PDA

View Full Version : Please help - Newbiw connect to Slimserver!

Ray70
2007-05-11, 17:36
Please help me - I'm almost ready to throw my TP out the window!

I have a Netgear wireless router and no AV software installed. I have firewall settings disabled in Windows XP. My Transporter can connect to my wireless network easily enough, but can't connect to Slimserver. Slimserver is installed on a QNAPS 101, which is connected to the Netgear router.

At the very last part of the set up, the TP fails to connect to Slimserver and shuts down. I can connect to the Squeezenetwork though and get radio.

Could it be a setting in my router not allowing the TP to connect to the QNAPS?

Please, please help. This is my first experience with a SB / TP and I must admit - I feel like sending it back to the shop :(

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-11, 17:59
Do you know what the address of the Qnap is? Do you know that SlimServer is installed on it and working properly? (i.e. can you see the SlimServer web page at <qnap.IP.address>:9000?)

If SlimServer is installed and if it is working properly, the Transporter should see it without you even having to enter its IP address because it's broadcasting its name over your LAN. After you connect to your router and you scroll down, you should have a choice to connect to it using its name. If not, enter in the address manually.

If you can connect to SqueezeNetwork that means your router isn't blocking anything.

SuperQ
2007-05-11, 21:35
Please, please help. This is my first experience with a SB / TP and I must admit - I feel like sending it back to the shop :(

Have you called Slimdevices Support? They are very good at helping people get setup..

Ray70
2007-05-11, 22:32
Do you know what the address of the Qnap is? Do you know that SlimServer is installed on it and working properly? (i.e. can you see the SlimServer web page at <qnap.IP.address>:9000?)

If SlimServer is installed and if it is working properly, the Transporter should see it without you even having to enter its IP address because it's broadcasting its name over your LAN. After you connect to your router and you scroll down, you should have a choice to connect to it using its name. If not, enter in the address manually.

If you can connect to SqueezeNetwork that means your router isn't blocking anything.

Yes, I know the IP address and the Transporter is automatically picking up the right address. I can connect to the Slimserver:9000 address, but how can I tell if it's working properly? It's able to locate the songs I've stored on it, so it looks like it's working correctly.

ceejay
2007-05-12, 00:07
Yes, I know the IP address and the Transporter is automatically picking up the right address. I can connect to the Slimserver:9000 address, but how can I tell if it's working properly? It's able to locate the songs I've stored on it, so it looks like it's working correctly.

In which case I for one am confused. "What" is able to locate the songs?

1 - from your Windows machine, you open up a browser and point it to the slimserver machine:9000 .... you can see that slimserver is running, and browse your songs? If so this proves that slimserver is running, which is a good start.

2 - The TP, if I understand correctly, is failing to find the slimserver? If so you'll have an unresponsive TP (except when you connect to SqueezeNetwork), and also it won't be showing up in the Slimserver web interface (the right hand side of the screen will be saying something to the effect that you don't have a player connected...)

If I've understood correctly then something is stopping the two from talking to each other. It seems unlikely to be the router since you will have proved that both the slimserver and the TP are able to connect to the network. It might be a slimserver setting - through the web interface go to Server Settings / Security /Block Incoming Connections, set to "do not block".

You might also want to try installing Softsqueeze on your Windows PC and see if you can get that talking to Slimserver. If it doesn't, you might want to confirm that there is no firewall on the QNAP getting in the way, or at least if there is that the rightports are opened.

HTH
Ceejay

(PS stick with it - it will almost certainly turn out to be something really simple.....)

Ray70
2007-05-12, 01:40
I think I've worked out what it is. The QNAPS has SS 6.3 installed but the TP manual states that 6.5 or later is required.

I've tried to update the version of SS on my QNAPS but don't know how to do it. Any ideas?

I installed SS 6.5 on my Windows PC and copied a few songs on to it and the TP saw it straight away.

Ray70
2007-05-12, 01:41
In which case I for one am confused. "What" is able to locate the songs?

1 - from your Windows machine, you open up a browser and point it to the slimserver machine:9000 .... you can see that slimserver is running, and browse your songs? If so this proves that slimserver is running, which is a good start.

2 - The TP, if I understand correctly, is failing to find the slimserver? If so you'll have an unresponsive TP (except when you connect to SqueezeNetwork), and also it won't be showing up in the Slimserver web interface (the right hand side of the screen will be saying something to the effect that you don't have a player connected...)

If I've understood correctly then something is stopping the two from talking to each other. It seems unlikely to be the router since you will have proved that both the slimserver and the TP are able to connect to the network. It might be a slimserver setting - through the web interface go to Server Settings / Security /Block Incoming Connections, set to "do not block".

You might also want to try installing Softsqueeze on your Windows PC and see if you can get that talking to Slimserver. If it doesn't, you might want to confirm that there is no firewall on the QNAP getting in the way, or at least if there is that the rightports are opened.

HTH
Ceejay

(PS stick with it - it will almost certainly turn out to be something really simple.....)

Thanks Ceejay. I'm hoping it is as simple as updating SS to 6.5!

amcluesent
2007-05-12, 02:12
>I've tried to update the version of SS on my QNAPS but don't know how to do it. Any ideas? <

There's quite a few posts about doing this on the 3rd Party Hardware forum on this board. Seems you need to pull All-In-One Update and SlimServer 6.5.1 updates from here -

http://www.progressiveav.com/ts101_update/