PDA

View Full Version : Can itunes and slimserver be on different boxes?

Stuart
2007-05-24, 06:25
Hi...

I assumed itunes and slimserver can be on different boxes. But after
poking around for 10 minutes in the list and wiki - well - either it's
common knowledge this is impossible or I'm searching with the wrong key
words.

4mula1
2007-05-24, 07:27
Yes, they can be. You just have to tell SlimServer the path to the itunes library.xml file. It's been long enough since I did it I can't remember whether you specify just the path or path + filename.

Stuart
2007-05-24, 07:41
Thanks, but - isn't there something missing? How does it (slimserver)
know which computer on the network it's suppose to look at? What if
there are two iTune boxes offering up music?

4mula1 wrote:
> Yes, they can be. You just have to tell SlimServer the path to the
> itunes library.xml file. It's been long enough since I did it I can't
> remember whether you specify just the path or path + filename.
>
>

4mula1
2007-05-24, 08:03
** Mods please move this thread to general discussion **

You need to setup the folder with the itunes music library.xml file to be shared. You then tell SlimServer to use that share on that computer.

st2000
2007-05-24, 08:38
** Mods please move this thread to general discussion **

You need to setup the folder with the itunes music library.xml file to be shared. You then tell SlimServer to use that share on that computer.

Sorry about starting out in the dev list - forgot about looking here.

Anyways...
My iTune is on a WinXP box - WinXP can share folders? Ok, I'll try it. But on the iTunes web page of slimserver, there is only the instructions to add a path - not to tell it to use a share - what am I missing???

You couldn't be suggestion that it is necessary to export the directory of music on the box that iTunes is running on (WinXP) and then mount that on the local machine where slimserver is running (Linux FC6). Then provide a path to that mount point to slimserver as if the files were local - could you? I would have though slimserver would have used that apple DAAP protocol. It would be easier just to use OpenSource Software like "GetItTogether" for access to iTune files between different boxes. Is it accurate to say the iTunes feature of slimserver is meant for slimserver and iTunes running on the same box? If so, that really leaves the Linux people out in the cold.

4mula1
2007-05-24, 08:58
Anyways...
My iTune is on a WinXP box - WinXP can share folders? Ok, I'll try it. But on the iTunes web page of slimserver, there is only the instructions to add a path - not to tell it to use a share - what am I missing???

You couldn't be suggestion that it is necessary to export the directory of music on the box that iTunes is running on (WinXP) and then mount that on the local machine where slimserver is running (Linux FC6). Then provide a path to that mount point to slimserver as if the files were local - could you? I would have though slimserver would have used that apple DAAP protocol. It would be easier just to use OpenSource Software like "GetItTogether" for access to iTune files between different boxes. Is it accurate to say the iTunes feature of slimserver is meant for slimserver and iTunes running on the same box? If so, that really leaves the Linux people out in the cold.

When I shared iTunes it was between Solaris 10 and XP. Solaris, I learned, doesn't include support for sharing via SMB (which is how Windows shares files and such). Linux does. Do a `man smbmount` to get the gory details, but effectively you will mount the XP folder \\xp_box\itunes_folder* to something like /music on your Linux box and tell SlimServer to use the /music folder (or whatever you name it). It's seriously that easy.

As far as Solaris goes, I bought an nfs daemon for Windows and make my shares that way. In the end it all works the same.

*names changed to protect the innocent