PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox 3: House-Wide Audio using iTunes

alfamale
2007-05-25, 05:28
Hi All

This is a pre-sales enquiry if you like...I am about to move house and want to extend the audio system from the lounge to the kitchen, bathroom and main bedroom and given that it is an old stone-built house, I don't want to have to chase cables into walls or run them around skirting boards.

In the lounge I will have a MacMini running iTunes, external 160gb HD with the music on and a wireless adsl modem/router (courtesy of Sky Broadband). I also have two ethernet homeplugs, which are currently being used to network the MacMini and a G4.

My questions are therefore this:

1. If were to buy SB3's for each of the rooms (except lounge) will I be able to stream music from the MacMini to each of the SB3's using the modem/router (or homeplug)?
2. Can I just attach powered speakers to each of the SB3's or do I need a hi-fi or amp between them?
3. Am I right in thinking that the music is stored remotely on the HD and not on the SB3's?
4. If all of the SB3's are on an functioning, can each one play a different track or radio station?
5. Can I do all of this without my partner noticing that I've spent the money on SB3's and not the American-style fidge/freezer!!!! If I can't, she may have to go!!!

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Cheers
Alfamale

James_B
2007-05-25, 05:48
1 Yes
2 Yes
3 Yes
4 Yes
5 No, but best of luck..

alfamale
2007-05-25, 05:50
I like it!!!

4mula1
2007-05-25, 06:26
5. Can I do all of this without my partner noticing that I've spent the money on SB3's and not the American-style fidge/freezer!!!!

This has me curious, what exactly is an "American-style fidge/freezer?"

alfamale
2007-05-25, 06:31
I meant fridge not fidge...sorry!

bfg58simon
2007-05-25, 08:44
When it comes to wireless, if investing in many SB's I'd dip your toe in the water first.

peterw
2007-05-25, 09:07
When it comes to wireless, if investing in many SB's I'd dip your toe in the water first.

3 wireless Squeezeboxes is nothing if the wireless network is OK. And there's the 30-day return policy if you buy from Logitech. And the Spring White Sale that's scheduled to end in 3 days.

Questions 1 & 3 bother me a bit. Many iTunes users' libraries are largely built of DRM-laden files from iTunes Music Store. Those won't work as-is (at all?). Ripping CDs with iTunes to Apple Lossless? Doesn't work as well as FLAC. I'd suggest doing a bit more research on Squeezebox and iTunes to help guide your expectations. Maybe start here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToiTunes
and here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?CodecComparison
and perhaps do what many customers have done, download Slimserver, install it, and try to get a feel with the SoftSqueeze emulator. SoftSqueeze is a bit of a resource hog, and on my dual G5 Mac (no, I don't use iTunes) it is much "jumpier" than a real Squeezebox, so it's mostly good for getting a general sense of how the real hardware works.

-Peter

4mula1
2007-05-25, 09:29
I meant fridge not fidge...sorry!

Regardless of the typo, I'm still curious as to what it is. What's different about the American style?

James_B
2007-05-26, 05:59
In the UK it is a full height unit with two cabinets and a lot of width and depth. Like a "Smeg".. maybe also with an external ice maker or some other silly attachment such as an LCD. Is that not the Indiana style?