PDA

View Full Version : Gapless synchronized play: impossible?

Kyle
2007-05-07, 18:11
I realize it is not possible now, but is it technically impossible or just not yet?

wr420
2007-05-07, 20:43
I have 5 SB's and I love them and the whole concept of slimserver and everything it has done to my music listening habbits.
BUT.. the often flaky synchronization of Slimserver is sometimes frustrating especially from the "whole house audio" standpoint.

I used to follow the software road map in hopes that the finite clock thing would pan out but now it isn't on the road map anymore.

I would like to be able to sync players and turn them on and off at
will without restarting songs or otherwise disrupting the current
music listening experience.

I would like to play 70 minute files without them drifting off sync after 15 minutes.

I notice that live internet streams behave better than pre recorded streams or files. Could slimserver be tricked into treating all music like live streams?

Please don't take this as a rant. I love my squeezebox and talk them up to anyone who will listen but I would like to know if this is a realistic expectation or not.

Do others also feel that the sync function needs work bad?

I realize the logitec thing probably derailed some of the development towards ease of use and stability for the masses and I understand that.
Just wondering if perfecting synchronization just got put on the back burner or written off altogether.

am I beating a dead horse?

A concerned citizen.

blader_se
2007-05-07, 23:52
I'm also a fan of the squeezebox and would like to see perfect syncing the same music across the house.

discocarp
2007-05-08, 05:58
Throw me on the list of people wanting the sync worked on. Its a great idea, but can be pretty frustrating when it doesn't work.

Ben Sandee
2007-05-08, 07:22
On 5/7/07, wr420 <wr420.2q8wsz1178595901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
> I realize the logitec thing probably derailed some of the development
> towards ease of use and stability for the masses and I understand
> that.
> Just wondering if perfecting synchronization just got put on the back
> burner or written off altogether.

There is work being done and discussions are ongoing (you just need to look
in the right place). I think it's a mistake to think that it's an either/or
thing because the developers who can help with sync may not be the ones who
are working on ease of use and stability anyways.

What you surely won't see is these new sync features showing up in the
6.5.xbranch -- and
7.0 is still aways off still.

Ben

Kyle
2007-05-08, 09:34
Is there a bug we can vote for?

Ben Sandee
2007-05-08, 10:05
On 5/8/07, Kyle <Kyle.2q9wgb1178642101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Is there a bug we can vote for?

Probably this one:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=259

Ben

awy
2007-05-10, 02:57
I'm doing some work on sync (see elsewhere in these forums). My current focus is on keeping players in sync, and adjusting them when they get out of sync with each other.

This should of course, also address the issue of players starting up out of sync, by resyncing them after a short, but also very annoying interval. Actually, my conclusion so far is that the start-out-of-sync phenomenon is mostly related to the very small pre-start synchronization buffer that is defined: just 128 bytes. This is probably fine on a fast, uncongested and wired network with a sufficiently powerful server, but in many cases it is just not enough. I have not found a way (not that I have looked too hard) of setting the syncBufferThreshold preference for players from the web interface - I have simply patched the default in the source code (to 4000). Now I hardly ever get out-of-sync startups.

I would like to be able to sync players and turn them on and off at will without restarting songs or otherwise disrupting the current music listening experience.

I have some ideas for dynamically adding players to a sync group without forcing track restart but it will come later.

I would like to play 70 minute files without them drifting off sync after 15 minutes.

The resync work should handle that.

I notice that live internet streams behave better than pre recorded streams or files. Could slimserver be tricked into treating all music like live streams?

Perhaps this is just a bitrate issue, in that the lower bitrate of most internet streams does not result in occasional buffer starvation for some devices?

Alan.