PDA

View Full Version : This is not a (Disc 2)!

James_B
2007-05-14, 02:13
Does anyone have any idea why slimserver would be adding the label "(Disc 2)" to some of my albums... eg "Dead Cities (Disc 2)"? It is not doing it to all of them, but quite a large proportion.

I have looked at the tags for the cause but it does not appear to be in any data files (ID3v1 or ID3v2) so I wonder if it is because it has seen different versions of the albums before... yet in one case it says "(disc 9)".

I have tried clearing, rescanning and erasing the firefox cache but with no successs.

Any help or thoughts greatfully appreciated!

SlimServer Version: 6.5.2 - 11940 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Siduhe
2007-05-14, 02:59
AFAIK Slimserver will only adds the "Disc 2" moniker if the DISCNUMBER tag is set. You don't mention how you are getting the tags in the first place, but if you are downloading them from something like Freeb or MusicBrainz, it's possible that the DISCNUMBER tag is being set without you being aware of it.

I can't explain why it would set DISCNUMBER as 9 though, that does sound very odd.

What program are you looking at to see the ID3v1 / 2 tags, and does it support the DISCNUMBER tag? Have a look at the files in something like Tag & Rename or Mp3tag and try deleting any existing DISCNUMBER tags, then do a full clear and rescan.

Does that solve the problem?

James_B
2007-05-14, 05:02
Thanks for the advice - it was a huge help. I downloaded Tag&Rename and lo and behold.. All the DISCNUMBER settings were as you predicted.

I was using Magic MP3 tagger which indeed utilizes musicbrainz and freedb. But I canīt find the DISCNUMBER setting - so I cant confirm whether it is being used or not. Some albums i have were split - indeed in one extreme circumstance between dsics 2 and 9. Magic does not appear to see this split - nor Media Monkey which I used to attach art.

Maybe it is time i used a new tagger. What would you recommend - I still have masses of unidentified files...!

Siduhe
2007-05-14, 05:34
Tagging files is quite a personal thing - and what you end up using will often depend on how much tags matter to you (and whether you're using them to upload to anything which tracks your music likes, eg Last.fm or similar).

Unfortunately, there is no "magic" solution to getting accurate and consistent tags and you can spend an awful lot of time getting it the way you want it. However, IMHO, it's worth it if you want to get the best out of the Squeezebox.

The Beginners Guide in the wiki has some ideas:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuideToTagging

I've tried and failed to get along with the Magic MP3 tagger, although I can understand why (if you have lots of unidentified files) it might be an attractive starting place.

How "unidentified" are the files - can you get any relevant information on what they are from the file name or folder they are in for example?

If you are ripping from CD, it's a lot easier - most rippers can be configured to pull down relevant information when you rip, and then you can tidy this up afterwards using a tagging program.

For myself, I use (in order):
Audiograbber to rip from CD;

Mp3gain to level the volume of the files across my library (essential if you want to use something like MusicIP to create playlists of random files);

MusicBrainz Picard to check / update the tags so that they match the MusicBrainz database (essential if you want to use Last.fm and "get your dammed tags right" [one of the groups on the Last.fm boards]).

A last check in Tag & Rename for any obvious errors, then all the files get renamed to Artist / Track No / Song name, so that's consistent too (and if I ever lose the tags, I can use the file name to populate the relevant fields) and I download album art via Amazon using the F10 button.

Then open up MusicIP and let the files validate in that program;

Then go to Slimserver Browse Music Folder and (by browsing to the relevant folder) force Slimserver to do a quick update of its database so I can see that album.

Sounds like a lot, but it's pretty straightforward and for one or two albums a week, not time consuming. History does not record how long it took me to get my collection done initially - then about 600 albums - there was a lot of coffee drunk and midnight oil burned as I recall...

Ur[s]uS
2007-05-15, 14:13
Thanks for the advice - it was a huge help. I downloaded Tag&Rename and lo and behold.. All the DISCNUMBER settings were as you predicted.

I was using Magic MP3 tagger which indeed utilizes musicbrainz and freedb. But I canīt find the DISCNUMBER setting - so I cant confirm whether it is being used or not. Some albums i have were split - indeed in one extreme circumstance between dsics 2 and 9. Magic does not appear to see this split - nor Media Monkey which I used to attach art.

Maybe it is time i used a new tagger. What would you recommend - I still have masses of unidentified files...!

Tag & Rename and MP3Tag. Whatever I do wrong with one, I can fix with the other !