PDA

View Full Version : Help with Album Artist Search

philvis
2007-05-23, 20:08
I have 447 artist folders on my NAS (looked at tags with mp3tag and my WMA files on my NAS all show the appropriate band name under the artist column). So my slim server says i have 1039 albums but only 57 artists. THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY. I cannot search my collection by album artist. I can see all albums and play them by browsing under folder view... Any ideas? I am running slim server 6.5.2 on a windows XP media center machine.

kdf
2007-05-23, 20:13
This is an issue we're working on right now as a focus for 6.5.3
(hopefully as a much shorter release cycle than 6.5.2)

the nightly builds are already available here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

so far, reports are positive. If this doesn't fix the issue, please
let us know and we'll gather more details to help get it fixed asap.

-kdf

philvis
2007-05-24, 07:45
Well, I took the build from last night and installed. I am in the process of rescanning my library and more artists are appearing!!! I will let you know later today if this has completely resolved the issue.

Thanks.

sparks451
2007-05-24, 17:48
Hello,

I have had this exact same issue. I have done some troubleshooting and have concluded that it is a Scanner issue with 6.5.2. Here is what I have done...

Scanning with 6.5.1 showed my stats correctly: "Your music library contains 703 albums with 8125 songs by 337 artists."

After upgrading to 6.5.2, these statistics stayed the same.
However, after rescanning my library with 6.5.2, it now shows only 31 artists: "Your music library contains 703 albums with 8125 songs by 31 artists."

While in this state, this is what I see:
Browse by Album: <Doesn't work>
Browse by Artist: 31 artists. (I only see 1 album for each artist although I have several for each)
Browse by Genres: I see all artists but the folders contain no albums. (Except for the albums that also appear in Artists)
Browse by Year: Shows all albums from the year chosen. (It also indicates the correct number of artists in the stats.)
Random Mix: Random Songs works, Random Artists works and chooses artists that don't appear in browse.

I hope this is helpful to the developers. But it sounds like they can repeat the problem.

I will give the 6.5.3 nightly a try to see what happens and I will let you know.

Glad I am not the only one seeing this problem. :o)

Thanks

Sparks

sparks451
2007-05-25, 16:12
Yep... Upgrading to 6.5.3 seems to have cleared up my lost artist problems.

Thank you to whomever fixed it in 6.5.3.

"I'm feeling much better now."

Sparks

slimkid
2007-05-25, 18:18
Yep... Upgrading to 6.5.3 seems to have cleared up my lost artist problems.

Thank you to whomever fixed it in 6.5.3.

"I'm feeling much better now."

Sparks

This thread should be acrhived and used as an example for the discussion of the benefits of the different software development models: open source vs. in-house closed vs. accountable professionals who realy know what they are doing.

dnewman
2007-05-26, 21:32
6.5.3 build of 26 May 2007 on Mac OS X has resolved my issues with
"Album Artist" vs. "Artist" tags, but not as regards "Track Artist"
tags. When going to the "Artist" display and clicking on an artist's
name, I only see tracks which use that artist's name in the "Artist"
or "Album Artist" tags. I do not see tracks which used the artist's
name in a "Track Artist" tag.

If I search on the artist's name using the basic search, I do
then get a listing which includes tracks where the name appeared
only in a "Track Artist" tag.

Dan