PDA

View Full Version : 'Clear library and rescan everything' for just one album cover?

Arie
2007-05-10, 22:03
I am wondering if there is a solution to one last anoying thing for this great software.
The first page on my slimserver web interface usually is New Music, in which I show the album covers as well. After adding a new album to the collection and a 'Look for new and changed music' rescan it is shown properly. However, when I change the MP3 tags of that album, and rescan again, the album cover is gone, and the dummy picture is shown instead.
Does anyone know if there is a solution or workaround? Because after a 'Clear library and rescan everything' all the statistics (which songs played most, etcetera) are gone.
Thanx

Pale Blue Ego
2007-05-10, 23:59
Did you try using the "Browse Music Folders" option in slimserver? Using this interface to navigate to the tracks in question causes the database to update the information for those tracks.

It's a good way to add a few new albums to the library without having to do a rescan.

Ur[s]uS
2007-05-11, 00:49
I am wondering if there is a solution to one last anoying thing for this great software.
The first page on my slimserver web interface usually is New Music, in which I show the album covers as well. After adding a new album to the collection and a 'Look for new and changed music' rescan it is shown properly. However, when I change the MP3 tags of that album, and rescan again, the album cover is gone, and the dummy picture is shown instead.
Does anyone know if there is a solution or workaround? Because after a 'Clear library and rescan everything' all the statistics (which songs played most, etcetera) are gone.
Thanx

is the art folder.jpg
if not, add one
as you click through to the modified new music, does albumart show in album view?
not sure this affects track stats, but delete slimserver cache should force recheck for art
also, Erland has plugin to preserve stats, even after clear and rescan (TrackStat, I think) - perhaps the easiest solution is to use the plugin

tommypeters
2007-05-11, 01:18
At least in the old 6.3.1, "Browse Music Folder" doesn't add album art. I added that manually, but that of course requires SQL knowledge. It can't be that difficult to create a routine that just checks/fixes album art, and I don't understand why SlimServer works this way and only updates album art at rescan.

Trackstat may conserve everything at a rescan, but with a library on a (slow) NAS you want to limit the number of rescans...

Arie
2007-05-11, 02:16
Did you try using the "Browse Music Folders" option in slimserver? Using this interface to navigate to the tracks in question causes the database to update the information for those tracks.

It's a good way to add a few new albums to the library without having to do a rescan.

Yes, I have tried this and it works if there just a new album, but after changing the tag information - with MP3 tag for instance - it looses the picture, i.e. my folder.jpg.

Arie
2007-05-11, 02:24
uS;201202']is the art folder.jpg
if not, add one
as you click through to the modified new music, does albumart show in album view?
not sure this affects track stats, but delete slimserver cache should force recheck for art
also, Erland has plugin to preserve stats, even after clear and rescan (TrackStat, I think) - perhaps the easiest solution is to use the plugin

When I browse the particulare album the album art, folder.jpg, is visible. I know about the plugin, but I think this is a bug, and probably should report it as such.

agentsmith
2007-05-11, 02:42
Have you tried the following?

1. Copy down the full path containing your changed music
2. From slim server main web page, click on "Tune In URL"
3. Paste in the full path containing your changed music
4. Click "Tune In"
5. It should start a local scan of that folder and start playing

if you browse to that song it should show the bitmap

Arie
2007-05-11, 03:08
Have you tried the following?

1. Copy down the full path containing your changed music
2. From slim server main web page, click on "Tune In URL"
3. Paste in the full path containing your changed music
4. Click "Tune In"
5. It should start a local scan of that folder and start playing

if you browse to that song it should show the bitmap

I have tried the above, but this doesn't work because of the spaces in the path (or am I missing something?).
For your information, when I play the album, I do see the ablum art in Now Playing, but not in the New Music list.

Arie
2007-05-11, 16:26
The problem seems to be solved after the last update to version 6.5.2 - 11968.

dcote
2007-11-14, 13:19
i would like to chip in here... because it seems as if arie and i may have the same problem. (correct me if i am wrong arie!)

when i add new music, albumart shows up in "album view" but thumbnails in "browse albums" do NOT.

this happens even without a complete re-scan, just scanning for new and changed is enough (i am running 6.5.3).

but how does one get the thumbnails to update/show without a complete re-scan? no amount of browsing to anywhere fixes the thumbnails for me.

and as you can see they do work, so i am assuming my configured settings are ok.

amcluesent
2007-11-14, 16:43
I'm using SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252, and there is still oddness in scanning album art.

Browsing music folders definitely never adds art from folder.jpg. Scanning for changes can sometimes cause recently added albums to 'forget' the album art they had. Only a full scan restores things. Very annoying that after all this time, a basic function remains hit and miss.

Studio_Two
2007-12-24, 02:45

That's a great tip! Just what I was looking for....

Thanks,
Stephen

Itlan
2008-01-02, 07:55
How exactly do you "Browse Music Folder". If I switch the path in the Browse to section on the main page and then hit rescan on just that folder it drops my entire collection and pulls in that one folder. I thought I might have had it on clear library and rescan everything btu I did it twice and both times it drops everything and only adds that one folder? Is there some other way to do this?

Rick B.
2008-01-02, 11:01
Just browse as if you wanted to play the album.