PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox hangs after a while - help!!!

Chip2500
2007-05-13, 04:25
Hello Everyone and greatings from Switzerland!

I have been the proud owner of a SB3 for a couple of months and this is really a great device.

Now, a couple of weeks ago, my SB3 started to behave strangely. I explain. While listening to music, the SB3 will just hang after what can be a couple of minutes or hours, depending on its mood (in the middle or at the end of a song, or want I skip to another tune) In most cases, the SB3 won't react to the remote control anymore, like frozen, and I need to plug it out and in again and then go over the "setup network" menu, connect to the squeezeserver and restart listening to my music before the next crash. Sometimes, it will react to the remote, but so slowly while going over the network parameters that the best solution is still to plug it out and in again. I also note that it's better to wait a couple of minutes between plug out and plug in. Otherwise, the screen stays black. Othertimes, it will not find the wireless network... last but not least, sometimes, after the SB3 connected to the network and received an ip adress, it will no connect to the slimserver and turns off (but will connect to the squeezenetwork). strange behaviour to me....

I'm on XP with a wireless router (but the problem seems also to occur with a wired connection). SB3 is set on DHCP. I have norton antivus 2005 set to allow slim.exe to access to the router. I must point out that I hadn't touched my settings before the problems started. The only change is a new wireless router, but all other network devices (printer, playstation...) do not encounter any problem.

Can someone help me? Could it be a hardware problem?

thanks

Chip2500

mherger
2007-05-13, 04:38
> I'm on XP with a wireless router (but the problem seems also to occur
> with a wired connection).

Seem to occur or really do? That's an important point as I'd have said
check your environment. New neighbours or new wireless devices at your
neighbour's can cause interference (as do microwave ovens...). So please
check whether it's a wireless only issue or not. When you plug a network
cable, make sure you configure the device to actually use it instead of
the wireless connection.

> that I hadn't touched my settings before the problems started. The only
> change is a new wireless router, but all other network devices (printer,
> playstation...) do not encounter any problem.

This still can be a problem. What product and firmware version are you
using?

One more thing I'd try is a factory reset: unplug the SB3, press and hold
the ADD button on the remote while you power it up again.

Greetings from Bern,

Michael

Chip2500
2007-05-13, 07:36
Thanks Michael,

The first thing I did is reset both my router and the SB3.

I made a couple of tests and I have problems when wired or not wired and when trying to access/stay on the slimserver. When wireless, getting an ip address from the DHCP server is the issue. When wired, finding the squeezeserver as music source is the problem (if have entered its IP address manually but it didn't help).

Not other (apparent) wireless networks in the area. SB and router are in the same room.

Router :

netopia vdsl 3397g(the ones for bluewin tv)firmware, 7.7.1r0. WEP, 128 bits encryption, hidden SSID

Slimserver :

SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 11206 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

I use IE6

It's like the sb and slimserver have trouble finding themselves/staying connected.

Any clue???

Thanks!

Olivier

Anne
2007-05-13, 07:47
Well, you will find lots of threads with this problem.
I had it also, until I updated the firmware for the router....
I also had problems when the router was set on mac filtering the SB3, then the router crashed all the time, but this was before firmware upgrade. I didnt engage the mac filtering again however.
I use WEP personal security.
Did you put in the port exceptions on both the router and the Norton ?
When it plays, do the SB3 react on the remote ? I had one way communication, could choose music from SlimServer but the remote wouldnt work.

Chip2500
2007-05-15, 13:28
Thank you Anne and Michael for your answers,

I continued to try to resolve the problem until I said to myself "this is really a hardware problem". I want to my dealer and asked for an exchange. The new SB3 has been working perfectly for the last 36 hours.... I'm knocking on wood....

Ron F.
2007-06-28, 09:09
I experienced something similar yesterday. When I got home from work, my SB3 was frozen. The screen was displaying "Now Playing" and "Stopped" - I had left it playing while I was out. When I attempted to control the SB3 with the remote, it went blank. My SB3 connects to my music server via a wireless router running 802.11g and WPA-PSK. I am running Slimserver 6.5.2 - Debian, firmware rev 81.

I assumed my new Linux music server had become lethargic, but a quick check indicated it was running fine. Upon further investigation I discovered I could not attach to my wireless router with my WiFi laptop, in fact I could not see any wireless networks at all! I live in an apartment, and normally I can see about 15 other wireless routers from my laptop that are in the other units around me, above me, and below me! My wireless router was sitting 2' from my laptop - and I could not see it in my laptop's wireless network list.

I figured now something was jamming my wireless router, as well as everyone else's.

I unplugged the SB3. Immediately, the laptop (about 15' from the SB3 and in another room) could see all the other access points again, and could also connect to my Netgear router again as well. I am afraid I might have been jamming everyone's WiFi in my building all day? That is not a pleasant thought.

Upon restarting my SB3 it was fine, and has been playing now for about 12 hours without a hiccup. It had been running for some time without an issue - I don't remember the last time it was powered off. Apparently the WiFi card or the SB3 firmware fell into a weird state.

Is there anyway a future firmware revision could detect this and clear itself, or restart?

-Ron

aw4
2007-07-26, 09:29
I have the same problem with my Transporter. It is driving me mad. I had to unplug the Transporter twice last night. I've been trying to fix this for the last few months, but the problem always returns.

Someone needs to take ownership for this issue

msherman
2007-07-26, 10:34
aw4 wrote:
> I have the same problem with my Transporter. It is driving me mad. I
> had to unplug the Transporter twice last night. I've been trying to
> fix this for the last few months, but the problem always returns.
>
> Someone needs to take ownership for this issue

This is a user community; we don't take ownership of problems here. If
you want someone to take ownership, you need to report it to the
developers through bugzilla, or to support through
support (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com. For this kind of problem, I'd recommend support.

- Marc

aw4
2007-07-27, 05:55
I've done that but get NO response except try the latest firmware. THis is a big issue for me that I cannot get resolved.