PDA

View Full Version : Squeeze network connection died

lyteroptes
2007-05-21, 13:23
It's been a while since I last connected to Squeezenetwork or internet radio. In fact I don't think I've connected since I changed ISP and from cable to ADSL (OK, that was a mistake). Anyway I can no longer connect but I've never had a problem before. However I am getting the RSS newsfeeds.

Do I need to tweak the ports on the router?

Thanks

Ross L
2007-05-21, 17:45
What happens when you try to connect your player to Squeeze Network, do you get an error message? Could you describe your network?

lyteroptes
2007-05-22, 00:18
I just see 'Connecting to Squeezenetwork' or 'Checking stream' if I go via Internet Radio and then the screen goes blank.

The SB3 is connected wirelessly to the router/modem and works well to the SlimServer. As I said I probably haven't used internet connectivity (other than RSS) since I changed from cable to ADSL and changed router at the same time. In fact the router is still a Netgear and I don't think I did a thing to the previous one for SB3 access.

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-22, 06:22
Check gateway and DNS server settings on the SB.

Ross L
2007-05-22, 11:31
Could you describe your network please? Is the Squeezebox connecting to a router or directly to a SlimServer computer?

lyteroptes
2007-05-23, 12:40
The network is as @ #3 - straight to the wireless router.

I've checked the gateway & DNS IP addresses in the SB3 - they are correct. I'm getting RSS feeds so the connectivity must be there for that musn't it?

Ross L
2007-05-23, 13:53
I'd suggest rebooting your router and Squeezebox. It sure sounds to me like the Squeezebox just doesn't have the right DNS info.

lyteroptes
2007-05-23, 14:56
I'd suggest rebooting your router and Squeezebox. It sure sounds to me like the Squeezebox just doesn't have the right DNS info.

I've already tried that ...several times for this reason and others. If it was DNS how would it find the RSS sites?

Is there any debug or tracing I can employ?

Ross L
2007-05-23, 15:39
I know little about RSS, sorry. I really think this must be a networking issue. What is the make/model number/firmware version of your wireless router? Do you use DHCP? If so, what is the IP address of the player?

Also have you compared the MAC address of the player with the sticker on the bottom? Holding the left arrow and scrolling down to current settings will show you the MAC address of the player.

lyteroptes
2007-05-24, 05:21
I know little about RSS, sorry. I really think this must be a networking issue. What is the make/model number/firmware version of your wireless router? Do you use DHCP? If so, what is the IP address of the player?

Also have you compared the MAC address of the player with the sticker on the bottom? Holding the left arrow and scrolling down to current settings will show you the MAC address of the player.

Well I don't know a lot about RSS myself, to be honest, but I do know it's information that comes down from sources on the internet so I was hoping this would prove the SB3 has internet connectivity if only on the HTTP port.

It hadn't occurred to me to check the MAC address but I will do so. Is the SB3 in the habit of changing this value?

The firmware is set to auto-update but I'll get the version number when I get back. The IP address is allocated by DHCP and is currently 192.168.0.200 (unless we've had a long power outage back at home) - why?

lyteroptes
2007-05-24, 09:02
Firmware is 72

Here's an interesting thing though. When I try to connect to Live365 it allows me to browse the genres which it downloads successfully. When I try to play it tries to connect then I see a timeout message along with a URL.

Ross L
2007-05-24, 11:10
What version of SlimServer are you using? Also could you please let me know the make / model number / firmware version of your wireless router?

Try playing something from Slim Devices picks, does that work?