PDA

View Full Version : Slow SqueezeBox 3 power-up

SumnerBoy
2007-05-14, 03:40
Hi, I have noticed my SB3's (I have two, one wired and one wireless) are taking a long time (30-60secs) to startup when pressing the Power button on my remote - i.e. going from standby to ON.

I got the latest 6.5.2 nightly build last week to make sure I had the latest code, but it is still a problem. It seems to be worse when starting up 'cold'. Once started, I can switch from standby and back again instantly.

I *think* the slow down may coincide with the purchase of my second SB3 (the wireless one in my bedroom). Is this likely? Is this a known problem? Is there anything I can do to improve things, as it is very frustrating when you want to listen to some music and you have to wait up to a minute before anything responds.

NOTE: the delay is the same on both wired and wireless devices.

mherger
2007-05-14, 03:48
> I *think* the slow down may coincide with the purchase of my second SB3
> (the wireless one in my bedroom). Is this likely?

I don't think so. I rather presume your server either being slow or gone
to power saving mode. Once the box is powered up, can you power off/up
with no delay at all or is it always that slow?

What's your server specification?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

SumnerBoy
2007-05-14, 14:36
Once powered up I can power on/off instantly. My server is on 24/7 and is configured to shut off the monitor after 20mins, but nothing else shuts down or goes into standby.

Also, if I go to power up on of my SB3's it will take a long time, then if I go and try to power up the other one, it also takes a long time - i.e. doesn't seem to be related to the server itself.

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-14, 14:59
I have observed this as directly proportional to server load and CPU. When I temporarily ran on a slower server, startup was slower, but only 2 or 3 seconds total.

30-60 seconds is a huge delay. What's the CPU load on your server?

SumnerBoy
2007-05-14, 15:19
I have a high end server, Pentium D 3.2GHz with 4GB of RAM. The load is minimal - the only time there is any sort of load is when I am working, during the day. Anytime I am trying to listen to music, the server is idle.

Is there any logging I can turn on to track the client start up timings etc?

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-14, 20:52
I have a high end server, Pentium D 3.2GHz with 4GB of RAM. The load is minimal - the only time there is any sort of load is when I am working, during the day. Anytime I am trying to listen to music, the server is idle.

Yeah, something's wrong...there's plenty of power.

Is there any logging I can turn on to track the client start up timings etc?

Not sure - d_client?

SumnerBoy
2007-05-14, 22:56
I tried turning on debugging for d_client and d_startup but there didn't seem to be anything obvious in the logs. There is no dates or times in the logs either, so difficult to work out where a delay may be occuring.

I just tried to fire up both SB3's after them being powered down all day. My server was idle, but was not in standby - I had just finished working on it.

Both SB3's (wired and wireless) took 10secs to startup.

Can anyone else offer any suggestions on how to diagnose this problem?