PDA

View Full Version : Awesome product!

prabbit
2007-05-10, 09:03
Wow! It has taken me a couple of weeks to get things set up the way I want. I'm not done just yet, but want to say how thoroughly happy I am with SlimServer, SqueezeBox, SoftSqueeze, many of the plugins, and these forums.

I now have my music in the rooms of my house where I want it (two SB3s and two SoftSqueezes). I did it with relatively cheaply ($808 for two white SB3s and two sets of AudioEngine 5 speakers -- I found a good deal on the speakers!) and am now streaming my music from home to my work.

SlimServer requires a geek to run it. It took a bit of time to figure out the user SlimServer interface -- especially getting to the Plugins page and scrolling and scrolling and scrolling some more. TrackStat was tricky to configure to sync with iTunes, but I figured it out.

The remote with the Squeezebox is great. My wife gets "it" and I'm happy.

Now I need to evaluate whether I actually need to re-rip my CDs from mp3 to flac. Then there's all of the tagging to do.

From someone who "gets it" (er, "understands it"), well done to Slim Devices and these forums! It's exactly the solution I needed.

mrfantasy
2007-05-10, 09:07
Now I need to evaluate whether I actually need to re-rip my CDs from mp3 to flac. Then there's all of the tagging to do.

Definitely do the comparison. It might depend some on bitrate--for instance if you're at 256k or better, it will be much harder to tell the difference--but I'd certainly do any new rips in flac. You can always transcode down to whatever mp3 bitrate you need for portable players, remote listening, etc.

badbob
2007-05-10, 09:31
Then there's all of the tagging to do..

You don't need to do any manual tagging, the ripper will update the flac files with all the correct info, taken from cddb database.

shadowboxer
2007-05-10, 13:14

From someone who "gets it" (er, "understands it"), well done to Slim Devices and these forums! It's exactly the solution I needed.

That is kinda the juncture where I presently find myself. My collection ia about 60% 320 MP3 and the rest 256, also MP3. I am kinda lazy and use itunes to rip my cds and just don't know if it would be worth the effort. I read the wiki about setting up the free FLAC encoding program and it looks like a daunting process!

For this month, I need to get back to the "streaming to work" problem. Hamachi did a client software update that shut me down. Why, I don't know. Gonna try the ssh tunneling with softwqueeze, if I can figure it out. Wish there was a step by step wiki page on that...

BTW, Mr. Peter Rabbit ;-), welcome to the wonderful world of slimserver. I am at 5 SBs and counting. It has completely changed the way I listen to music!

secabeen
2007-05-10, 13:41
That is kinda the juncture where I presently find myself. My collection ia about 60% 320 MP3 and the rest 256, also MP3. I am kinda lazy and use itunes to rip my cds and just don't know if it would be worth the effort. I read the wiki about setting up the free FLAC encoding program and it looks like a daunting process!

Take a look at AutoFLAC: http://legroom.net/software/autoflac
It takes a lot of the guesswork out of EAC, and makes the ripping process pretty seamless, handling interacting with EAC, adding replaygain and the like. All you do it stick in the CD and hit OK on AutoFLAC and it takes care of the rest. It's substantially simpler than the process currently listed on the Wiki.

--Ted

Ian_F
2007-05-10, 13:49

I decided to go for the "do it properly" approach and rip in FLAC. Whilst it can seem daunting at first it's not a race. The way I did mine was to pop a CD into my computer each time I turned it on and let it rip in the background. Each time I then walked past my computer and noticed it had finished one I put another one in. Took several weeks to do them all but I was in no rush.

I'm not 100% happy with all the tags but I'll tackle that in stages too. When I've got a spare 10 minutes I'll tackle a handful of albums and so on.

Given you've already got all your music ripped there really is no rush is there. As has been said above, rip a few and see whether you can hear the difference. If not, save the job until you really have nothing better to do with your time! ;)

shadowboxer
2007-05-10, 14:09
Take a look at AutoFLAC: http://legroom.net/software/autoflac
--Ted

Thanks for the link, Ted. I'll take a look at it.

-dale

prabbit
2007-05-10, 14:33
Given you've already got all your music ripped there really is no rush is there. As has been said above, rip a few and see whether you can hear the difference. If not, save the job until you really have nothing better to do with your time! ;)

With 17750 songs by 1214 artists I'm definitely in no hurry to tackle this project and if I do, it'll be as you suggest. I suspect the tags that I might get from CDDB or Musicbrainz or where have you, may or may not meet what I'd like them to have. So, tagging (as suggested above) may not be fully automatic. Based on my limited work with mp3Tag, there are deficiencies. But, I'm quite happy with where things are at for now.

Besides, I'd need to buy new external hard drives to hold my FLACs and I've already exceeded my toy budget.

Ian_F
2007-05-10, 15:11
With 17750 songs by 1214 artists I'm definitely in no hurry to tackle this project

Ouch, that IS a lot, isn't it. I only have around 300 CDs and even that amount I'd not like to tackle again from scratch.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-05-10, 16:37
Whether you have mp3s or FLACs, proper tagging makes everything so much nicer. The process is sometimes daunting, because tagging is an inexact science and personal preferences come into play.

At present, I'm trying to get album art for every track. It's a hassle - but in a way, fun. 99% of my library is ripped from my own CDs, so you'd think album art wouldn't be a problem. But since I want to list each track with the ORIGINAL album, cover, and year, it doesn't matter that I've ripped it from a 2002 greatest hits CD - I still have to do the research. I'm surprised to find how many albums never made it to CD...and even how many singles never made it onto an LP...but Google Images has been very handy for finding obscure, out-of-print album art.

mrfantasy
2007-05-10, 16:45
With 17750 songs by 1214 artists I'm definitely in no hurry to tackle this project and if I do, it'll be as you suggest. I suspect the tags that I might get from CDDB or Musicbrainz or where have you, may or may not meet what I'd like them to have. So, tagging (as suggested above) may not be fully automatic. Based on my limited work with mp3Tag, there are deficiencies. But, I'm quite happy with where things are at for now.

MP3tag is about the best I've seen for tag editing. It is a bit tricky to learn but so far I haven't had it not be able to do anything. For instance, since my files are in folders by artist, I can load the whole folder in mp3tag and set the ARTISTSORT tag so, say, Peter Gabriel shows up in "G" and not "P".

You can certainly play the rip a few as you have time game if you've already got MP3s. I set up a fully automated system with my Kuro Box (Linux-based NAS) and I did about 8-10 a day until I was done. Really very little extra time.

Besides, I'd need to buy new external hard drives to hold my FLACs and I've already exceeded my toy budget.

You can get a 500GB external drive for around $160. How fast does the toy budget line replenish ;-)?

prabbit
2007-05-10, 16:57
You can get a 500GB external drive for around $160. How fast does the toy budget line replenish ;-)?

Based on the limited calculations I've done 500GB wouldn't be enough for my FLACs (compressed at -6, switching to -8 didn't compress it much further) and MP3s (80GB) for the iPod. And then I need a second one for backup -- because I'm paranoid. No sense doing all of the work only to have a hard drive die on you! Besides, it's rare that a music collection gets smaller. Need room for growth.

The toy budget never replenishes fast enough!