PDA

View Full Version : For slim devices... feedback on transporter from happy user

EurJpy
2007-05-18, 10:22
Hi, I just wanted to put my few words of feedback in.

The Transporter is real sweet even if it's a little too expensive to recommend to most people!

I just wanted to say:

(1) The single best thing to improve the Transporter big big big time would be a bigger screen. Of course cover art would be great but even more importantly browsing on such a tiny screen is hard work. I think ditch the knob in the middle and make it a big screen that runs right across. It doesn't need any controls on the device - less in more when you want to be stylish. You could even have more lines going down... when you pay $2,000 a fatter unit makes you feel like you are getting value! I would like to see Artist, Album and Track on the display when I play something. Personally I would prefer this before the Sonos Handset thing and it would be real easy. The screen is what sold me on the Transporter over the Olive.

(2) Having to buy an IR Blaster is a pain. Better in my view to have a remote that can control the volume on your amp and ditch all other the volume control stuff (you know remote that can be set to talk to other equipment). Like someone else says, I don't have a volume control on my CD player.

(3) Sell a nice black 500Gb hard drive with slim server to plug into my router so I can get the whole thing from you. I know these units are available elsewhere but a quality one stop shop is nicer. You want to be real flash? Run the data from it over the power line rather than the wireless so we don't have to worry about range or traffic or interference. Easier setup for the player.

(4) Give us a free 24bit 96KHz DVD of flac classical music in the box to try when we get it.

(5) All the connectors on the back - digital, three prong things etc are more than I see on my CD player. All I need is a power supply and analogue out. Drop the price and ditch em!

Keep up the good work and please give existing Transporter users a cut price upgrade on the next version :-)

discocarp
2007-05-18, 10:44
(2) Having to buy an IR Blaster is a pain. Better in my view to have a remote that can control the volume on your amp and ditch all other the volume control stuff (you know remote that can be set to talk to other equipment). Like someone else says, I don't have a volume control on my CD player.

Without the volume control on the transporter I can't control it from my computer or use it in a straight to amp setup. Both are great features.

(5) All the connectors on the back - digital, three prong things etc are more than I see on my CD player. All I need is a power supply and analogue out. Drop the price and ditch em!

Being able to use the transporter as a dac is what sealed me on buying it. These are major features. Without both #2 and #5 I seriously doubt I would have picked a transporter over an external dac.

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-18, 10:48
Welcome to the forum! Note this is a user forum, not the manufacturer.

(1) The single best thing to improve the Transporter big big big time would be a bigger screen. Of course cover art would be great but even more importantly browsing on such a tiny screen is hard work. I think ditch the knob in the middle and make it a big screen that runs right across. It doesn't need any controls on the device - less in more when you want to be stylish. You could even have more lines going down... when you pay $2,000 a fatter unit makes you feel like you are getting value! Personally I would prefer this before the Sonos Handset thing and it would be real easy. The screen is what sold me on the Transporter over the Olive.

Bit of a problem here...this is about the largest VFD made. Well, they make larger ones but they come with much larger pixels, i.e. the resolution isn't any better and it will look worse across a room due to the big pixels.

Please, please don't suggest an LCD or OLED. They are just not bright enough and do not have the contrast to be read from across a room. Also, how would you read album art from 15' away, even if it could be displayed?

The better solution is to put a colour screen in a handheld remote. There are indications this is coming:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

If your equipment has an IR in port, and many do, then you only need a cable available at any Radio Shack since the Transporter has an IR out port.

I agree with your other points up to...

These are the balanced XLR and AES/EBU connectors, as well as BNC connectors. These are not on your CD player because they are usually not found on consumer equipment. They are generally used in professional studio applications, offering balanced interconnection options which are immune to EMI. I don't use them but I'm glad they're there as they offer a high-end option very rarely found in consumer equipment.

Incidentally you can get CD players with balanced connectors if you look hard enough. They are for studio and broadcast applications:

http://www.bradleybroadcast.com/2001/cdplayers.htm

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Numark-MP102-Single-MP3CD-Player-with-XLR-Balanced-Outs?sku=801340

EurJpy
2007-05-18, 10:50
Discocarp: Well whatever... that's my feedback and you can have yours too. I guess you should write to all the major hifi companies yourself - because they forgot these useful features on their CD players... The new Mark Levinson Reference CD transport for geeks features a really nice volume control and a DAC convertor... Harsh but you see the point...

discocarp
2007-05-18, 10:56
Discocarp: Well whatever... that's my feedback and you can have yours too. I guess you should write to all the major hifi companies yourself - because they forgot these useful features on their CD players... The new Mark Levinson Reference CD transport for geeks features a really nice volume control and a DAC convertor... Harsh but you see the point...

I really don't see your point. Did you not post this on the forum for discussion? If you didn't want discussion why didn't you just use email?

EurJpy
2007-05-18, 11:01
Good point... I will email and you can discuss here... Sorry...

Before I go:

Here is a review from February 2007 Stereophile by the way:

---

Is the Transporter perfect? If you ask me, it's pretty darn close. I'm not sure I could ask for more, but I could see a market for a Transporter that offered less. Remove its DAC and source switching for audiophiles who already have a digital processor they're in love with and you might have a product that offered all things to all comers. But what do I know? I'm the guy who was an early adopter of music networking.

----

Did you ever hear the quote from Dyson in his autobiography about how he made more money selling cleaners that did less. How adding too much stuff actually confused the idea and lowered sales. I wish i could find it on the web..

discocarp
2007-05-18, 11:14
Look, I wasn't trying to piss you off. I'm just trying to say that these features you think are pointless are absolutely essential to some of us. If the transporter was sold as you describe it above, I would have just bought a dac for my squeezebox. Different people have different needs. A lot of us run the transporter straight to the power amp. A lot of us use it as a dac for another piece of equipment. I'm not saying everyone has to use these features, but I am saying that they're important to a lot of us.

I've read that stereophile review, and I don't agree. How can removing features that at least a portion of us find essential make it all things to all comers?

EurJpy
2007-05-18, 11:22
1. price 2. ideas ... as already pointed out. sorry got to run

Pale Blue Ego
2007-05-18, 19:40
There have been several requests for a Transporter with some features removed. The current Transporter has many features and connectors that many users will never use. Still, it's a reasonable price for a very good music player, and if one feature or another was missing, many people would complain that it doesn't have it.

Slim Devices listens carefully to its customers when designing new products. That's one reason the Transporter is so complete - they wanted to build a player that could be enjoyed by a wide range of customers, and they included a lot of features because people actually asked for those features.

I'm thinking that a lower-priced Transporter will eventually be offered, though.

peter
2007-05-19, 02:56
Pale Blue Ego wrote:
> There have been several requests for a Transporter with some features
> removed. The current Transporter has many features and connectors that
> many users will never use. Still, it's a reasonable price for a very
> good music player, and if one feature or another was missing, many
> people would complain that it doesn't have it.
>
> Slim Devices listens carefully to its customers when designing new
> products. That's one reason the Transporter is so complete - they
> wanted to build a player that could be enjoyed by a wide range of
> customers, and they included a lot of features because people actually
> asked for those features.
>
> I'm thinking that a lower-priced Transporter will eventually be
> offered, though.
>

IMHO it's basically a product for fidelity fetishists. For those people,
high prices are a pro. Obviously, the SD guys didn't want to rip them