PDA

View Full Version : New Bjork album?

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-12, 12:12
How is it? The reviewers are raving about it.

I can't say I'm a huge fan, particularly when she goes overboard with that voice of hers (ow, my ears!) but I do like her more funky/electronic/techno stuff like Army of Me, and apparently the new album is quite electronic.

discocarp
2007-05-12, 14:52
Mmm Volta.

I think its not her best work, but it is still great. There is a lot of electronica type stuff on it for sure. But, Bjork being Bjork, there are also things like an all female icelandic brass section.

All in all I'm really pleased with it.

funkstar
2007-05-13, 04:42
I have the album sitting waiting for me to get home.

Quite looking forward to listening to it. I loved the idea of Medula, but i didn't actually like much of the music on there. Hope this one is going to be an easier listen to be honest.

She is an amazing musician though. Yes some of it is chalenging listening, but i love the fact she isn't afraid to experiment.

Nostromo
2007-05-13, 07:32
I love Bjork. My favorite album so far is Homogenic. I think I'll get Volta.

discocarp
2007-05-13, 10:22
Oh FYI the case on this cd is terrible. Just terrible. Its held shut by a sticker. Luckily I just rip and throw the cd in a closet like most of us here. :)

ezkcdude
2007-05-14, 06:08
I'm a huge Bjork fan, and was not dissapointed by Volta. It's definitely worth getting if you're already a fan. Of course, in that case, you probably don't need my two cents, anyway. (BTW, don't read the Pitchfork review, which gave Volta a 5.8. That was absurd.)

Hercules
2007-05-14, 06:45
How is it? The reviewers are raving about it.

I can't say I'm a huge fan, particularly when she goes overboard with that voice of hers (ow, my ears!) but I do like her more funky/electronic/techno stuff like Army of Me, and apparently the new album is quite electronic.

I really like Debut, which I guess fits well into the "funky/electronic/techno" category.

But, equally, I enjoy her squawky stuff, and am a big fan of the Sugarcubes' "Life's Too Good" album.

ralphpnj
2007-05-14, 10:20
Based on how Bjork approaches the human voice and various music/noise effects I've been wondering what a Bjork/Tom Waits collaboration might sound like. Bjork and Tom Waits are the closest that "popular" music comes to avant-garde.

In any event, so far Volta sounds like a winner. I hope that there will a surround mix of Volta released in the near future.

discocarp
2007-05-14, 10:21
I think there is already a surround mix in Europe and Japan. I think the North American surround mix was due out may 22 or something like that.

discocarp
2007-05-14, 16:14
There's a stream of Volta in concert in NYC on npr:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9872952

ralphpnj
2007-05-15, 14:21
There's a stream of Volta in concert in NYC on npr:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9872952

Thanks for the link.

Please be aware that although when trying to listen the music via the website an embedded music player opens within the window there is also an option to open a stand alone player (Windows Media Player). However one can also paste that page's (the page with the embedded music player) url into one's Favorites on the SqueezeNetwork and stream this concert via a Squeezebox or Transporter. The sound quality is not that great since it streams at a very low bit rate but at least it can be streamed.

discocarp
2007-05-15, 15:14
Thanks for the link.

Please be aware that although when trying to listen the music via the website an embedded music player opens within the window there is also an option to open a stand alone player (Windows Media Player). However one can also paste that page's (the page with the embedded music player) url into one's Favorites on the SqueezeNetwork and stream this concert via a Squeezebox or Transporter. The sound quality is not that great since it streams at a very low bit rate but at least it can be streamed.

I did exactly that! That is a perfect description of how to stream this into the sb/tp.

ralphpnj
2007-05-15, 16:55
I did exactly that! That is a perfect description of how to stream this into the sb/tp.

Does that mean I can ask to be bumped up from a "junior member" to a "full member"?

discocarp
2007-05-15, 17:00
Does that mean I can ask to be bumped up from a "junior member" to a "full member"?

I don't think my opinions hold much weight around here. :)

adamslim
2007-05-16, 01:30
Just keep posting - this is a volumocracy not a meritocracy :)

Adam

discocarp
2007-05-19, 05:41
I just wanted to add that the more I listen to Volta the more I like it.

Hercules
2007-05-19, 07:44
I've just noticed you can buy Volta in FLAC format from here:
http://www.bleep.com/?bleep=TPLP460CDF

discocarp
2007-05-19, 08:36
Is that site legit? They say One Little Indian put out Volta, but Volta was on Atlantic, *not* OLI like most of Bjork's releases.

haunyack
2007-05-19, 08:51
$18.23 Usd

Hercules
2007-05-19, 10:18
Yes, BLEEP is definitely a legitimate site.

It doesn't really sell mainstream music though, presumably having been avoided by labels who (in the past - but maybe less so in the future) will have frowned upon its policy of selling music in high bit-rate MP3 format without DRM, and also some releases in FLAC as well. I think it was one of the first stores in the UK to sell anything in FLAC.

I appreciate that the prices will not compare favourably to those that you guys enjoy outside of the UK!

discocarp
2007-05-19, 10:21
Ok its in the UK. I think volta may have only been released on Atlantic in the US. I'm not positive but I think I remember reading something like that.

Nostromo
2007-05-19, 10:29
$18.23 Usd

Check elsewhere. I got it for about 14$ cdn

adamslim
2007-05-19, 15:37
Is anyone else totally in love with 'the dull flame of desire'? BJ (as I like to refer to her...) does come up with some beauts sometimes. Great album, IMO!

Adam

discocarp
2007-05-19, 15:57
Its a beautiful song. I think that's the one song I couldn't stand when I first heard it, but everytime I hear it I like it more and more.

Hercules
2007-05-20, 01:23
Check elsewhere. I got it for about 14$ cdn

Where is that?

I wonder if there are any restrictions on UK-based people buying from Canadian or US sites...

egd
2007-05-20, 03:09
I wonder if there are any restrictions on UK-based people buying from Canadian or US sites...

I'm in Australia and regularly purchase from Amazon.com and other foreign entities. Some places may require you to speak with them prior especially if your billing and delivery address differ when paying by card. Unless you're purchasing a few items any savings in the cost of a single CD will likely be consumed by shipping charges.

Hercules
2007-05-20, 05:16
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post!

I was referring to paying for a download (i.e. an album in FLAC), rather than the shipping of a physical CD.

14.00 CAD is about 6.50 GBP, which is cheaper than the BLEEP price of 9.00 GBP.

egd
2007-05-20, 18:34
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post!

I was referring to paying for a download (i.e. an album in FLAC), rather than the shipping of a physical CD.

14.00 CAD is about 6.50 GBP, which is cheaper than the BLEEP price of 9.00 GBP.

Give it a try, if it doesn't work you could always put a Canadian or US proxy between yourself and the site you're looking to purchase the d/l from. It may be enough to throw them unless they don't accept foreign cards. IP addresses are becoming the newest incarnation of controlling markets regionally, much like it was thought DVD encoding would allow discriminatory pricing by region.