PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade to Vista?

Hercules
2007-05-10, 07:10
As I'm currently a "Windows" (rather than "Linux") person, and enjoy tinkering, I'm thinking of upgrading my PC from XP to Vista.

The PC is beefy enough to cope (with 2GB of RAM - and space for more if necessary - and a fast processor). The Asus site says my motherboard is supported, and the various motherboard drivers are available for download. I only have 3 components attached to the motherboard - 2 hard-drives and an DVD/RW drive - and I am asusming they will be readily supported.

The main uses of the computer at the moment revolve around general messing about (surfing, e-mailing, watching vids in VideoLAN, etc.), some work in MS Office 2007, and of course the various activities associated with my Squeezebox (running SlimServer, managing music with a combination of EAC, FLAC, MP3Tag & Foobar2000).

So, should I take the plunge, or is Vista still a little too rough around the edges (as the "Vista" sticky thread perhaps suggests)?

Xorro
2007-05-10, 07:27
It depends why you want to upgrade. I have Vista because it came on a new PC I bought.

If you are happy to put up with the annoying features of Vista (in the sticky post you mentioned), plus the "You want to move this file", "I'll ask the administrator if its OK to move the file", "Ah, you are the administrator, do you want to allow yourself to move the file?"

vdorta
2007-05-10, 07:48
So, should I take the plunge, or is Vista still a little too rough around the edges (as the "Vista" sticky thread perhaps suggests)?
I find Vista better than XP in every way, solid and reliable and with surprisingly clearer sound from my flac files via XMPlay and headphones. I also use PCLinuxOS TR4 and the difference in sound is similar, Amarok sounding a bit dark and undynamic like XP. By the way, Vista's User Account Control is similar to Linux "su" administrator password protection; you get used to the small inconvenience in order to have more security.

Matt Shelton
2007-05-10, 07:50
Hercules, with the exception of the issues I've had with SlimServer, Vista has worked 1,000% flawlessly for me. I was a big XP user prior to then.

badbob
2007-05-10, 07:56
Vista is a bigger resource hog, requires a higher end machine (is slower) and for gaming, is slower fps.

Driver support isn't as wide as XP either.

Pale Blue Ego
2007-05-10, 16:56
As I'm currently a "Windows" (rather than "Linux") person, and enjoy tinkering, I'm thinking of upgrading my PC from XP to Vista.

The PC is beefy enough to cope (with 2GB of RAM - and space for more if necessary - and a fast processor). The Asus site says my motherboard is supported, and the various motherboard drivers are available for download. I only have 3 components attached to the motherboard - 2 hard-drives and an DVD/RW drive - and I am asusming they will be readily supported.

The main uses of the computer at the moment revolve around general messing about (surfing, e-mailing, watching vids in VideoLAN, etc.), some work in MS Office 2007, and of course the various activities associated with my Squeezebox (running SlimServer, managing music with a combination of EAC, FLAC, MP3Tag & Foobar2000).

You sound like a good candidate for Ubuntu :0

Seriously, you aren't doing anything that requires a Windows OS. The only reason I'm keeping Win2k on my main PC is that I do high-def video capture and editing which, while possible on Linux, isn't yet supported for my current hardware.

If you like to tinker, Linux is the OS for you. You have complete control of EVERYTHING.

Hercules
2007-05-11, 12:47
You sound like a good candidate for Ubuntu :0

Seriously, you aren't doing anything that requires a Windows OS. The only reason I'm keeping Win2k on my main PC is that I do high-def video capture and editing which, while possible on Linux, isn't yet supported for my current hardware.

If you like to tinker, Linux is the OS for you. You have complete control of EVERYTHING.

I am a good candidate for Ubuntu, and, as this thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34498) testifies, was intending to use that O/S.

But as I now just have one PC, and have the occasional need to do some work using MS Office products, I'll have to stick with Windows...

I was talking to our IT guys at work today and they told me about Norton Ghost. So I'm now thinking of taking a copy of my current XP image and then trying out Vista. If it works, then great! It it doesn't, I'll just restore back to XP!

TurnipMan
2007-05-11, 13:26
You could always dual boot, but even more room for fiddling would be to use VMWare and run windows and office in that for your occasional need.
Tom

aubuti
2007-05-11, 14:14
I am a good candidate for Ubuntu, and, as this thread (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34498) testifies, was intending to use that O/S.

But as I now just have one PC, and have the occasional need to do some work using MS Office products, I'll have to stick with Windows...
No you don't. Like TurnipMan says, you can have dual boot system. It's easy to set up, and gives you all the options.

bklaas
2007-05-11, 14:18
See also: Open Office http://www.openoffice.org/
See also: Crossover Office http://www.codeweavers.com/

I'm just sayin'....

Hercules
2007-05-11, 15:17
Will you lot stop trying to tempt me to spend even more time fiddling! ;-)

kage
2007-05-11, 17:59
off topic question, would vista improve your online gaming experience?

davep
2007-05-11, 19:12
Will you lot stop trying to tempt me to spend even more time fiddling! ;-)

Sorry, too late to stop now. Ubuntu beckons...

davep

vdorta
2007-05-11, 22:42
I am a good candidate for Ubuntu
Ubuntu is popular but may not be the easiest distro to migrate to from Windows; if you still like Ubuntu and want to dual-boot in one hard drive, I would recommend LinuxMint (same as Ubuntu, but ready to go with all needed plugins); if you have two hard drives and want to install Linux independently of Windows, do not use Ubuntu or LinuxMint because its installer will swap the drive names and you'll then be asking for help in a Linux forum). Try PCLinuxOS, a KDE distro that is very similar to Windows and will not give you any surprises.

mswlogo
2007-05-12, 07:30
I agree with prior posts. Vista has been well worth while.

I upgraded 3 machines, home desktop (ripping station).
Laptop and Desktop at work doing windows developement.

All running great. Vista is highly recommended if you like playing with the latest.

I've had no resource issues but I shut off a couple "background" "helpers" (indexing etc.).

You can shut off the a the "annoyances" UAC etc. if you want. I prefer it on to keep piece of mind. You learn what programs obey the rules and what don't.

I have not run Slimserver on vista yet becuase that machine may not be supported and is not all that fast or that much memory. All it does is Slimserver so I didn't bother. I wouldn't expect any show stopper problems.

There are solutions for most compatibility problems.

So far out of many many apps I use for work and fun 2 are crippled but still are usable.

Wavelab Lite file dialog crashes on Vista (very old application). Still usable by opening files via right click on file and never using save as (just save).

The other application is Meridian Audio configuration program. Has a bug recording XML data when recording Room Correction data. It does not terminate the Base64 block correctly which I can hand repair.

corbey
2007-05-12, 08:09
I was talking to our IT guys at work today and they told me about Norton Ghost. So I'm now thinking of taking a copy of my current XP image and then trying out Vista. If it works, then great! It it doesn't, I'll just restore back to XP!

IT guys do tend to like Ghost, but on a home PC, I've found that Acronis True Image is more flexible and much less of a system resource hog.

My two cents.

kjg
2007-05-12, 12:32
aubuti wrote:
> Hercules;201306 Wrote:
>
>> I am a good candidate for Ubuntu, and, as 'this thread'
>> (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=34498) testifies, was
>> intending to use that O/S.
>>
>> But as I now just have one PC, and have the occasional need to do some
>> work using MS Office products, I'll have to stick with Windows...
>>
> No you don't. Like TurnipMan says, you can have dual boot system. It's
> easy to set up, and gives you all the options.
>
>

Alternately, if you have enough memory and horsepower you can run Ubuntu
(or Windows) in a virtual machine and have both at the same time :).

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

mswlogo
2007-05-12, 13:56
IT guys do tend to like Ghost, but on a home PC, I've found that Acronis True Image is more flexible and much less of a system resource hog.

My two cents.

I don't think he's talking about a continuous backup product which ghost also has. Just a one shot image backup and restore if needed. There are no resource issues with an image backup. There may or may not be with any realtime continuous backup tool though. Actually Vista has some of that functionality built in.

One thing I do like about Vista is a much strictor enforcement of the seperation of programs and data and a bit easier to find your data associated with apps.

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-14, 10:04
See also: Open Office http://www.openoffice.org/

...which comes installed in Ubuntu by default...

See also: Crossover Office http://www.codeweavers.com/

...which can be installed by Automatix2.

:-)

fred7
2007-05-15, 17:18

My two cents.

I've also been using Acronis True Image for over a year now and I really love it. The real test of any backup is the restore and I've restored a few machines and all worked out well. I don't know much about Ghost but a great feature that Acronis has is that even though it can do an image dump you can still restore on a file by file basis with the image. I'm not sure if this is common in new backup programs but it is a great feature.