PDA

View Full Version : Won`t "transcode" flac to wav

nordvest
2007-05-23, 05:06
Hello,
My first post here...
I thought I should try to stream flac files as wav files (eg. do the unpacking of the flac files at the server side).

I read quite a few posts about this here, and I did as they suggested: I unticked the flac -flac option on the file formats settings in the slimserver (version 6.5.1) and ticked the flac-wav option instead. The problem is that there is no sound (and the time indicator on the SB doesn`t move.)

What can be the problem? I have not limited the streaming bandwith or anything so I`m a little confused.

I tried ripping a file directly to wav and that one played without any problem so it must be the flac- wav recoding in slimserver that doesn`t work.

PS: English is not my mother tongue but I hope you can understand me.
And I also know that there probably isn`t much point in this transcoding/recoding issue as the sound should be identical but I just wanted to check for myself.

mherger
2007-05-23, 10:04
> I thought I should try to stream flac files as wav files (eg. do the
> unpacking of the flac files at the server side).

For what reason?

> What can be the problem? I have not limited the streaming bandwith or
> anything so I`m a little confused.

What operating system are you on? Do you have flac installed?

Michael

nordvest
2007-05-23, 10:19
Just to compare since some people has said that wav sounds a little better. I don`t think so myself but it`s no harm in trying....

I use XP and have Flac installed.
BUT: I solved the problem; I Installed 6.5.2 and then it worked!!
I`ll try some semi-blindtests when my wife comes home and can assist.

mherger
2007-05-23, 10:20
> Just to compare since some people has said that wav sounds a little
> better. I don`t think so myself but it`s no harm in trying....

Save yourself the hassle: the output data is identical. You can't
"restore" lost data. Therefore transcoding flac to wav wouldn't change
even if wav was better.

> I`ll try some semi-blindtests when my wife comes home and can assist.

Have fun :-)

Michael

Malor
2007-05-23, 12:19
You're not likely to hear any real difference unless there's a problem with the FLAC decoder in the Squeezebox firmware. Generally, the firmware tends to be pretty good, so you probably won't find one. But if you do hear a noticeable difference (that is, you or your wife can reliably pick out flac-decoded-on-server versus flac-decoded-on-squeezebox), then you should definitely report a bug.

Flac is lossless compression, so if the firmware is working properly, you should get a bit-for-bit identical result either way, and sending it as wav takes more bandwidth and more CPU time on the server. The Squeezebox is highly optimized for that function -- best to do the decoding there.

nordvest
2007-05-23, 14:36
I have just checked...
My wife switched between songs etc. and i tried to figure out what is what. Minimal difference or shall I say I thought I could spot the difference and that wav was better but the resukt was something like 65/ 35% for wav beeing best versus flac being best which isn`t statistically signifcant with such a low number of samples...

But an other thing: I used a Radioshack db-meter to measure the sound pressure at a given setting on my amp and the squeezebox was constantly 2-3 dB lower than the cd-player amd also mye dvd-player (cd and dvd was equal in this respect). Why isn`t Squeezebox calibrated to be as high sounding as other equipment?