PDA

View Full Version : Random Song Mix NOT so Random

Club1820
2007-05-17, 14:51
I use the Random Song Mix as my primary way of listening to my music. I've had the squeezebox for about 1 1/2 months now and this Random Song mix doesnt seem to work as well as I thought it would.

I always select more than one Genre to add to the random mix. It then adds the songs to the playlist and proceeds to play. The problem is that its not entirely what I would call Random.

It seems to select anwhere from 2 to 5 songs from a given album and puts them in the playlist in consecutive order. Now it doesnt do this for every album in a genre. But its fairly obvious (and annoying) when you first look at the playlist.

So I thought the easy way to fix this is by hitting the Shuffle button - both via the remote and the web interface. Well, the playlist is indeed shuffled. But if I happen to skip a song, or delete a song, or any kind of command to alter the playlist - it reverts back to the original "unshuffled" Random Song playlist which contains 3 or 4 songs from an album, one after the other.

What Gives?!?!? Has anyone else had this experience? Am I doing something wrong? Its really getting annoying and frustrating. I just want a "real" random mix.

Thanks for your help!

kdf
2007-05-17, 14:55
Assuming you are using the 6.5.1 release, this is a known issue and
already improved in the 6.5.2 nightly builds:
http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

-kdf

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-17, 14:59
Which version of SlimServer? I recall there have been changes that are in 6.5.2 to make it more random.

Club1820
2007-05-17, 15:08
Thanks for the quick replies!

Yes, I believe I have 6.5.1. I will download the update and try that. I will post the results.

thanks again!

Club1820
2007-05-21, 08:56
OK. I downloaded and installed 6.5.2.

Yes, it fixed the random song issue. Great! Thanks for this suggestion.

Couple other things I noticed though. The logitech logo is now on the web interface. Any way to change it back to Slim Devices logo?

Also noticed that the IP address is now 127.0.0.1 not "localhost" as before. Are they one and the same? I'm only asking because I tried to save my preferences file and replaced the one installed by 6.5.2. Well, this caused PC problems and it caused my pc to become unstable and hang. I figured that perhaps I wasnt able to do this because of the Local Host IP address in the previous setting versus the new one.

Well, I just reinstalled 6.5.2 and kept the installed preferences and changed them manually. A pain to do again but my PC is fine again!

Thanks.

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-21, 09:14
Couple other things I noticed though. The logitech logo is now on the web interface. Any way to change it back to Slim Devices logo?

I suppose you could go looking through the HTML folder in the server and locate any Logitech images, replacing them with Slim Devices images?

Also noticed that the IP address is now 127.0.0.1 not "localhost" as before. Are they one and the same?

Yes, 127.0.0.1 and localhost are the same, but only because this is dictated in your PC's HOSTS file. It's in Windows/system32/drivers/etc - it's called HOSTS, no extension, and it's hidden, so you may have to change your folder view options to see it. You should see a line that says "localhost 127.0.0.1" which directs localhost to 127.0.0.1. A PC should always recognize 127.0.0.1 but it will only recognize "localhost" if it's in the HOSTS file. It is by default but spyware can overwrite the HOSTS file.