PDA

View Full Version : Playing FLAC files

scoughlan
2007-05-16, 04:01
Since most people prefer FLAC, but this is unsupported by iTunes. What software do people use to actually playback the FLAC files on their computer? I'd like something that opens fast, so I can quickly listen to ripped tracks.

Hercules
2007-05-16, 04:17
A lot of people (myself included) use Foobar2000. It supports FLAC "out of the box".

http://www.foobar2000.org/

It's an excellent player, very lightweight (opens really quickly with none of the connecting-to-the-internet rubbish favoured by the likes of Windows Media Player and iTunes), and in experienced hands, it's a very powerful player too.

Other players support FLAC too, either natively, or with a plug-in.

byKnight
2007-05-16, 04:42
MediaMonkey.com also does flac. My kids use it to get stuff out of my music library onto their mp3 players.

bonze
2007-05-16, 05:59
Windows media player can also be persuaded to play FLAC.
I know it's not the worlds favourite player, but it is usually installed in Windows so why not use it.....

jeffmeh
2007-05-16, 09:32
Winamp will play FLAC also.

Kyle
2007-05-16, 12:27
MusikCube is free, plays flac and has a very small resources footprint -- less than 5mb.

scoughlan
2007-05-17, 02:58
Thanks for the helpful posts. More choice than I thought! I've downloaded Foobar2000 which is great for a quick open and play, and also managed to persuade WMP to play FLACs after following a link on the FLAC homepage. A little tricky, but it worked first time so can't have been too hard! I'd be happier still if Apple supported FLAC with iTunes...

egd
2007-05-17, 03:05
TI've downloaded Foobar2000 which is great for a quick open and play... I'd be happier still if Apple supported FLAC with iTunes...

Foobar is a good choice, snappy player with lots of functionality under the hood if you need it.

It is also rumoured flac support in iTunes is on the way.