PDA

View Full Version : Wagnaaaaaaargh!

adamslim
2007-05-14, 14:38
Anyone got anything out of Wagner? I used to have the Solti Ring cycle but could never listen to it - just never got past first base - in a fit of generosity and self-preservation I gave it away. Is there any way into this music? A softer start than a dozen+ box set of teutonic screeching?

Or should I just lock myself in and listen to the whole thing in one sitting?

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-14, 14:47
Perhaps watching the "Flight of the Valkyries" segment of Apocalypse Now? :-)

TCM
2007-05-15, 00:34
Perhaps watching the "Flight of the Valkyries" segment of Apocalypse Now? :-)

:-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itIDg6sXgbo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3362603.stm

You smell that? Do you smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

haunyack
2007-05-15, 09:05
"You smell that? Do you smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

I still get night sweats over this...40 years on.
Glad it's over for me.

Pray for the squads (and civilians) in the new Nam - Iraq-Afghanistan re-living the nightmare.

Kyle
2007-05-15, 10:15
"Someday this war's gonna end..."

Most people remember the "smell of napalm in the morning" part of that scene. But the delivery of that last line, Duvall's expression and the look on Martin Sheen's face are all classic.

As for praying for our troops, roger that. My daughter's boyfriend is heading over in about six weeks or so.

haunyack
2007-05-16, 20:07
"You smell that? Do you smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

I still get night sweats over this...40 years on.
Glad it's over for me.

Pray for the squads (and civilians) in the new Nam - Iraq-Afghanistan re-living the nightmare.

Threadkill...my apologies

desertrat58
2007-05-16, 20:43
I believe the Looney Toon "What's Opera Doc" can give you the gist in about 7 minutes. Or watch it 120 times if you must sit through 14 hours worth of wonderfully hilarious punishment.

haunyack
2007-05-16, 23:02
I believe the Looney Toon "What's Opera Doc" can give you the gist in about 7 minutes. Or watch it 120 times if you must sit through 14 hours worth of wonderfully hilarious punishment.

Ah yes, Looney Tunes, the anti-Merry Melodies.

Mel Blanc = Genius.
Makes me wonder about his personal audio system?

adamslim
2007-05-17, 12:06
Oh dear...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300110261491&rd=1&rd=1

Deeply stupid, I seem to have met my masochism quotient for the year...

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-17, 12:14
14 CDs for that price! At least you got a good deal on it!

Sorry for the inadvertent thread-jack, BTW.

tomjtx
2007-05-17, 14:19
I wouldn't worry too much about not liking Wagner.

I would say it's a sign of good taste :-)

Seriously, Wagner is one of the few composers I find it hard to listen to.

Of course we had to study him in musicology and theory class but he never won me over.

I do like the romantic composers in general, however.

Eg. Mahler..................that be some good brew, bro.

Mahler was essentially a chamber music composer that scored for large orchestra.
His textures are actually thin and could easily be scored for string quartet.