PDA

View Full Version : Mbridge - Possible WIFI tablet remote

flipside
2007-05-13, 11:26
Hi all i did a search and didnt find any mention of this http://www.uniconsys.com/mbridge.html

# MBridge™ is a handheld device in a PDA form factor
# WiFi wireless network 802.11b support
# Large 3.5" color TFT screen displaying 262K colors and a resolution of 320x240 with touch panel and adjustable LED backlight
# 2 high speed USB connectors for wide range USB peripheral devices
# 1 high speed USB mini OTG port for PC connection
# Internal SD card expansion port
# Infrared communication port
# Rechargeable Li-Ion 1200 ma/h battery
$199.00

From reading its touch screen and linux based but as its only 320 * 240 is it any use ?

shadowboxer
2007-05-14, 08:45
The "handheld" skin is optimized for the handheld 320x240 resolution, I believe, and should work.

I am intrigued by this little device, especially the price point! But, I can't seem to find any data on what, if any, kind of web browser is included. It does appear to be linux based, like the nokia and the pepperpad, but is a heck of a lot cheaper.

I found the following in a press release from the company:

"8/21/06 - At San Francisco Linux World Expo Unicon Systems is introducing the first wireless mobile chip-on-film Linux computer, based on ARM9 embedded CPU running full blown Linux 2.6 and attached to the back of a 3.5" touch screen. It is equipped with multiple connectivity options including two 2.0 high-speed USB host ports and WiFi, and can be used to create new handheld devices for industrial, security, educational and medical applications, as well as various mobile consumer electronics products"

Here is a link to a pic of the innards:

http://www.linuxdevices.com/files/misc/unicon_system-on-display.jpg

Unfortunately, the device is not "in stock" I went ahead and pre-ordered one purely for use as a digital photo repository. Sounds pretty cool.

shadowboxer
2007-05-14, 08:52
Here is a little more info on the OS:

"The platform's windowing system uses Microwindows Nano-X server which includes a full-screen graphical filemanager, a web server, mysql, php, webdav and xml/rdf libraries. "

shadowboxer
2007-05-14, 09:24
When I get one,
I'll provide some feedback....

JJZolx
2007-05-14, 09:47
When I get one,
I'll provide some feedback....

Looks like vaporware. The lack of a product photo on the main product page is a gigantic red flag. Do a search on 'mbridge' and you'll find about 1/2 dozen different prototype photos.

"This product is out of our stock, but you can preorder it. Please fill out the form below and we will contact you when the product is available."

flipside
2007-05-14, 12:07
Its been shown at mac expo and i saw a video of it in action , though i know this still doesnt mean its not vapor ware especially as it was supposed to be released in october last year. But i have my fingers etc crossed

Good to hear the news about the skin and ive got one on order as well with the pound/dollar ratio the way it is the price isnt too bad even if i cant use it as remote.

Ive emailed them asking for some info

Matt

shadowboxer
2007-05-18, 08:31
Looks like vaporware. The lack of a product photo on the main product page is a gigantic red flag. Do a search on 'mbridge' and you'll find about 1/2 dozen different prototype photos.

"This product is out of our stock, but you can preorder it. Please fill out the form below and we will contact you when the product is available."

I am starting to thing that you are spot-on. The only thing google shows regarding this device is a flurry of similar announcements with the same exact pictures, all occurring between Jan and Mar of LAST year, 2006. Nada since. I think that even the vapor has dissipated by now......

flipside
2007-05-28, 03:23
irritatingly i think your right , ive had no response to my emails. i live in hope there updating the spec to a vga acreen and G/N wirless .... one day im going to have to remove the rose tinted glases

tyler_durden
2007-05-28, 08:56
Palm TX has 320x480 screen, wi-fi that supports WPA, and of course, many application programs, and costs about $250 (often $230).

I tried my wife's TX for controlling slimserver and it works OK, but it isn't a great way to do it. The screen is too small and you need to use the stylus to make selections.

I ended up getting a used Fujitsu ST3500 tablet PC for $220 on ebay- it runs win2k, has a 10", 800x600 touch screen. The only klunky thing about it is that it has a wi-fi card sticking out of the slot.

I installed an 80 GB HDD and loaded VLC media player. Before long car trips I transfer 5 or 6 DVDs to the HDD via the network. It keeps my son happy for hours.

There are a lot of ways to skin a chicken, especially for around $200 or so.

TD

shadowboxer
2007-07-20, 07:44
.....the vapor continues to dissipate.....