PDA

View Full Version : Slick Squeezebox/Transporter Google Ads

sleepysurf
2007-05-24, 14:20
Happened to be surfing the Stereophile News web page (http://www.stereophile.com/news/), and up popped some very slick ads for both the Squeezebox and Transporter, in both Banner and Sidebar "Google Ads" windows! I normally ignore those, but these were really cute, with taunting text rolling across the simulated "display", beckoning me to click for more. Well done! (You might need to refresh the page a number of times before those ads rotate through).

Anybody else seen these?

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-24, 14:35
I block most ads, but the Google ones can't be blocked. It comes up with interesting choices as I see all my Slim Devices threads via GMail - it usually tries to sell me a Roku. ;-)

Ben Sandee
2007-05-24, 18:30
On 5/24/07, Mark Lanctot <
Mark.Lanctot.2r3x8n1180042801 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> I block most ads, but the Google ones can't be blocked. It comes up
> with interesting choices as I see all my Slim Devices threads via GMail
> - it usually tries to sell me a Roku. ;-)

Does google have ads? *cough* CustomizeGoogle *cough*

Ben

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-24, 20:06
*cough* CustomizeGoogle *cough*

Whoa - slick!!! Nice extension!

peter
2007-05-24, 23:39
sleepysurf wrote:
> Happened to be surfing the Stereophile News web page
> (http://www.stereophile.com/news/), and up popped some very slick ads
> for both the Squeezebox and Transporter, in both Banner and Sidebar
> "Google Ads" windows! I normally ignore those, but these were really
> cute, with taunting text rolling across the simulated "display",
> beckoning me to click for more. Well done! (You might need to refresh
> the page a number of times before those ads rotate through).
>
> Anybody else seen these?
>

Cute indeed ;)

Regards,
Peter

amcluesent
2007-05-25, 09:04
>Whoa - slick!!! Nice extension!<

Yep, that one plus AdBlock, Remove It Permanently and NoScript - make the web as it was meant to be...

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-25, 09:09
Unfortunately I'm having problems with it and GMail. Conversations are not being updated when I send a message in the conversation or when a new message comes in on the conversation. I can fix this by going back to the inbox, but it's almost as much of a pain as seeing the ads.

The extension also seems to be mucking around with my cookies - all my exceptions have been wiped.

If I can't resolve it I'll have to uninstall it.

GoCubs
2007-05-25, 11:04
Before I got the SqueezeBox ad to appear I got one promoting buying a Sonos for Dad for Father's Day... Wonder which ads are getting more click thrus...

-Greg

4mula1
2007-05-25, 11:14
Before I got the SqueezeBox ad to appear I got one promoting buying a Sonos for Dad for Father's Day... Wonder which ads are getting more click thrus...

-Greg

I quit counting all of the Sonos ads before I *finally* got the Squeezebox ad. I was beginning to think the Squeezebox ad was a hoax...