PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Customer Support

Chippy
2007-05-21, 10:28
Dealing with Logitech customer support (for a MX Revolution mouse) has been an complete nightmare over the past two weeks. My second mouse is now on it's way back to Amazon, and I'll be hunting for a decent wireless mouse that actually works with a Mac.

The support experience has been like night and day when compared to the amazing help I have received on these forums in the past from kdf and the gang.

Tell me that my beloved Squeezebox will never suffer the same customer support fate! Long live the community!

Chippy

snarlydwarf
2007-05-21, 11:50
Well, the SB is gonna attract a much more devoted user following than something as boring as a mouse. There are so many fine details and tweaks you can do with Slimserver and the whole audio chain and mice are pretty much "it works" or "it doesn't work" devices.

Add in the GPL of Slimserver code and the encouragement to tweak things and the community gets even more devoted.

ChrisOwens
2007-05-23, 17:45
Kevin our support manager might pipe up, but in the meantime I'll just say it's something we're carefully planning for. In addition, there are some changes going on within the Logitech support

Right now our support team is too small to support the kind of sales volumes we're projecting. The plan is to phase in some trained Logitech support people who will handle the very simplest calls, but for any issue that actually seems like technical support, to have them pass the call on to our team.

As with anything new, we're happy to hear if it's not working out so we can make the necessary changes. There are a lot of times here where we feel like we need to remind people that our products are not mice, and have special needs. Tech support is an area where we are trying to be very careful how we expand.

JJZolx
2007-05-23, 18:13
The support experience has been like night and day when compared to the amazing help I have received on these forums in the past from kdf and the gang.

I've dealt with a lot of consumer electronics companies where the official support was absolutely horrid and much better support could be found either in official or (usually better) unofficial forums and mailing lists. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that this is expected in this market. The only reason I'd ever consider calling many of these companies is a hardware failure with a product under warranty. The experience is just too frustrating and too much of a waste of time otherwise.

jonheal
2007-05-24, 02:41
Dealing with Logitech customer support (for a MX Revolution mouse) has been an complete nightmare over the past two weeks. My second mouse is now on it's way back to Amazon, and I'll be hunting for a decent wireless mouse that actually works with a Mac.

Tell me that my beloved Squeezebox will never suffer the same customer support fate! Long live the community!

Chippy

The Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer works fine on a Mac -- with or without the MS drivers.

oreillymj
2007-05-24, 03:59
You actually got through to a human being at Logitech ;-)

I love my MX610 but discovered that it caused my IBM T42 to freeze requiring a reboot.

Luckily when I plug the USB receiver into a PS2 port via a dngle it works fine, but I got no replies to my mail sent from the support page.

Anyhow... If the local Slim guys remain contactable and these forums don't go away, I'm sure support will remain excellent.

James_B
2007-05-24, 16:24
Im slightly hesitant to admit this but before buying my SBs I had a Sony NAS system running the abysmal M-Crew server software. Despite having a new Vaio the whole thing would not run smoothly and so I contacted Sony customer support. However Sony themselves did not know where this product fitted in their portfolio - it needed a PC but did not fall under the Vaio department, it was a music player but did not fall under home entertainment.

Instead i was passed on to "convergence" - and what appeared to be one tech guy in Europe. It took three weeks to get an acknowlegement of my complaint and three months for a response to the initial survey they sent me and the response was another survey.. needless to say by this point I had long since given up.

I have since found the SD community support phenomenal (as well as the product) and sincerely hope that this is something Logitech cherishes and sustains going forward. There are obviously huge synergistic benefits with the takeover and lets hope they are realised so product development continues - but customer focus must be retained.

MrD
2007-05-25, 08:47
Kevin our support manager might pipe up, but in the meantime I'll just say it's something we're carefully planning for. In addition, there are some changes going on within the Logitech support

Right now our support team is too small to support the kind of sales volumes we're projecting. The plan is to phase in some trained Logitech support people who will handle the very simplest calls, but for any issue that actually seems like technical support, to have them pass the call on to our team.

As with anything new, we're happy to hear if it's not working out so we can make the necessary changes. There are a lot of times here where we feel like we need to remind people that our products are not mice, and have special needs. Tech support is an area where we are trying to be very careful how we expand.

Sound like a plan to sell the SqueezeBox or some variant at the local Best Buy ;) Maybe a subscription based network music service obviating the need (for joe sixpack) for slimserver too... hmmm.

JimC
2007-05-25, 11:57
I have since found the SD community support phenomenal (as well as the product) and sincerely hope that this is something Logitech cherishes and sustains going forward. There are obviously huge synergistic benefits with the takeover and lets hope they are realised so product development continues - but customer focus must be retained.

It's my job to make sure that the user experience gets *better* over time as we develop new hardware and software products. This community and our technical support team are an integral part of that, and I do not plan to change them at all (unless I can make it better).

JJZolx
2007-05-25, 12:14
It's my job to make sure that the user experience gets *better* over time as we develop new hardware and software products. This community and our technical support team are an integral part of that, and I do not plan to change them at all (unless I can make it better).

So Jim, it sounds like you're pretty much running Slim Devices, or the streaming media division, or whatever it's being called now?

You gotta love seeing marketing take charge of a formerly technology driven company.

JimC
2007-05-25, 12:22
So Jim, it sounds like you're pretty much running Slim Devices, or the streaming media division, or whatever it's being called now?

Hardly. I just work here.

You gotta love seeing marketing take charge of a formerly technology driven company.

Marketing isn't "taking charge" of a formerly technology driven company. I am, however, responsible for the customer facing activities here, which includes tech support, the website, and the forums.

Dean, Sean, and the rest of the "technology driven" people here are still hard at work on what they do best.

I might have even taken offense at your comment (especially since you have no idea what I do, or don't, know about technology), except that I've come to recognize your posts from their particular brand of vitriol.

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-25, 16:14

Jeez, give the guy a break.

No wonder large companies don't participate in their own forums if they get abused like this.

JimC hasn't even had a chance to prove or disprove if he's evil yet. ;-) (JimC: I'm kidding!)

Skunk
2007-05-25, 18:26
I am, however, responsible for the customer facing activities here, which includes tech support, the website, and the forums.

Chris said Kevin was in charge of tech support. I can tell things are going to hell in a handbasket already!

JimC
2007-05-28, 19:29
Chris said Kevin was in charge of tech support. I can tell things are going to hell in a handbasket already!

Kevin is the Tech Support Manager. Does a pretty damn good job, too. I'm just responsible for making sure he has the budget, people, and air cover to do his job well.

I have yet to order any handbaskets for the group, so things must be going to hell in some other form of transport... or maybe not at all.