PDA

View Full Version : Transporter heat

MrD
2007-05-09, 15:55
How much heat should an "off" transporter give off?

My H20 directv box sits on the TP, the H20 is a small fusion plant and I think the TP's aluminum frame is acting as a heat sink for the H20.

Anne
2007-05-09, 16:30
Heat doesnt go down, it goes up, besides, an off unit shouldnt produce much heat, like a television in standby I would assume.

JJZolx
2007-05-09, 16:41
How much heat should an "off" transporter give off?

My H20 directv box sits on the TP, the H20 is a small fusion plant and I think the TP's aluminum frame is acting as a heat sink for the H20.
I'm probably missing something, but why not just move the DirectTV box and see for yourself how much heat the Transporter generates?

Mark Lanctot
2007-05-09, 17:31
The Transporter doesn't put out an appreciable amount of heat in idle. Portions of the case will remain vaguely lukewarm I guess.

Heat is electronics' biggest enemy though, and smothering heat radiation and convection is definitely something you should avoid doing to a $2000 box.

MrD
2007-05-09, 20:24
The Transporter doesn't put out an appreciable amount of heat in idle. Portions of the case will remain vaguely lukewarm I guess.

Heat is electronics' biggest enemy though, and smothering heat radiation and convection is definitely something you should avoid doing to a $2000 box.

Thanks, this is the answer I am looking for.

MrD
2007-05-09, 20:30
Heat doesnt go down, it goes up, besides, an off unit shouldnt produce much heat, like a television in standby I would assume.

Thanks. Not to be pedantic... but I cant help myself :)

Heat moves in three ways: Radiation, conduction, and convection.

Meaning heat can "flow" into another object that is cooler (i.e. the transporter).

I was just trying to determine if other people had warm or hot transporters.

GoCubs
2007-05-10, 08:45
Those H20 boxes are known to get very hot, especially some of the earlier revisions of it (from memory I think they're H20-600's that were made by a different manufacturer). The newer H20's (H20-100's?) don't get AS hot, but doubt it'd be easy to get DTV to swap one out unless yours "mysteriously" stopped working...

-Greg