PDA

View Full Version : How to you like to search for music in your library ?

erland
2007-05-19, 22:33
I'm thinking of making a Custom Search plugin that make is possible to search for music in your SlimServer library in various ways. But I would like some input to understand better what is needed. My main interest in this is making it possible to do searching on the custom tags scanned with the Custom Scan plugin, maybe also make it possible to limit a search to a specific library defined in the Multi Library plugin.

- How do you perform searches with the remote control today ?
-- Do you at all perform searches with the remote control ?
-- Do you use the Lazy Search plugin or standard SlimServer search functionallity ?
-- What type of information do you mostly search for with the remote control ? albums ?, artists ? tracks ?
-- Is anything missing when searching for music with the remote control ?

- How do you peform searches with the web interface today ?
-- Do you at all perform searches with the web interface ?
-- What type of information do you mostly search for with the web interface ? albums ?, artists ? tracks ?
-- Is anything missing when searching for music with the web interface ?

Is there anything else that is important regarding searching ?

JJZolx
2007-05-19, 23:18
- How do you perform searches with the remote control today ?
-- Do you at all perform searches with the remote control ?
-- Do you use the Lazy Search plugin or standard SlimServer search functionallity ?
-- What type of information do you mostly search for with the remote control ? albums ?, artists ? tracks ?
-- Is anything missing when searching for music with the remote control ?
Never search with the remote. I seldom use the remote at all, except maybe to change screen brightness.

- How do you peform searches with the web interface today ?
-- Do you at all perform searches with the web interface ?
-- What type of information do you mostly search for with the web interface ? albums ?, artists ? tracks ?
-- Is anything missing when searching for music with the web interface ?
99% of the time I use the basic search in the web interface. It's by far the quickest way to get to something for which you know the name. Browsing just doesn't make any sense if you know the artist or album you want. As far as more complex searches are concerned, I have little need for finding tracks recorded live in 1978 by left handed gypsies with false teeth.

matthijskoopmans
2007-05-19, 23:26
I use Lazy Search to find my music. If you are going to make a custom search, I hope it would complement the Lazy Search. Extra elements I would like to see is similar artists in my library (lastFM?) or a similar "mood" (musicmagicip).

regards,

Matt

peter
2007-05-20, 01:21
erland wrote:
> I'm thinking of making a Custom Search plugin that make is possible to
> search for music in your SlimServer library in various ways. But I
> would like some input to understand better what is needed. My main
> interest in this is making it possible to do searching on the custom
> tags scanned with the Custom Scan plugin, maybe also make it possible
> to limit a search to a specific library defined in the Multi Library
> plugin.
>
> - How do you perform searches with the remote control today ?
>

I look for a song or artist. Usually when we're at the kitchen table or
in the living area and the laptop is too far away.

> -- Do you at all perform searches with the remote control ?
>

Yes, about 50% of searches.

> -- Do you use the Lazy Search plugin or standard SlimServer search
> functionallity ?
>
Standard, never tried 'lazy', what's the advantage?

> -- What type of information do you mostly search for with the remote
> control ? albums ?, artists ? tracks ?
>

Artists & tracks, never albums.
> -- Is anything missing when searching for music with the remote control
> ?
>

I guess it could be better, but I have no concrete ideas.

> - How do you peform searches with the web interface today ?
>

Basic search, type artist or track name.

> -- Do you at all perform searches with the web interface ?
>

Yes, about 50%

> -- What type of information do you mostly search for with the web
> interface ? albums ?, artists ? tracks ?
>

Artists, tracks.

> -- Is anything missing when searching for music with the web interface
> ?
>
> Is there anything else that is important regarding searching ?
>

Regards,
Peter

slimkid
2007-05-20, 05:51
Lazy Search by keyword most of time. Since I discovered it, never did basic search. Ways to improve it would be to implement similar spellings and order by date (new music with higher priority.

erland
2007-05-21, 22:46
My impression so far from this discussion is that searching may not be a major problem when using standard SlimServer plus Lazy Search plugin, so it might be better to focus on something else.

If you still feel that the current search mechanisms is a limitation and needs to be improved in some way, please post here and answer the questions in the first post in this thread.

bgw
2007-10-07, 13:10
Hi erland,

Well FWIW, I would love the ability to search within custom tags that were aquired via CustomScan!

The reason is that I add a custom tag to all my flac files that contains recording information.
Currently, thanks to your CustomScan and CustomBrowse plugins, I can view this information right on the SB via the Now Playing right click menu, which is incredible!
I must thank you for this functionality!

So the point is, currently my music selection process starts with the music I want to hear -
ie, I typically browse or search by artist (whether by letter, lazy, numerical keypress or standard) and drill down from there.

To be able to approach browsing my music collection from the other direction, ie, recording criteria, would be awsome.

However I understand that this is one unique thing that may not particularly pique yours or anyone's interest.

-Cheers!
-Thanks again!

jazztime
2009-01-03, 03:19
I found this old thread. YES I would love to be able to search custom tags, as this - as far as I can see - will be the only solution to what I like to bee able to do using native iPeng app on my iTouch:
- browse lead artists (tagged in "ARTIST" field)
- search for musicians (tagged as "PERFORMERS" and scanned by customscan)

I do not want musicians to be part of the artist list, and I do not want to find musicians in a list - simply because the list of musicians will be way to long.

I can find no solution for this without being able to search custom tags. So Erland - I hope you still are considering this!!