PDA

View Full Version : slimp3slave or similar for Palm

Tazman
2007-05-24, 09:39
Greetings!

I have an old HP e-Vectra (300MHz celeron) box that serves up slimserver as a headless box near my home AV system.
I have managed to hookup a Palm T5 via a D-Link bluetooth dongle to this box (running Ubuntu 7.04). However I find the web interface to slimserver (even the Handheld skin) EXTREMELY slow (due to lack of caching on the Palm side).

Does anyone know of a slimp3slave-like app for Palm that is more responsive? I tried btamp but it seems to be a discontinued app. Even though it controls xmms, it does not seem to list playlist contents (hence serves no purpose as a GUI!).

Aside: I do have an IR remote (an old serial-port based Creative Labs remote) working just fine. But I like to browse my playlist (without lugging my laptop around).

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-24, 16:45
You sure it's not the box that's slow? A 300 MHz Celeron is pushing it, both for Ubuntu and for SlimServer.

Might want to try Xubuntu or SlimCD (http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=763), which is based on DSL.

Tazman
2007-05-24, 19:19
Thank you for the feedback.
Yes, I am running Xubuntu. I would like to explore SlimCD. However, my CDROM barely works. I managed to install Xubuntu over the net using a minimal image -- getting this system up was a challenge by itself :)

I tested the box's capability by connecting to slimserver via my laptop and the response was very good. I used xmms and softsqueeze for testing and both worked fine without loosing stream. Hence, I'm convinced that the culprit is the browser in the Palm + connection speed to the palm (achieved via ppp over bluetooth at ~ 115kbps).

Aside: I used to run Mandrake 10.0 on this box and used a Creative Labs serial port IR remote. But inability to browse my growing playlist drove me towards a GUI-based remote.

mherger
2007-05-24, 23:10
> Yes, I am running Xubuntu. I would like to explore SlimCD. However, my
> CDROM barely works. I managed to install Xubuntu over the net using a
> minimal image

SlimCD is probably smaller than the minimal image: around 100MB

Michael