PDA

View Full Version : Three glitches playing decompressed FLACs

Mark A. Aiken
2004-01-04, 12:28
I'm a new Squeezebox owner and just got my box up and running. My music collection is in FLAC, and I tweaked convert.conf so the FLAC files get expanded to WAV and then streamed straight to the Squeezebox (instead of getting crunched to MP3 first). The one and only entry in my convert.conf that mentions FLAC now looks like this:

flc wav * *
flac -dc $FILE$ -

I've noticed a few glitches that I'm wondering if anyone has insight into:

- When I display the elapsed / remaining time or the progress bar, it becomes clear that progress tracking is out of whack. The total track time seems to be accurate, but the Squeezebox seems to count time at roughly 4x the correct rate. This causes it to think it has reached the end of the track early, and from that point until the track actually finishes playing, any web browsers I have open and pointed at the server refresh the playlist pane at a furious rate, which is very distracting (I understand the rapid-refresh is a feature when the Squeezebox thinks it's near the end of a track, but this ends up being most of the time for me!)

- Much (but not all) of the time, the Squeezebox will play a noticible pop when starting a new track. This seems to happen more when I use the remote to jump to a new track, but I've noticed it when transitioning to the next track on the playlist, too. This is particularly distracting when transitioning between soft classical tracks. I have only a couple MP3s in my library, and I've tried jumping to them a number of times to see if I observe the pop, and have been unable to get it to manifest with MP3s.

- Every so often, the Squeezebox will "drop out" for a second or so. Resumption of sound usually comes with the familiar pop. The Squeezebox reports a wireless strength of ~50% but a nearby laptop reports "excellent" signal strength. How much internal buffering does the Squeezebox do? Assuming this is due to intermittent wireless flakiness, are there parameters I can play with to cause more aggressive buffering? I have an 802.11b network.

Any help appreciated. My Slimserver reports that it is version 5.0.1, and that the Squeezebox firmware version is "5". If updating the firmware is suggested, could someone please point me to the update tool and image? In poking around the slimdevices web site, I haven't seen anything that looks like a firmware update for the Squeezebox.

Many thanks!

Mark

seanadams
2004-01-05, 09:53
>
> - Much (but not all) of the time, the Squeezebox will play a
> noticible pop when starting a new track. This seems to happen more
> when I use the remote to jump to a new track, but I've noticed it when
> transitioning to the next track on the playlist, too.

We just fixed this one (new firmware is in CVS). Please install from
CVS or wait until tomorrow then install the latest nightly build. You
should get prompted for an automatic firmware update after installing
the new server.

Caleb Epstein
2004-01-05, 10:56
On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 08:53:37AM -0800, Sean Adams wrote:

> >
> >??? - Much (but not all) of the time, the Squeezebox will play a
> >noticible pop when starting a new track. This seems to happen more
> >when I use the remote to jump to a new track, but I've noticed it when
> >transitioning to the next track on the playlist, too.
>
> We just fixed this one (new firmware is in CVS). Please install from
> CVS or wait until tomorrow then install the latest nightly build. You
> should get prompted for an automatic firmware update after installing
> the new server.

Does this mean you are ignoring non-DATA chunks in WAV streams
now? There was also a convert.conf fix for this which forced
FLAC to output raw PCM samples instead of a full WAV stream
with header.

--
| | Q. Why is this so clumsy? A. The trick
Caleb Epstein | bklyn . org | is to use Perl's strengths rather than its