD drive be more robust / faster, or is something set up wrong here?

Probably not. An external drive will transfer data more slowly, in fact, but since ripping is such a slow process it won't saturate a USB 2.0 connection anyway. Still, it won't be any faster.

Your setup appears normal and EAC is doing what it's supposed to.

amcluesent
2007-05-26, 08:11
>Either I have set FLAC to a very high level of compression <

Download FLAC 1.1.4, which is much faster at compression at level 8.

Set EAC to cool down the drive only after 60 minutes of ripping (F9->Extraction Tab)

Make sure you have decent ASPI driver (Nero?)

My drives (Pioneer 110/111 DVD) rip at about 6x. Some disks seems to fall back to 2x :(

Balthazar_B
2007-05-26, 08:41
Just one suggestion to add: with EAC, try burst mode (which will do one run to check the disk and another to rip it). I've found it to be much faster than non-burst, even if that seems counterintuitive.

Skunk
2007-05-26, 09:03
Just one suggestion to add: with EAC, try burst mode (which will do one run to check the disk and another to rip it). I've found it to be much faster than non-burst, even if that seems counterintuitive.

I agree, but be sure to use test and copy when using burst mode. There is no error detection, but if you get a timing problem (or non-match in accurateRip for pop discs) try in secure mode instead.

Videodrome
2007-05-30, 08:41
I will try some of these suggestions.