PDA

View Full Version : Slim Server scanning liblary problems

pablo
2007-05-16, 08:02
Hi
On windows xp this is my music directory
D:\Media\PawelCD
I have deleted cache from C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Cache
restarted server rescaned everything several times. The problem I have is that if browsing by artist there is PawelCD "artist" with several cd's under. This folder does not exists. This is the main folder that holds everything not a subfolder. I have tried many times changing main folder name, deleting cache, clearing liblary and rescaning everything and there is always this one folder(diffrent names) that does not exist! but has cd's inside and plays!
Please help

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-16, 08:35
Have you checked your tags with something like Mp3tag?

pablo
2007-05-16, 08:43
sorry but what do you mean?

MrP
2007-05-16, 08:46
Have you checked your tags with something like Mp3tag?

Mp3tag and Tag & Rename are utilities used for correctly tagging you ripped songs with ARTIST, TITLE, DISC, GENRE etc....

pablo
2007-05-16, 08:53
I have used EAC to rip wav and used default tagging All work is done so no way I will do it again. Any other sugestions?
thanks

MrP
2007-05-16, 08:57
I have used EAC to rip wav and used default tagging All work is done so no way I will do it again. Any other sugestions?
thanks

So is mine but I always check using just in case....I went though nearly 15k of songs! It's worth it.

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-16, 09:08
thanks

...so freedb tagging is infallible, your tags are perfect and you're unwilling to do any work to fix things.

If you had bothered to check out Mp3tag you'd see that you could spot the error in 30 seconds by sorting the artist or album columns.

pablo
2007-05-16, 09:15
sorry what I ment is I will not rip these cd's again.
how do I do this check?

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-16, 09:28
sorry what I ment is I will not rip these cd's again.

You don't have to.

how do I do this check?

Just install Mp3tag and load your library, then sort by artist or album by pressing the column at the top of the window.

But...you said something a little strange. Are these all WAV files? You said you ripped to WAV. If they are WAV files, they don't have tags and Mp3tag won't show anything. SlimServer only knows what artist and album it is by guessing using the file structure in Server Settings - Formatting - Guess Tags Formats.

pablo
2007-05-16, 09:40
yes they are all wav files. It is like server remembers last directory or puts main directory as an artist and puts sme cd there.
I know sounds strange but no matter how many times I have delete cache and rescane it there is always this one artist that does not exists!

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-16, 09:51
Ow. Yet another reason to avoid keeping WAV files. Your options are now limited to what your OS file browser can find and tell you since WAV files have no tags.

So - are your Guess Tags formats appropriate?

You may want to go to Server Settings - Debugging - turn on d_scan, then Server Settings - Basic - Rescan Music Library - Clear library and rescan everything. When that's finished go back to debugging and load the log file by following the link at the last word of the top paragraph that says "here".

Use your browser's search command to search for the artist name in question. This will locate all instances of SlimServer finding that artist name and should give a clue which files get "tagged" that way and why.

pablo
2007-05-16, 09:55
D:\Media\Pablo\Bob Marley\2001 - One Love- The Very Best Of Bob Marley & The Wailers

this is directory on d drive. but in squeezebox I see this as
Home / Artists / Pablo / Bob Marley

I rescaned and changed dir again and I have about 80 artists folders under Pablo in "Slim world" - they are all under D:\Media\Pablo\ and other artists are displayed correct way.

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-16, 10:45
Has the log file indicated what's going on with that album?

Possibly it thinks it's a multiple artists album with the "&" symbol and assigning the album to Bob Marley, The Wailers and Pablo.

You can change what defines multiple artists by going to Server Settings - Behavior - Multiple Items In Tags. Unfortunately this may also affect albums where you truly have multiple artists separated by the "&" command.

With WAV files, since SlimServer doesn't have tags to use, it can only guess based on the file structure. This severely limits flexibility and can lead to issues like this - it also limits what you can do to fix it. You have to somehow indicate that this album is not from multiple artists, revise your guess tags formats so it guesses the artist correctly, or revise the file structure so the guess tags formats can guess the artist correctly.

pablo
2007-05-16, 10:47
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!
I ripped some cd's putting year at the begining of the name of the album. (1980 The best of....)For some reason this made all that mess!. When I removed numbers from start position of the cd name everything is fine now.
thanks for help and I guess other can benefit from this founding.
Pablo