PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Irked

jonheal
2007-05-20, 08:31
I'm pretty irked because this is at least the third time this has happened since I purchased my SB3 about 18 months ago.

My SB3 has disappeared from the network.

- I use a wired connection.
- I use a static IP address.
- I tried the factory and xilinx resets.
- When I plug an ethernet cable into the SB3, the corresponding light on the switch does not illumitate. (Yes, I've tried several ports ... devices connected to the same ports work fine.)
- I tried unistalling SlimServer and reinstalling an earlier version. (This worked when this happened before ... corrupted firmware.)

For a time, before I did the factory reset, I could still see SqueezeNetwork. Now the damn thing can't see any network.

I'm at a loss. I've tried setting it's network connections about 30 times.

Right now, I would have to say NO, this is not a mass market device.

Waaaa! I want my music back! Waaaaaaaa!

Pale Blue Ego
2007-05-20, 10:48
My first thought is you've got a flaky ethernet cable. Did you try a different cable?

2nd thought is the ethernet interface on the SB3. Is that a plug-in card that might be loose, or is it hard-soldered to the board?

You could also try a dynamic IP instead of static, but that's a longshot.

jonheal
2007-05-20, 10:53
My first thought is you've got a flaky ethernet cable. Did you try a different cable?

2nd thought is the ethernet interface on the SB3. Is that a plug-in card that might be loose, or is it hard-soldered to the board?

You could also try a dynamic IP instead of static, but that's a longshot.

Unfotunately, yes, I've tried differnet wires. I don't think there is anything wrong with the ethernet interface inside the Squeezebox because I was able to get to SqueezeNetwork before I did the factory reset thing. I think my firmware is hosed, and I don't know how to get it back to a state that it can at least be reloaded.

jonheal
2007-05-20, 11:00
Well, I think this may have happened last time this problem occured ... can't remember for sure ...

Anyway, after leaving the SB3 unplugged from the network for a looooooong time (several hours), suddenly, when I plug it back in, it wants its firmware upgraded.

Ugh, I guess I'm on the road to recovery.

The SB is a true gadget.