PDA

View Full Version : Connect to KEXP Uncompressed

dewinkle
2007-05-05, 10:08
Does anyone know how I can connect to KEXP using the uncompressed format (1.44)? I am a newbie, and just got my SB3. I searched these forums, but didn't really find an answer. I tried via the Slimserver and squeezenetwork using a URL of http://kexp.org/audio/kexp-uncomp.asx and all that happens in the KEXP welcome message just keeps playing over and over, but it never connects to the streaming music. Thanks for your help.

bpa
2007-05-05, 12:37
Try this - it is the 2nd URL in the ASX file
mms://media-wm.cac.washington.edu/KEXP-Uncompressed

However because you get the announcements playing lots of times - I think you may not be able to play the uncompressed stream because of network issues.

dewinkle
2007-05-05, 16:20
Thanks bpa. Good call. It tries to fill the buffer, waits for a couple of seconds, and then just keeps trying. It obviously finds the link, but never srteams the sounds.

andyg
2007-05-05, 16:35
I looked at this stream a while ago, and if I recall correctly the issue is that they are using plain WAV audio inside of an ASF container. We assume anything with mms:// is going to be WMA, and so SlimServer tells the decoder that it's going to be getting WMA audio. I didn't spend enough time on it to see if it's possible to fix this.

Sending out uncompressed WAV is just silly though, they could at least use FLAC!

dewinkle
2007-05-08, 07:50
I looked at this stream a while ago, and if I recall correctly the issue is that they are using plain WAV audio inside of an ASF container. We assume anything with mms:// is going to be WMA, and so SlimServer tells the decoder that it's going to be getting WMA audio. I didn't spend enough time on it to see if it's possible to fix this.

Sending out uncompressed WAV is just silly though, they could at least use FLAC!

I can't agree with you more on the use of FLAC vs WAV, but it wouldn't be great to have the SB work with a 1.4MB stream, even if it is a WAV, on one the best (if not the best) radio station in the US. I have the SB attached to a high end audio system, and given the popularity of this device in the audiophile community that would be a big hit.

davepeck
2008-10-23, 19:38
Did any progress get made on this? Would love to listen to KEXP uncompressed, too.

I have a bizarre setup to do this right now, since SqueezeCenter can't handle the stream:

1. Open the stream in VLC on my laptop
2. Configure VLC to serve its own uncompressed stream
3. Point the squeezebox to my laptop.

Absurd, but it works...

andyg
2008-10-23, 19:45
No, I don't know if it's really worth fixing to be honest. Does it work with wmadec or mplayer transcoding?

munkivelli
2008-10-23, 21:25
Speaking of kexp, is anyone else having trouble getting mp3 streams of kexp to work this evening? I can get the wma stream to work, but can't get an mp3 stream to work either by manually entering in the address of the stream or connecting to the stream through RadioTime.

EDIT: never mind.... it's working again. I think the stream must have been down momentarily.