PDA

View Full Version : Getting information on tracks playing

adamslim
2007-05-08, 13:27
A rather painful thread in the audiophile forum gave me an idea: why not have hyperlinks in the comments field so that, when we look at our music, we can go straight to relevant pages.

So for example, I could browse on my PSP the opera libretto or some interesting analysis - all I need to do is google some interesting websites and put a link to it into the comment field.

Problem: I can't access the comment field on the web interface. Any solutions? Oh this is going to be an Erland thing isn't it? Custom Scan, yeah, must try to get my head round it... Any help anyone?

Of course, an even better solution would be to just google(/wikipedia/whatever) it. What I want is a system that gives me a 'find info' link to click on, and it sends the track info (artist/album/track) to websites of my choosing.

Remember that it's always a pain to enter URLs (or even artist names into a search engine) when you're using a handheld device, so such a quick system would be great. Since the next step is a Jive platform, which will be a nice handheld remote with web browsing capabilities (?), we need a good way to get track info onto it.

Comments anyone? I'll shut up now :)

Adam

bephillips
2007-05-08, 15:44
I like the idea of links in flac comments. I already do this. I just checked, and links in comments are already shown as clickable when song information is displayed. At least in Fishbone. Here's a screen shot:

On a similar note, I'd like to be able to see txt (and other)files when I'm browsing the music folder in the web interface. I have a lot of downloaded live concert recordings, each of which has an associated info txt file. It would be nice to be able to view these from within the web interface. I think when the user is browsing the music folder, files that are not recognized as audio files should be shown, and if clicked on, dealt with as the browser normally would deal with such a file: if a txt file, display the text, if image files, show these (maybe to view artwork that exists in addition to the cover.jpg image), if a pdf, opening the default pdf reader and viewing the file, if an html doc, display this. What do y'all think?

erland
2007-05-09, 13:25
Problem: I can't access the comment field on the web interface. Any solutions? Oh this is going to be an Erland thing isn't it? Custom Scan, yeah, must try to get my head round it... Any help anyone?
The comment field is scanned as normal by SlimServer, so Custom Scan will not provide any extra functionality in this case. As bephillips says the standard SongInfo page seems to linkify all information in the comment tag that begins with "http:", unfortunately it doesn't seem to use the full address including search parameters. I tried with a www.allmusic.com link to an artist, but the generated link only pointed to the main site and not to the specific artist.

As a side note, the next version of Custom Browse (1.20, which isn't released yet) will have a fully customizable SongInfo page (and the also the page header in all other browse pages in Custom Browse), so you can put pretty much anything on it. I'll try to include a "Search on Google" and "Search on Wikipedia" link in the 1.20 version or the next version.

bephillips
2007-05-09, 13:37
Neat. Then perhaps you could also address the other issue I noted. How about a link to "show all files in this folder"? Then extra image, text, or pdf files could be opened from the web interface.

bephillips
2007-05-09, 13:53
I see that you are right about URLs with search terms in them getting truncated at the question mark. Should this be reported as a bug?

erland
2007-05-09, 14:01
Neat. Then perhaps you could also address the other issue I noted. How about a link to "show all files in this folder"? Then extra image, text, or pdf files could be opened from the web interface.
I'll put them on the wishlist, is the text/pdf files named exactly as the artist/album/title tags or do they have a static name as info.txt or does they have different names so it would be best to show all files in the same directory ?

I see that you are right about URLs with search terms in them getting truncated at the question mark. Should this be reported as a bug?
I guess it is a bug, you might wan't to search for it to check if it already has been reported, else report it at http://bugs.slimdevices.com

bephillips
2007-05-09, 14:56
These files might be named anything. If following orthodox conventions they will be named similar to their folder, like:
mt2007-05-06.flac16 will contain the flacs named mt2007-05-06t01.flac etc. and a mt2007-05-06.txt file, usually also a mt2007-05-06.ffp flac fingerprint file which uniquely identifies the recording.

But not everyone follows the conventions, and one sees a lot of info.txt files and other naming schemes. Extra image or pdf files might be called anything.

Slimserver makes provision for cover.jpg and thumb.jpg, but what if there are multiple images included with an album? I'm thinking about pdfs of extensive liner notes perhaps with integrated text and graphics that one might not want to read as flac comments, or extra artwork, for instance all the posters and stickers that came with the original Dark Side of the Moon LP release.

So I think it would be easiest to just show a list of all the files in the folder that the browser is able to display. As I said, I think the standard browse of the music folder should just show these other files. Perhaps this could be an option in your wonderful Custom Browse, which I have only recently started using. Something like "Browse Music Folder (audio only)" and "Browse Music Foder (all files)".

bephillips
2007-05-09, 17:51
Here is the new bug about URLs getting truncated. Y'all can now vote for it.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4982

adamslim
2007-05-10, 06:28
Cheers guys. I needed to clear and rescan my library to make the comment URLs work (I have configured MP3Tag not to update the time stamp when I just amend tags, so SS wasn't spotting the changes), but I do get the bug with incomplete URLs.

Erland, your new scan addition would be great. Ideally, we would be able to select what data (artist/composer/album/track, etc) was sent, and what search engines were used.

If you do come to do something like this, start a new thread for info. Ideas that come to mind are different search engines for different genres (classical vs pop, most obviously) and the possibility of creating a custom tag field for submission that contained info like "www.google.co.uk?Beethoven+String+Quartet+131" maybe.

Adam

erland
2007-05-10, 22:49
I'll release Custom Browse 1.20 in the next days/weeks, we can then start a discussion of the exact details and improvements how it should work.

A screenshot of the current album page in the new version on my development machine is attached, you can see the url for LastFm in the status bar at the bottom of the image. It uses the standard ALBUM tag so you don't need to tag anything extra. The same links exists on artist and song pages. You can filter which search engines to show for different genres. I'll also look at reading the complete url or pattern from a tag (COMMENT tag or custom tag) for even better customization.

erland
2007-05-13, 13:52
Custom Browse 1.20 has now been released, it contains functionality to show the links shown in the previous screenshot and additionally also links set in COMMENT tags.