PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer won't start on Windows Home Server - no MySQL?

Tufty McTavish
2007-05-13, 07:50
I run SlimServer v6.5.1 on Windows Server 2003. I'm attempting to migrate it to Windows Home Server which is a flavour of Server 2003. SlimServer on WHS will not start. The service attempts to start, then stops immediately. There appear to be no related recordings in the event log.

On my working SlimServer install I note that I have a SlimServerMySQL service. This is *missing* from the WHS installation.

I tried installing SlimServer v6.3.x and v6.2.2 in the hope that maybe v6.5.1 wasn't installing it correctly (I have other issues related to v6.5.1 so my confidence in that build is low).

I then decided to run the mysqld process manually from a command line. After copying across my.cnf and some other data from CACHE, and editing the my.cnf appropriately, the mysqld.exe starts in a command prompt. However, SlimServer still won't start.

1. Why is SlimServerMySQL missing from the WHS install?
2. How do I install SlimServerMySQL manually?
3. If this isn't the cause of the problem, what else should I try?

Top tips appreciated,

Thanks.

mherger
2007-05-13, 08:18
> 1. Why is SlimServerMySQL missing from the WHS install?
> 2. How do I install SlimServerMySQL manually?

Don't know. This hopefully is not needed once we know how exactly your
SlimServer fails. It usually takes care of installing MySQL itself.

> 3. If this isn't the cause of the problem, what else should I try?

Run slim.exe from the command line with the -d_startup parameter. What's
the last few lines of its output?

Michael

Tufty McTavish
2007-05-13, 11:19
Top tip! Running "slim -d_startup parameters" caused the SlimServerMySQL service to appear in the Services list.

There are no notable errors displayed in the command prompt, but the last few that appear are:

:
Loaded module: [Plugins::Live365::Plugin] ok!
Loaded module: [Plugins::LMA::Plugin] ok!
Loaded module: [Plugins::ShoutcastBrowser::Plugin] ok!
Loaded module: [Plugins::RadioTime::Plugin] ok!

Noting that it seemed to be running within the command prompt I stopped it and then manually started the SlimServerMySQL service. That starts up no problem. But starting the SlimServer service continues to fail immediately.

So I fired up the slim.exe command prompt again as you suggested, and now I can access SlimServer via the web interface http://localhost:9000 - that's progress!

I'll go have another tinker around.

mherger
2007-05-13, 11:33
> So I fired up the slim.exe command prompt again as you suggested, and
> now I can access SlimServer via the web interface http://localhost:9000

Check execution permissions in SlimServer's service: if it's set to
"SYSTEM", replace it with your own user and check, whether it's working or
not.

Michael

byKnight
2007-05-14, 07:42
FWIW, I performed a standard SlimServer installation on my WHS box and it just worked.

And it utomatically retstarts whenever I reboot the server (which I only do as part of my WHS evaluation; the box hasn't actually required a reboot).