PDA

View Full Version : Time to see how SlimD's customer sevice is...



sts9fan
2007-05-21, 10:42
So I have figured out(kinda) that my SB3 has a hardware issue. the guy from tech support agrees also. For some reason it cannot obtain an IP address. My SB2 is now working perfectly wireless so I know it is the SB3. I have had it for <1.5 years which is out of the warranty range. They say they will fix it for $90 which is not really good enough for me. This thing should not fail this easy. Any charges more then shipping and they have lost a customer and a HUGE advocate for these things. I have told pretty much everyone who will listen about them and to buy the SB over other media servers. We will see.

JJZolx
2007-05-21, 11:24
So I have figured out(kinda) that my SB3 has a hardware issue. the guy from tech support agrees also. For some reason it cannot obtain an IP address. My SB2 is now working perfectly wireless so I know it is the SB3. I have had it for <1.5 years which is out of the warranty range. They say they will fix it for $90 which is not really good enough for me. This thing should not fail this easy. Any charges more then shipping and they have lost a customer and a HUGE advocate for these things. I have told pretty much everyone who will listen about them and to buy the SB over other media servers. We will see.

Get over it. It's out of warranty. Electronics have a certain failure rate. If you had two SB3s, one might live for 30 years.

If it's the wireless module, see if they'll sell you one and pop it in yourself, or else find out the model and buy one on the open market. You'd be taking a chance, but might save $50 or so.

Mitch Harding
2007-05-21, 11:27
He could have been more diplomatic, but I agree with his response. Very few
companies will fix products for free once they are out of warranty. What
would be the point of a warranty, otherwise?

On 5/21/07, sts9fan <sts9fan.2qy4fz1179772201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I shall get over it. Over to another product.
>
> I am sure you do not work in customer service.
>
>
> --
> sts9fan
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> sts9fan's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3287
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35473
>
>

sts9fan
2007-05-21, 11:27
I shall get over it. Over to another product.

I am sure you do not work in customer service.

snarlydwarf
2007-05-21, 11:29
99.99238% of the people who post here don't work for Slim or Logitech at all.

chrisla
2007-05-21, 11:29
Please post the warranty section of the other product that is greater than
one year...

If another product better meets your needs otherwise go for it, but really 1
year of support is typical anything after that is gravy. Sad as it sounds
that's the way it is. I've had $5k+ hifi gear, the policies are the same.

-Chris

On 5/21/07, sts9fan <sts9fan.2qy4fz1179772201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I shall get over it. Over to another product.
>
> I am sure you do not work in customer service.
>
>
> --
> sts9fan
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> sts9fan's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3287
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=35473
>
>

Ben Sandee
2007-05-21, 11:30
On 5/21/07, Mitch Harding <mitcharf (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> He could have been more diplomatic, but I agree with his response. Very
> few companies will fix products for free once they are out of warranty.
> What would be the point of a warranty, otherwise


To weed out 99% who are willing to accept it? Unfortunately it seems that
if you complain enough you seem to get your way in this world.

Ben

haunyack
2007-05-21, 11:37
There is one thing I've noticed about Slim Devices (A Logitech Company) -
Although they care passionately about the products and services they provide and in turn bend over backwards to ensure added value with top-notch support - they don't respond readily to "taking my business elsewhere" statements.

.

Kevin O. Lepard
2007-05-21, 12:24
>they don't respond readily to "taking my business somewhere else" statements.

Nor should they. I know that people say "the customer is always
right" but I disagree. The customer is not always right and not all
potential customers are desirable ones.

That said, the product is out of warranty. They offered to fix it
and said what it would cost. That seems fair to me.

Kevin
--
Kevin O. Lepard

Happiness is being 100% Microsoft free.

tomjtx
2007-05-21, 12:43
sts9fan also posted this complaint on the audiocircle forum.

Seems like he is an equal opportunity whiner :-)

adamslim
2007-05-21, 12:53
Well I'm kinda with the OP in that it's always a pain where stuff breaks down shortly after the warranty period; if I have to pay a third of the new price for a repair I get irritated, to say the least.

However, the SB3 is a cheap, consumer product - they go wrong. If I pay Transporter prices, I expect truly decent service (and I strongly prefer to go with companies that offer a warranty of more than a year).

So I'd be annoyed in his place, but then I'd realise that it's only a 200 device, most of my computer stuff goes wrong at least as quick as this, calm down and see if I could get a network card myself. Perfect opportunity to open up the toy and have a play :)

Adam

konut
2007-05-21, 16:26
If you had payed with a MasterCard, you would have doubled the standard warranty.

earthbased
2007-05-21, 18:00
So I have figured out(kinda) that my SB3 has a hardware issue. the guy from tech support agrees also. For some reason it cannot obtain an IP address. My SB2 is now working perfectly wireless so I know it is the SB3. I have had it for <1.5 years which is out of the warranty range. They say they will fix it for $90 which is not really good enough for me. This thing should not fail this easy. Any charges more then shipping and they have lost a customer and a HUGE advocate for these things. I have told pretty much everyone who will listen about them and to buy the SB over other media servers. We will see.

You should be able to send it is for diagnosis. Electronic equipment such as SB can easily be dropped so the 1 Year warranty is valid for electronics as the drop may cause the device fail finally. Other products like Koni Shocks have life time guarantees because if you trash them you most likely trashed your car.

EB

cliveb
2007-05-22, 00:31
If it's the wireless module, see if they'll sell you one and pop it in yourself, or else find out the model and buy one on the open market. You'd be taking a chance, but might save $50 or so.
Good point. But before you go to the expense of buying a replacement wireless module, try hooking it up wired to see if that works. If it doesn't, then I'd guess the chances are that replacing the wireless module isn't going to fix it.

jimbres
2007-05-22, 01:53
If the wireless module is the culprit, consider buying something like the D-Link DWL-G820 wireless gaming adapter to connect your SB3 to your network via your ethernet port. This is what I do - not because my SB3 won't connect wirelessly but because the D-Link provides a more robust connection with absolutely no dropouts.

Newegg is selling an open box D-Link for $53 (plus $6 shipping). A new one will cost an extra $5.

chiphart
2007-05-22, 11:10
sts9fan wrote:
> So I have figured out(kinda) that my SB3 has a hardware issue. the guy
> from tech support agrees also. For some reason it cannot obtain an IP
> address. My SB2 is now working perfectly wireless so I know it is the
> SB3. I have had it for <1.5 years which is out of the warranty range.

As posted elsewhere, if you purchased this with a credit card,
your replacement/fix should be covered by most credit cards.
Check first, obviously.

Meanwhile, I am not at all aware of any commercial electronic
product that comes with >1y warranty. I know it sucks - the
same thing happened to me - but what are you going to do when
your next unit breaks? Keep switching vendors?

--
Chip Hart - Pediatric Solutions * Physician's Computer Company
chip @ pcc.com * 1 Main St. #7, Winooski, VT 05404
800-722-7708 * http://chipsblog.pcc.com
f.802-846-8178 * Pediatric Software Just Got Smarter.
Your Practice Just Got Healthier.

Sike
2007-05-22, 11:51
But seriously ... what other vendor?

;)

scatbass
2007-11-04, 19:02
Let's be completely honest though...if companies made products that they truly believed they could stand behind, they would offer lifetime unconditional warranties. Most companies these days are mediocre and care little about product quality and customer satisfaction, aside from the bare minimum required to acquire and maintain a customer base.

earthbased
2007-11-04, 19:07
Let's be completely honest though...if companies made products that they truly believed they could stand behind, they would offer lifetime unconditional warranties. Most companies these days are mediocre and care little about product quality and customer satisfaction, aside from the bare minimum required to acquire and maintain a customer base.

Everything eventually decays. Plus who knows how the equipment is situated, maybe by a heat source. Good companies will replace the equipment out of warranty if they think they are not being screwed. Get in the real world.

pfarrell
2007-11-04, 19:12
scatbass wrote:
> Let's be completely honest though...if companies made products that they
> truly believed they could stand behind, they would offer lifetime
> unconditional warranties.

Can you name a single consumer electronics vendor with such a policy?


Do not feed the trolls

earthbased
2007-11-04, 19:27
scatbass wrote:
> Let's be completely honest though...if companies made products that they
> truly believed they could stand behind, they would offer lifetime
> unconditional warranties.

Can you name a single consumer electronics vendor with such a policy?


Do not feed the trolls

Not agreeing with poster, but AR replaced the woofers on my speakers 7 years after the warranty expired.

danco
2007-11-04, 23:21
Maybe it's a Europe/US difference, but two-year warranties are common over here now. In fact I think it may be European law.

Just noticed that the thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=37351 indicates that for some people the warranty in the USA has been extended to two years. I don't know if it depends on date of purchase.

Regardless, out-of-warranty failures will always occur from time to time.

ceejay
2007-11-05, 02:01
Maybe it's a Europe/US difference, but two-year warranties are common over here now. In fact I think it may be European law.



I'm quite sure there isn't a European law that says that warranties have to be two years. However there is consumer law that says that any product has to be "fit for purpose", which means that it can be expected to last for a "reasonable" time before it fails. Any attempt to unfairly limit that reasonable time by declaring a shorter "warranty" period will be invalid.

There have been some instances of people successfully claiming that they could reasonably have expected the item to have lasted for longer before failing, and that the item therefore had to be repaired or replaced regardless of the warranty status.

This of course only applies if the product was purchased in a jurisdiction where such case law applies: if you bought it in the US you have no chance, if you bought it in the UK then its possible.

However in these cases your claim is against the people that sold it to you, not the manufacturer, so be prepared to have a very big argument with them. Whether its worth it for a relatively cheap product only you can say....

Ceejay

mherger
2007-11-05, 02:11
> I'm quite sure there isn't a European law that says that warranties
> have to be two years.

While I'm Swiss I would have said there is. At least in the German magazines I've been reading about it. And we're assimilating slowly in Switzerland :-).

Michael

Fifer
2007-11-05, 04:40
There is no Europe wide requirement for a two year warranty. The Consumer Goods and Guarantees Directive mandates a two year period from delivery within which consumers can claim against any non-conformity, which is not quite the same thing (and UK law already sets that limit at six years).

alstein
2007-11-05, 14:09
So I have figured out(kinda) that my SB3 has a hardware issue. the guy from tech support agrees also. For some reason it cannot obtain an IP address. My SB2 is now working perfectly wireless so I know it is the SB3. I have had it for <1.5 years which is out of the warranty range. They say they will fix it for $90 which is not really good enough for me. This thing should not fail this easy. Any charges more then shipping and they have lost a customer and a HUGE advocate for these things. I have told pretty much everyone who will listen about them and to buy the SB over other media servers. We will see.

Hi

I notice that Logitech now warrants the SB3 for 2 years. I would suggest escalating to a service supervisor. maybe they'll make an exception and "grandfather" your SB3.

mparry
2007-11-05, 14:36
All sb3s now have a two year warranty. So long as you have a normal covered by warranty repair there should be no charge.

Devans
2007-11-05, 15:50
So I have figured out(kinda) that my SB3 has a hardware issue. the guy from tech support agrees also. For some reason it cannot obtain an IP address. My SB2 is now working perfectly wireless so I know it is the SB3. I have had it for <1.5 years which is out of the warranty range. They say they will fix it for $90 which is not really good enough for me. This thing should not fail this easy. Any charges more then shipping and they have lost a customer and a HUGE advocate for these things. I have told pretty much everyone who will listen about them and to buy the SB over other media servers. We will see.

sts9fan,

The warranty on a Squeezebox 3 is 2 years. I'm not sure who you spoke to in Support, but I checked and there is no ticket created for this incident. (unless you gave a different e-mail address)

Provided the failure was not from a drop on the floor, or a lightning strike during a picnic, we should be able fix your player under warranty. It's all in the details, of course.

Please contact Support again either via phone or e-mail and we'll help you sort this out. Also feel free to contact me directly.

lanierb
2007-11-05, 16:17
sts9fan,

The warranty on a Squeezebox 3 is 2 years. I'm not sure who you spoke to in Support, but I checked and there is no ticket created for this incident. (unless you gave a different e-mail address)

Provided the failure was not from a drop on the floor, or a lightning strike during a picnic, we should be able fix your player under warranty. It's all in the details, of course.

Please contact Support again either via phone or e-mail and we'll help you sort this out. Also feel free to contact me directly.

Well there you have it. Despite the fact that the customer acted like an idiot by whining in a public forum before even trying to get his SB3 fixed, Slim Devices is still willing to politely help him. Seems like pretty good service to me.

Bizarroterl
2007-11-05, 17:15
If my 1951 Willys wagon ever breaks I expect they will fix it at no cost to me. If they don't I'll buy my next wagon from someone else! ;-)

MrSinatra
2007-11-06, 03:43
hmmm...

on the one hand, its just another electronic consumer device, what do you expect? on the other hand, its only for technically competent people who are burr brown audiophiles...

on the one hand, NO company gives more than one year warranty, on the other hand, as it turns out, slim gives two.

why is it ANY criticism gets all the fanboys out is such a chorus?

if the same thing happened to any of you, i'm sure you'd be none to pleased. so the guy complained, BIG DEAL. sounds to me like he has a legit complaint.

if i spent 300 or whatever on a TV or LCD monitor or whatever, u better bet i'd raise hell if it died without cause, and I SHOULD.

now, i agree, the customer is not always right and can be at fault, and perhaps that happens too often. but why attack someone for just saying they have a problem?

personally, i haven't had any hardware issues. but i suspect logitech isn't happy with just a niche market only, and if they can't appeal to me, a techie type music fanatic, then they will have issues eventually.

my point is that i have definitely considered alternatives, like the apple express and even the logitech dj. i haven't switched b/c i've found the slim solution to be an interesting challenge that has taught me a lot, BUT if i were to have hardware failures within 5 years of my purchase, that would mean that i'd switch to an easier, and cheaper, product.

don't flame me either, its just an honest opinion.

MrSinatra
2007-11-06, 03:49
btw, koss headphones have a lifetime guarantee.

snarlydwarf
2007-11-06, 09:48
why is it ANY criticism gets all the fanboys out is such a chorus?


No, the real question is: why on earth is this thread revived after 6 months? Geesh, so much interesting stuff in the world, who cares about hardware that failed and may or may not have been repaired six months ago?

scatbass
2007-11-09, 07:40
scatbass wrote:
> Let's be completely honest though...if companies made products that they
> truly believed they could stand behind, they would offer lifetime
> unconditional warranties.

Can you name a single consumer electronics vendor with such a policy?


Do not feed the trolls

I'm hardly a troll...and I'm not stating that there are companies out there that do support such a policy. I'm simply stating that, as a society, I personally believe we would be better off if we DID support such things. But we don't because we, as a society, are content with cheap disposable Chinese crap ad nauseum.

Answer this...why do I have appliances that were built in the 60s that still run like a top, but any appliance I buy today can be expected to break down within 5 years?

I digress. Back on topic, I'm pleased that SD did extend the warranty to 2 years. I just called them 2 days ago, and they are covering my broken-down SB 100%. Kudos to them.

Just had a similar experience with Canon. I have digital camera that is 4 years old...WELL outside the warranty period. Long story short, the CCD died...it's a known common issue with this camera...and they are repairing 100% free of charge, including shipping. And THAT my friend is an example of a company willing to stand behind their product.

Eric Seaberg
2007-11-09, 15:45
Since this thread is still semi-active, I wanted to give kudos to the support staff at Logitech/Slim. I have a Black SB3 that is BARELY one-year old. I purchased a Welborne Labs power supply kit and built it (separate thread elsewhere) that FRIED the SB3 due to some shorted components to the case of the PS. SD gave me an RMA, looked at it and repaired the 'simple' fix.

They COULD HAVE told me to blow off since it wasn't their fault, but they didn't! I've been dealing with lost/stolen luggage with the airlines for the last two-weeks and TOTALLY appreciate a company that understands what happened and, due to the minimal financial impact to them, fixes it anyway knowing they didn't have to.

Logitech/Slim has my whole hearted support in the future. They did right by me and I'll do the same for them anytime!!

Thank you Enrico Principi, Slim Devices Returns.