PDA

View Full Version : Play all computer audio

danne_n
2007-05-20, 14:28
Hello fellow squeezebox owners!

I wonder if there is a possibility to stream all audio output from my computer to squeezebox?

For example, I'm watching a dvd or an embedded QT or whatever on my computer screen and still want the sound to go to my squeezebox -> active speakers.

Maybe this calls for support on operative system level? Or is there a "what you hear ---> audio-stream software" somewhere?

Otherwise a smart little device!

/Daniel

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-20, 14:57
No, this is not possible.

Even if it were, A/V synch would be very difficult since there are two different programs doing the work - they'd never be processing the same bit at the same time.

bukharin
2007-05-21, 05:17
Some people have set up their PCs to act as shoutcast servers using "what you hear" as the source; they can then tune in slimserver to the shoutcast stream.

I've never tried it, but there's no reason it shouldn't work. Of course, the quality will be lower and the devices won't be in perfect sync.

bpa
2007-05-21, 05:24
I have tested this with Windows Media Encoder - while it works the delay was about 6 secs. which makes any sort of control very difficult.

I tested playing DVDs using mplayer which allows you to change the video and sound timings (e.g. advance /retard sound against vision) and even though I got close and sound/video were slightly out of sync - it was unwatchable.